Ruger Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many other firearm enthusiasts, in addition to recreational shooting and firearm collecting (off topic question: how many firearms are needed to be considered a collector?) I have additional hobbies. One of those hobbies is motorcycle touring on my 2002 Harley Road King. I have carried on short rides in my home state of Massachusetts with my non-Ruger .380 in a pocket holster but I really don’t make a habit of carrying while riding. However, with the possibility of the National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act, I have begun thinking about how can I safely and comfortably carry while riding.

Although I like my little .380, I’d prefer to carry something larger, like my Security-Six. Unfortunately, the Don Hume model 721 holster I have does not stay concealed under my riding jacket so I’ve got to figure something else out, especially for warm weather riding, too.

Do any other RugerTalk members ride with larger revolvers or pistols? If so, what type of holster do you use? I imagine that a vertical shoulder holster rig would be good for concealment of larger revolvers when it is cool enough to wear a jacket but I’ve never used one before so I wouldn’t know. Please note that at this time I am not actively looking for a new handgun so although I would appreciate new pistol or revolver suggestions for carrying on the motorcycle, I’m really only interested in holster information.

I attempted to research this topic on-line and even asked these questions on a motorcycle forum I frequent but as you can probably expect, I was over loaded with on-line sales propaganda and advised by the motorcycle forum members to do things like “just tuck it in your pants” or “leave it in your saddlebag”.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
5,591 Posts
I've ridden thru several states on my 2000 Road King. I carry my Glock 23, .40 cal, in my high rise Tex Shoemaker leather holster. If it is hot, i just tuck it in my glove bags, which are behind my calf.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I don't own a motorcycle, but if I did and wanted to cc while riding, I'd carry a Hipoint c9. Why? Because if I scratched it up or broke it, I wouldn't care. Hipoint would fix it.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Back when I rode, just about everyone that had a bike carried. This was before concealed carry was allowed. Open carry was legal so most had belt holsters. Whenever we went someplace that did not allow firearms the guns went into my helmet bag on my full dresser. Now I carry an LC9 in a pocket holster or a belt slide holster with a shirt hung over it.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestion havasu. Like many of the other custom leather work websites I've looked at, the Tex Shoemaker & Sons holsters look like they're a quality product. Wish I had surplus funds to purchase several of their items.

SavageGuy, I'm not sure if I should thank you or curse you. As I stated, I wasn't looking to purchase any new firearms right now, but your suggestion and the fact that one of my two favorite local gun shops is listed as a dealer for Hi-Point, makes me want to spend the short money and buy one. Guess I'll be heading to the store soon to talk about the possibility. However, I'll still need to purchase a holster, too.

richr, I've never considered cross-draw but I'll look into it (already watched a couple You Tube videos). Not sure that it will be the holster or preferred method for me as I think my paunch may cause discomfort. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Oldhand, the group of guys and gals I ride with were actually shocked when they found out I had a permit to carry (here in MA we don't usually start our conversations with firearm discussions, too many anti-gun proponents). However, since they found out, two of my friends have also gotten their permits. I actually went with one of them just last week when he bought his first handgun. He bought an M&P Bodyguard. I tried to convince him to buy Ruger but there weren't any in the case in his price range. After the purchase we stopped off at my house for a tear down and cleaning before we were off to the range. When we returned a couple hours later, our wives said we looked as happy as two teenage girls who just returned from clothes shopping. They were right, but I digress..

I too, have ridden with my .380 in a belt slide holster but I find it tends to catch on my jacket. Maybe I need a bigger jacket? And in the warmer weather, any lighter shirt I wear over it would often blow around exposing the gun to any and all curious onlookers. I'd rather not get that kind of attention. Thanks for sharing.

Spring and the riding season is still a long way off so I've got plenty of time to explore my options. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I mean normally buying a handgun means spending at least 300....but, the cost of a Hi-Point pistol is the same price as filling your truck up with gas in LA.........

·
BigDogJames
25 Posts
When riding one of my choppers I carry (depending on the season) either my Ruger SR1911, or my S&W 40 Shield. Both with IWB Alien Gear original leather back holsters. I also carry extra magazines in a closed top ammo pouch. Comfort and with a snap/zippered up vest or jacket, never a problem keeping it concealed.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I did carry on a Motorcycle my Holster was a pancake style with a thumb break security with just a tee shirt and vest it stayed concealed .In the cold weather I carried in the vest pocket built in holster for security and concealment after 50 yrs of riding I gave it up after an accident someone backed into me with a ladder in their pickup breaking my shoulder knocking me off the Bike the road king continued down the road without me it went into a culvert and was totaled . At my age I don't want to take a hit like that again. No more Motorcycle for me .

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I carry my full sized Glock when I am on my Goldwing.
It fits nicely in its Sticky holster in an inside pocket of my riding jacket.

·
Banned
405 Posts
Four year old dredged up post, must be getting bored. But, no I don't carry on a motorcycle, guns are too dang heavy and there's no holsters available for 'em. I'll let the bike carry the load.
Somebody here once claimed that leather holsters are "stinky", but I think that "cheap dude" needs to wash his upper lip once in a while:

I once met another biker who had a very bad case of RA, but once he took my advice and started using talcum powder on his saddle, it just about cured up. Used to be much worse:

·
Registered
107 Posts
That's pretty much NORMAL and to be expected.
And I would expect nothing less than the condescending, belittling, and arrogant remarks coming from a deity such as yourself.

