Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think about ccw off and on, more on lately. Don't know why, just geezer mental doodling probably. Keep pulling the S&W Model 10 3" out of the drawer, and every time it seems too bulky for warm weather ccw. Last evening, with not much volition, I ordered a Ruger SR40C stainless online. Dammit, I think I need a mean old woman to watch over me.

It is supposed to show up at the semi-local GS Tuesday, so I should be field-stripping it by week's end.

Advice welcome, including about the gun.

:eek:

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Advice....Quit thinking and mentally doodling.

Just start carrying....next week.

Jim

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I have the SR40c and I carried it maybe a year before I went to the LCR 357. I liked the SR40c the best for taking the snap out of the 4o cal. I chose it over the Glock 27 and the XDM 3.8 compact. I can shoot a box of .40 with no problem. I really didn't like shooting 10 rounds from the G27 and the guy that bought it says his wife's hand takes a beating from the gun.
The reason I went to the LCR was basically due to no safety to wonder about, less chance of a jam, and ease of concealed carrying.
A friend of mine has the 9c and he was pleasantly surprised how little difference there was when shooting his 9c then my 40c. I believe you will really like the SR40c.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
I got a mean old woman to watch over me. She gave up on the guns years ago.

Congrats on the new pistola. Post some pics & a range report when ya gan.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Advice....Quit thinking and mentally doodling.

Just start carrying....next week.

Jim
:D

I've been tapering off on the useful thinking for some time. The mental doodling seems to be filling that space.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a mean old woman to watch over me. She gave up on the guns years ago.

Congrats on the new pistola. Post some pics & a range report when ya gan.
Thanks for the info. Latching on to a mean old woman was worrying me.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
sounds like your getting a great gun, good luck. Back when I shot the 40 Accurate arms #5 under a 165 grn bullet was the most accurate load I found.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tip. I've used Acc #5, have some on hand. My last batch I used Longshot in back of 180gr. in my Tanfoglio and liked it. I'll be running factory ammo the 1st day out, just in case.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I'd say make sure you run a few hundred rounds through it before you start carrying it to make sure it's broken in.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I'd say make sure you run a few hundred rounds through it before you start carrying it to make sure it's broken in.

And be sure to run a box of carry ammo threw it before carrying. Whatever you choose to carry in it. Same with when you change ammo. Seems common knowledge but I always am reminding people who carry and a few times they found problems with the ammo. Better safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And be sure to run a box of carry ammo threw it before carrying. Whatever you choose to carry in it. Same with when you change ammo. Seems common knowledge but I always am reminding people who carry and a few times they found problems with the ammo. Better safe than sorry.
I discovered that back when I was using a 1911 (not Ruger) for my bedside gun. Roundnose FMJ fed 100%, JHP had to be carefully selected.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just brought the gun back from the GS, it's setting in front of me now. It's really not much more compact than my Grand Power P1 - except for the stock. That's a significant 'except' though. I'll clean it, swap out the finger extension on the mags, and take it to the range in the morning. Probably ought to talk about the rang results in that there subforum, eh?

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now you get to shop holsters and an extra mag pouch....... :headscratch:
Already ordered a DeSantis 'in or out' holster for a 1st trial. Not sure about the mag pouch, how to make use of it when the, ah, immediate need arises. Pointers welcomed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts