Does anyone carry on a motorcycle?

Discussion in 'Holsters and Cases' started by Fireman22, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Fireman22

Fireman22 Active Member

Like many other firearm enthusiasts, in addition to recreational shooting and firearm collecting (off topic question: how many firearms are needed to be considered a collector?) I have additional hobbies. One of those hobbies is motorcycle touring on my 2002 Harley Road King. I have carried on short rides in my home state of Massachusetts with my non-Ruger .380 in a pocket holster but I really don’t make a habit of carrying while riding. However, with the possibility of the National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act, I have begun thinking about how can I safely and comfortably carry while riding.

Although I like my little .380, I’d prefer to carry something larger, like my Security-Six. Unfortunately, the Don Hume model 721 holster I have does not stay concealed under my riding jacket so I’ve got to figure something else out, especially for warm weather riding, too.

Do any other RugerTalk members ride with larger revolvers or pistols? If so, what type of holster do you use? I imagine that a vertical shoulder holster rig would be good for concealment of larger revolvers when it is cool enough to wear a jacket but I’ve never used one before so I wouldn’t know. Please note that at this time I am not actively looking for a new handgun so although I would appreciate new pistol or revolver suggestions for carrying on the motorcycle, I’m really only interested in holster information.

I attempted to research this topic on-line and even asked these questions on a motorcycle forum I frequent but as you can probably expect, I was over loaded with on-line sales propaganda and advised by the motorcycle forum members to do things like “just tuck it in your pants” or “leave it in your saddlebag”.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. havasu

havasu In the army now..

I've ridden thru several states on my 2000 Road King. I carry my Glock 23, .40 cal, in my high rise Tex Shoemaker leather holster. If it is hot, i just tuck it in my glove bags, which are behind my calf.

3. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I don't own a motorcycle, but if I did and wanted to cc while riding, I'd carry a Hipoint c9. Why? Because if I scratched it up or broke it, I wouldn't care. Hipoint would fix it.

4. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Back when I rode, just about everyone that had a bike carried. This was before concealed carry was allowed. Open carry was legal so most had belt holsters. Whenever we went someplace that did not allow firearms the guns went into my helmet bag on my full dresser. Now I carry an LC9 in a pocket holster or a belt slide holster with a shirt hung over it.

5. Fireman22

Fireman22 Active Member

Thanks for the suggestion havasu. Like many of the other custom leather work websites I've looked at, the Tex Shoemaker & Sons holsters look like they're a quality product. Wish I had surplus funds to purchase several of their items.

SavageGuy, I'm not sure if I should thank you or curse you. As I stated, I wasn't looking to purchase any new firearms right now, but your suggestion and the fact that one of my two favorite local gun shops is listed as a dealer for Hi-Point, makes me want to spend the short money and buy one. Guess I'll be heading to the store soon to talk about the possibility. However, I'll still need to purchase a holster, too.

richr, I've never considered cross-draw but I'll look into it (already watched a couple You Tube videos). Not sure that it will be the holster or preferred method for me as I think my paunch may cause discomfort. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Oldhand, the group of guys and gals I ride with were actually shocked when they found out I had a permit to carry (here in MA we don't usually start our conversations with firearm discussions, too many anti-gun proponents). However, since they found out, two of my friends have also gotten their permits. I actually went with one of them just last week when he bought his first handgun. He bought an M&P Bodyguard. I tried to convince him to buy Ruger but there weren't any in the case in his price range. After the purchase we stopped off at my house for a tear down and cleaning before we were off to the range. When we returned a couple hours later, our wives said we looked as happy as two teenage girls who just returned from clothes shopping. They were right, but I digress..

I too, have ridden with my .380 in a belt slide holster but I find it tends to catch on my jacket. Maybe I need a bigger jacket? And in the warmer weather, any lighter shirt I wear over it would often blow around exposing the gun to any and all curious onlookers. I'd rather not get that kind of attention. Thanks for sharing.

Spring and the riding season is still a long way off so I've got plenty of time to explore my options. Thanks again everyone.

6. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I mean normally buying a handgun means spending at least 300....but, the cost of a Hi-Point pistol is the same price as filling your truck up with gas in LA.........

7. BigDogJames

BigDogJames BigDogJames

When riding one of my choppers I carry (depending on the season) either my Ruger SR1911, or my S&W 40 Shield. Both with IWB Alien Gear original leather back holsters. I also carry extra magazines in a closed top ammo pouch. Comfort and with a snap/zippered up vest or jacket, never a problem keeping it concealed.