Dog

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by conservative, Oct 3, 2017.

1. conservative

conservative New Member

I have a miniature poodle who bites. We've tried everything and as a last resort we took him to the vet. She put him on pain medication for his sciatic nerve problem in his hip. This has helped with the biting, but he is still jumpy and skittish. He acts like he may bite when I go to put a leash on him. And that's the point of my question which is: Is there any alternative to a leash? Been looking but can't find anything.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2017
  2. havasu

havasu In the army now..

A leash or a harness? Is the dog young? Many times that will fight (and bite) when a dog is introduced to something new. If the dog is older, the dog may be biting due to pain. Further testing may be necessary if this is something the dog use to love to do, but doesn't anymore.

I don't know much but having trained over 100 police dogs throughout the United States, I can help you provided you give me enough information.

3. conservative

conservative New Member

He is five and he has some anxiety issues I think. He hasn't always given trouble over the leash but lately it's a gamble on wether he'll cooperate.

4. havasu

havasu In the army now..

I bet if he bites, you pull away, thus letting him know that his actions always cause the same reaction. You need to break this bad habit and let him know every time he snaps at you, you have an reaction, and that is a muzzle.

But first, get a complete vet review, including x-rays, to make sure this is not medically related. When the leash is on, always do something fun, praise the hell out of him, and end on a high note. Take off the leash, tell him in a high voice that he did real good, and within days, your dog will learn that something positive and happy comes from him getting on a leash.

5. conservative

conservative New Member

Well I do know his hip causes him pain and if it goes off when we are nearby, he thinks we hurt him.

6. conservative

conservative New Member

So I think it's caused him to think we are going to hurt him when we take his leash on or off. And he has bit us when we're just petting him as well. So it's pretty much down to figuring out a solution really soon or putting him down.

7. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Displastic hips can be real painful. Being only 5 years old, I'm certain he would be a good candidate for surgery. A little hint. Buy insurance for the dog, then go to another vet for treatment. They may cover the costs.... If you get a good vet.

8. conservative

conservative New Member

My previous vet told me that they would prefer to do the surgeries after he was older because it limits his mobility .

9. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

I think Havasu will be your best source of information in this case.
    Is he dysplastic or what is causing his sciatic problems?

10. conservative

conservative New Member

I don't know . They all they told me was sciatic. When I get some I will take the kid to another vet and get the full exam. But until then..

11. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

I would definitely get a second opinion and I would also look into chiropractic. I’ve seen amazing changes in animals with acupuncture and or chiropractic. A few of my own animals over the year as well.
    Pain can make them very cranky. I’ve seen miracles with just an adjustment that stops a pinched nerve.
    Not saying that’s what’s going on but I would recommend at least a consultation.
    Keep us posted and good luck!

12. havasu

havasu In the army now..

I too have seem great results from canine acupuncture and massage therapy. Since dogs can't speak, and x-rays only show broken bones, the therapists have the ability to do great diagnostics on our little guys.

13. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I was surprised when at my chiropractor that he had pictures of dogs. He said yes quite often dogs can be helped this way.

14. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Common in horses too. Acupuncture as well in dogs, cats and horses.