Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am done reloading for the day. I got 100 rounds loaded with my single stage Herters but I am worn out and plan to stay in the house for a while. Our outside temp and the thermometer reads 109 in my garage! I want to turn on the swamp cooler but am afraid that the humidity might get too high for my powder charge. I noticed before that when I had the swamp cooler on, the powder (W231) has a tendency to not drop as well as when it is dry. It's too early for these temps to hit us already. And to think, summer is just getting started.
Tommy:confused:

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Yep on a normal summer day in my area all you have to do is walk outside and stand there not moving for the sweat to start pouring out of you. 95% humidity is a free sauna with no control knob.
Out of curiosity how much does it cost per round when reloading .45acp?

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep on a normal summer day in my area all you have to do is walk outside and stand there not moving for the sweat to start pouring out of you. 95% humidity is a free sauna with no control knob.
Out of curiosity how much does it cost per round when reloading .45acp?
Buster,
I am guessing because the of cost fluctuation of powder costs. Using Berry bullets which I buy direct because I have an account with them a box of 230gr. RN, (73.00 per 500, large pistol primers (33.00-36.00 per 1K) and I got a 1lbs. can of Titegroup cost me $40.00 and of course I have about 3500-4000 rounds of empty brass. I am loading about half of what a box of Remington 230 gr. RN runs me. So, figure that it runs about .23-.25 cents per round. When I go to the range they are good about letting me sweep up my rounds and also assorted rounds on the floor. The assorted rounds will sell for $1.20 per lbs. which helps lower loading costs but not a lot. I took 32lbs of assorted brass over last week and received about $38.00 (enough to cover the cost of Winchester large pistol primers). I was at Bass Pro last week and I saw a bag of unprimed, new brass casings sell for $34.00 per 100 rounds. Bass Pro is not customer nor user friendly.
Tommy

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I was wondering because while being in a gun store I would see the powder, casings, bullets and primers and I thought holy crap that seemed to add up being expensive to me. Then add $500-$700 for a press and equipment on top of the materials needed to make a round. As little as I shoot it would take me years and years to be profitable reloading my own. I have thought many times about getting into it then I hear materials for reloading were as hard to find as ready ammo.
.23-.25 cost per round still sounds pretty high to me. I just checked and I can buy factory reloads for .276 per rnd.
I do understand you can reload better quality ammo than factory ammo.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was wondering because while being in a gun store I would see the powder, casings, bullets and primers and I thought holy crap that seemed to add up being expensive to me. Then add $500-$700 for a press and equipment on top of the materials needed to make a round. As little as I shoot it would take me years and years to be profitable reloading my own. I have thought many times about getting into it then I hear materials for reloading were as hard to find as ready ammo.
.23-.25 cost per round still sounds pretty high to me. I just checked and I can buy factory reloads for .276 per rnd.
I do understand you can reload better quality ammo than factory ammo.
Buster,
You don't have to spend an exorbitant amount of money to get into reloading .45 cal. You can buy a Lee Champion loader (single stage) and the dies fairly cheap. Probably less than $200.00 I would guess. Scrounge the brass you need, look online for different bullets or you can get set up with Berry bullets and have them set up an account for you. Doesn't cost anything there. Plus they have a variety of bullets, I just chose the 230 gr. RN because that's what the 1911's were set up to shoot. RCBS dies are going to be the most costly so look at Lee and Hornady and make sure you buy carbide dies. You have your powder sources so use them. Bullseye, W231, Titegroup, are usually the best powders to use. I really like Bullseye. BUT remember, single stage reloading takes a lot of time. If I had the money, I would convert my Dillon Square D progressive over to .45 but right now I don't have the money. It's about a $100.00 to convert it over but my finances are really tight with just my SS. I am using a very old reloader (from the 60's) and I have to resize my bullet, then deprime and rebell the mouth of the casing, hand prime and then load. With a Lee I think you can deprime and prime all in one step(not completely sure) but worth looking into. If you shoot a lot of .45, then the savings is worth it. I also shoot 9mm but I use my Dillon for reloading and can crank out about 200-250 rounds per hour. Single stage takes much longer however, for experimentation. .45 is very flexible as far as loads and length go. Same with the powder loads, you can be flexible. I have about 1500 rounds of 9mm on hand and close to the same with .45. I definitely shoot almost all .45 lately so I go through a lot of ammo. Look on the net and do some research, and then think about it. If you decide you might want to research it some more, then send me a PM and we can talk.
Tommy

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I have plenty of brass as I pickup most all of what I shoot. I had sold a gun a couple years ago and sold all the brass and even collected lead from my sand box. I think I sold it all to him for $6. I have plenty of casings again now. I have thought about taking my brass to Freedom Ammo in Houston for some discount on ammo. I mostly have 38, 9, 40, and 45 with smaller amounts of 357,32, and 380.
I bought a de-primer and primer tools to load wax bullets. I priced out a Dillon 550 and it came to around $700. That's when I said no more. If I was 20 years younger I might get into it but not now.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
You don't save any money by reloading.
You just shoot a lot more.......
At least that's the way it went with me.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Magnum that's what I heard also from most all that reloaded.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mag,
I gotta differ with you buddy. I do save money by reloading, mostly 9mm. I told you I use W231, and Berry's 115 gr. RN and I pick up all kinds of casings at the range. I sat and figured my cost on reloading 9MM and it came out to about .13 cents a round. Out here, a box of Blazer (which is crap ammo, same with Tulammo) they charge $25.00 for a box of 50. My .45 rounds with Remington RN run about $21.00(cheapest) to almost $30.00 rounds per box of 50. I don't know how your prices run, but out here ammo is not cheap. You have to remember that out here we have open carry and even man jack is buying up pistols and ammo so the retailers stick it to you. For me loading .45 is a pain with single stage but it beats the alternative. It's time consuming and tedious however I am able to shoot more rounds when I hit the range.
Tommy

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have plenty of brass as I pickup most all of what I shoot. I had sold a gun a couple years ago and sold all the brass and even collected lead from my sand box. I think I sold it all to him for $6. I have plenty of casings again now. I have thought about taking my brass to Freedom Ammo in Houston for some discount on ammo. I mostly have 38, 9, 40, and 45 with smaller amounts of 357,32, and 380.
I bought a de-primer and primer tools to load wax bullets. I priced out a Dillon 550 and it came to around $700. That's when I said no more. If I was 20 years younger I might get into it but not now.
Buster,
Check out the Dillon Square D. The basic loader runs about $389.00 and then there are a few things that you will need that cost extra. The Square D is one step below the 550 and it requires hand indexing each round. The Square D indexes automatically. Realistically a fairly well Square D set up will run in the neighborhood of $450.00-475.00. I don't have all the things that they recommend on mine. I have the primer buzzer to let you know when you are low on primers, the dead primer catch box, and the tray that catches loaded rounds. Warranty is lifetime regardless of who bought it and how old it is. Dillon's is only 25 miles from me and sometimes I run up there to check out parts I may need. Keep it simple!! Simple is cheaper and just as effective. The 550 can load rounds faster BUT why spend that kind of money when the lower price one will do the same thing only at a slower speed.
Tommy

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Well Tommy, you caught me. I do save money reloading nowadays....:duck:

Only because these days I only shoot a reasonable amount of ammo and I use cheep plated bullets in my autos for practice.
I use cheep lead bullets for plinking/practice in revolvers.

But in the early days I spent every bit as much when I loaded my own. Reloading was so interesting I went overboard with it.
Experimenting with every possible combination while using the best components kinda became an obsession.
I thought I needed to use high-tech bullets at top speed in all of my ammo. That way my loads were better than factory.
And I was shooting at least three times or more ammo than I used to shoot with factory.

After I learned to go at reasonably, well I do save somewhere around 40%-70% depending. In some cases maybe more.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I heard the reason to go with the Dillon 550 rather than the Square D was because the 550 can do neck down casings, rifle rounds, that the Square D can't do. Also the 550 is only about $100-$150 more than the Square D. Gunslingers like to think ahead so they go with the 550. I also read so many agree the Dillon is the best on the market especially with the lifetime guarantee. So many complain the Lee is a constant re-adjust or repair nightmare. So the talk is buy a Dillon one time and be done with it. Only negative I have heard is can only use Dillon dies and parts which are a little more expensive. But there again you get Dillon quality in their equipment. I don't really give a crap really because I have pretty much given up on starting to reload.
Wow Tommy AZ ammo prices are sky high compared to here. $21 for 9mm is unreal.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
where I save money is on the VERY expensive rounds, like 460 mag, 45-70, 444 , 300 win mag.

I save 50-75% on those..

The 9mm, 45, 44, , yeah I save a little, not a lot.
That depends on how much I shoot.

Jim

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Buster,
I owe you and apology and for that I am sorry. I forgot that you want to load rifle rounds, I know both you and Jim are heavily involved in rifle shooting whereas I haven't fired a rifle in years not reloaded any rifle. Yes you would have to have the Dillon 550 to do rifle as you can only reload pistol on the Square D. I am sorry and did not mean to mislead you. I guess since I shoot only pistol anymore I was kind of closed minded when we talked about the Dillon reloaders. Did NOT mean to mislead you!!!!!
Tommy

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
I was the same way Magnum when I started into it,I shot a lot more but I still saved if I was to compare how much it would have cost me to shoot that much factory ammo.

It seemed to me that the first time I was loading new brass the cost was about the same as factory but when I starting reloading the brass and the cost of the brass was no longer in the equation,then I saved. The brass itself is around half the cost if it's new so the longer it last the more I save. Now I mainly shoot to work up new loads occasionally,sight my guns and hunt with them. I don't just go out to shoot much anymore.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Tommy you didn't mislead me. I was stating something I had heard about reloading rifle ammo. I only have one rifle and I bet I haven't shot it 20 times. I just wanted a hunting rifle so I bought a JB marked older Marlin 336c 30-30. I really like the looks and function of the lever rifles. It has been mostly a safe queen since I really don't hunt. There might not be much left of a rabbit shot with a 30-30. I am mostly into target shooting handguns for CC. Because of ammo costs I don't even target shoot very often. I relate shooting to burning dollars.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts