Does Anyone Really buy from Midway (midwayusa.com) ??

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by rjtmac, Feb 8, 2014.

1. rjtmac

rjtmac Texan by Birth • Grace

I was just wondering who on the forums actually buys from Midway USA. I just can't anymore.

The last few months Midway has become only a shopping research source. I look on their site to find products and get reviews. I just can't buy from them.

Reason …. their outrageous Shipping and/or Handling Charges. Any ammo sale price quickly zooms above the normal prices of most other sellers when you figure in their over the top shipping charges. In my experience this holds true across their inventory.

When I find a product I need or want … I go and use Midway to get specs and reviews ( and I use others also ) then straight to ebay or Amazon to purchase. The Amazon and eBay prices normally are normally equal to or better than the Midway sale price and the shipping is more times than not FREE or a nominal $3.00 to $5.00.

I swore off them completely two nights ago. Got a sale notice via email from Midway on a Caldwell Resetting Target System 22 Caliber Rimfire Steel … Regular Price $25.49 on Sale for $18.99. Looked like a kinda nifty little target for the kids to use so I decided to order 2 after reading reviews. Went through the buying steps and got to the point to finalize and get shipping charges. $37.98 for the 2 targets and $37.50 Shipping. $75.48 for $38.00 worth of purchase. Needless to say a great big :mad: STOP SIGN :mad: appeared before my eyes.

Straight to Amazon. Found them for $19.00 each and FREE 2 day Shipping. $38.00 total. Guess where I ordered from ??

Why do companies like Midway who make millions lure in customers with misleading low prices only to try and screw you with shipping charges ??

No wonder the CEO Larry Potterfield's picture on their home page has that crap eating grin on his face. He is laughing under his breath at all the gullible people who swallow those charges and go right ahead and order from Midway.

Well not me again. No longer on their mailing list. No longer registered on their site. The whole sham leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Anybody else feeling this frustration ??

2. Mazz

Mazz New Member

I had two sights in my shopping cart, one for my SP101 and one for my GP100. About $75. Shipping was only around $5, with the UPS/USPS shipping. But I hesitated a day. Then one of the sights was out of stock. So, I looked at Amazon. They had both through another store selling on Amazon. About $50 and free shipping. Saved myself $30. Sorry Larry, you missed another opportunity to rake in from one of your "customers".

Seems to be a common theme anymore with midwayusa.

3. buildit

buildit Goofy Owner

I've used them in the past but yes current prices have gone up a lot so I'm buying local or using other sites.

4. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture New Member

I would buy brass from them if they ever get any that I want. I've been on the waiting list for 257-Roberts +P for a year now.

Generally Amazon has a better price, if they have what you want.

5. redmist3455

redmist3455 New Member

I bought a scope for my .22 a while back. The price on Midway was close to $160. I got it off Amazon for $90.50. That says everything right there.

6. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

I only look at midway before finding what I need on amazon are eBay.

7. Jimbo1

Jimbo1 New Member

Nope. To expensive like other posters have stated

8. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

I will use them as a last resort......

9. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Depends on what I need. Sometimes it's simply easier to pay a bit more for shipping to get what you need in a few days. I'd rather spend a bit more locally anyways but not always an option.

10. hombre243

hombre243 New Member

Midway is now Midway down on my list of sellers

I slowed down buying from Midway. Same reason as most others posted here. I also use Amazon. Seems like Midway is pricing himself out of the market. Too bad. Before the gold rush LP was one of the most reasonable.

11. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I still do,in fact I just got some bullets,labels and plastic boxes this week.

12. shadecorp

shadecorp Member

Was looking for ammo.,
    Almost ordered,
    saw shipping charges,
    Did Not order.

13. redhawk4life

redhawk4life New Member

Midsouth seems to have better prices and shipping costs. Also better at backorders

14. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Midway is a last desperate order place for us anymore.
    Same reason as already stated.
    Even ordering a tiny part that can be shipped in a small envelope they charge outrageous shipping on. Plus it's SLOW!
    To bad. We used to do a lot of business with them.

15. autobotxj

autobotxj New Member

I just ordered a Leatherwood scope for my GSR because it was the cheapest i could find. They also offered free shipping which was a bonus! However, at checkout, they dd not honor free shipping because I'm in Hawai'i. Even though i chose usps, i still had to pay shipping. We are a State you know! But, I'm used to it and ordered anyway. It got here quick and overall, i would say they are as good as other places. Like I said, I'm used to shipping ripoffs.

16. Grizz12

Grizz12 New Member

The fact Hawaii is a state has nothing to do with shipping prices, you should know that by now. It is a huge extra expense flying or shipping products over there and to Alaska. Your not getting ripped off, your paying the price for living so far away, deal with it...

17. Grizz12

Grizz12 New Member

Just because a company has millions if sales does not mean they are turning a profit or trying to screw you with shipping charges. Try starting your own business and you will learn

18. autobotxj

autobotxj New Member

Like i said, I'm used to it so you deal with my frustration. Don't read my posts if you cannot deal with it. And, as i mentioned, if you use usps, there is a Flat rate offered for use in the USA. Flat Rate meaning all states pay a single price for anything that fits in their box. So yeah, we are getting ripped off if they use USPS.

19. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

I love Midway. I've purchased quite a few things over the years. Arrives fast and I always receive exactly what I ordered. No complaints here.

20. MemphisJim1

MemphisJim1 New Member

Midway used to be my "go to" source for most things. Over the past two years, though, I've become more of a comparison shopper and Midway has become just another source. My own suspicion is that the MBAs have taken over the administrative functions as the Potterfields spend more of their time in the field on hunting trips, etc. (Please DO NOT interpret this remark as derogatory toward them in any way. They've built a highly successful business and fully deserve to enjoy the fruits of their labor. In their absence, though, someone has to run the business; I guess that's what MBAs are for.) Like many, I sometimes think the "shipping & handling charges" are excessive, especially compared to what so many others charge. Let the record show that I particularly appreciate the roles the Potterfields and Midway play in supporting shooting activities and sponsoring shooting events as well as supporting the NRA and Second Amendment causes. And I believe they conduct the business in an ethical manner. But, I'm on Social Security and really have to watch a buck.