This is a thread about carrying while riding a motorcycle, and you had to go off on some BS tangent to satisfy your urge to shove it up my ass every chance you get. Nice job Dennis.

You try very hard to impress everyone with your self proclaimed knowledge of Ruger pistols, and you'd like to think that that's what you're know for, but you're wrong...you're known for your nasty behaviour, behaviour that has gotten you BANNED from numerous discussion forums for continuously violating their Terms of Service. All one has to do is question your authority or present experiences that you feel threatened by, and they become the target of your incessant trolling.

The only reason you've survived at RugerTalk for as long as you have is because it appears that the moderator staff is asleep at the wheel. But sooner or later I have no doubt that your attitude will catch up with you here, and you'll once again find yourself searching for that discussion forum that hasn't heard of you yet, so you can once again do the only thing you know how, and that's to present your Ruger Mark pistol God routine, ultimately to get banished again, and again, and again...for the same reasons.

I guess life has taught you nothing. It must be hard for you at age 73 to still have to work for a living, spending all the time you do trying to drum up work, the type of work that is no longer needed by John Q. Public thanks to entities like Volquartsen and other aftermarket manufacturers. Perhaps if you'd decided to build upon a broader spectrum of skills to utilize in your youth, or had made better use of your money and savings while you were actually employed by a bonafide employer, you wouldn't have to resort to practically begging for work or have the need to bless us with such childish displays that you're known for because you're so bitter.

I don't expect a sensible response to this reply, as I have never received a sensible reply from you yet, only insults. I'm sure that in your child like mind you think that you have some kind of power over me or anyone who questions you, but nothing could be farther from the truth. I enjoy watching you make a fool of yourself, and the only reason noone else replies to you in kind here is because they don't or no longer want to deal with you...it's just not worth it.

Enjoy the one or two here who have nothing better to do than "like" your responses, as I'm sure they're the closest thing you've ever had that resembled a friend; faceless strangers on the internet who wouldn't know you if they fell over you in the street...

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, thanks for bringing this old thread back to life. I had forgotten all about it but now I can follow up and attempt to get things back on track...

When I ride with my Security-Six, I currently use a vertical shoulder holster that a local leather guy made. It is nothing fancy, but it does the job well (securing he revolver and staying conceled) as long as I wear a jacket, sweatshirt, or some other overshirt.

If I decide to carry my SR9E, I use a Vedder LightTuck Kydex IWB holster. Of course, to conceal it I have to wear an overgarment of some sort.

In the warmer months when I ride in just a tee shirt, I've been using my Smith and Wesson Chief's Special in either a pocket holster or an ankle holster.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the original topic since my last post back in 2017. I appreciate all of your suggestions and comments.

And although my rear doesn't get anything like the rear in the photo posted, I can tell you that Anti-Monkey Butt works well, especially on those long rides.:D

·
Banned
405 Posts
And I would expect nothing less than the condescending, belittling, and arrogant remarks coming from a deity such as yourself.

This is a thread about carrying while riding a motorcycle, and you had to go off on some BS tangent to satisfy your urge to shove it up my ass every chance you get. Nice job Dennis.

You try very hard to impress everyone with your self proclaimed knowledge of Ruger pistols, and you'd like to think that that's what you're know for, but you're wrong...you're known for your nasty behaviour, behaviour that has gotten you BANNED from numerous discussion forums for continuously violating their Terms of Service. All one has to do is question your authority or present experiences that you feel threatened by, and they become the target of your incessant trolling.

The only reason you've survived at RugerTalk for as long as you have is because it appears that the moderator staff is asleep at the wheel. But sooner or later I have no doubt that your attitude will catch up with you here, and you'll once again find yourself searching for that discussion forum that hasn't heard of you yet, so you can once again do the only thing you know how, and that's to present your Ruger Mark pistol God routine, ultimately to get banished again, and again, and again...for the same reasons.

I guess life has taught you nothing. It must be hard for you at age 73 to still have to work for a living, spending all the time you do trying to drum up work, the type of work that is no longer needed by John Q. Public thanks to entities like Volquartsen and other aftermarket manufacturers. Perhaps if you'd decided to build upon a broader spectrum of skills to utilize in your youth, or had made better use of your money and savings while you were actually employed by a bonafide employer, you wouldn't have to resort to practically begging for work or have the need to bless us with such childish displays that you're known for because you're so bitter.

I don't expect a sensible response to this reply, as I have never received a sensible reply from you yet, only insults. I'm sure that in your child like mind you think that you have some kind of power over me or anyone who questions you, but nothing could be farther from the truth. I enjoy watching you make a fool of yourself, and the only reason noone else replies to you in kind here is because they don't or no longer want to deal with you...it's just not worth it.

Enjoy the one or two here who have nothing better to do than "like" your responses, as I'm sure they're the closest thing you've ever had that resembled a friend; faceless strangers on the internet who wouldn't know you if they fell over you in the street...
^^^^^^^

1 - 20 of 22 Posts