does anybody here collect?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by greg_r, May 22, 2016.

1. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I collect H&R Handi Rifles, H&R Pardner shotguns, and the H&R 929 "side kick" pistols.

What do you collect?

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a few H&R Revolvers,
    I also have a few 45-70 rifles..

I would/will have more H&R revolvers if I find nice ones.

Jim

3. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

A "few"? ...... That's toooo funny. :cheesy:

4. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Jim, I think you have an outdated dictionary. "Few" means around 3, not around 35!

5. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm old, and forgetful....remember?

I lose things,

Misplace things,

Forget where I am going,

Sometimes I laugh when it aint even funny.

But if I recollect , I do collect LA rifles, SA revolvers, Bolt action rifles,
    Military surplus , H&R revolvers, and turquoise trinkits.

If my friend Greg would stop collecting....it would leave some more for me.:D

;):)
    Jim

6. gumpy

gumpy New Member

I collect grandkids. I'm up to 14 and I'm only 63!

7. richr

richr Member

I had 2 H&R 22 Revolvers. One was my father's. the other my father-on law's. My dad's was never good from new, according to him. Nothing he or I could do: springs, different ammo, could ever get that gun to fire all 9 rounds the first time around. Sometimes it would take 2 or 3 strikes to get it to fire. The one I got from my father-in-law goes bang every time. It's the only one I still have. These guns are a lot of fun to plink with, but I have a Browning Buck Mark if I want to be accurate with a 22 pistol.

8. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm partial to Rugers,44 magnums and T/C Contenders but only COLLECT old coins.

9. gumpy

gumpy New Member

Ha! SH, I can't even collect new coins.

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I will concede that the Gun Collector does exist, even if antique and C&R guns are placed in separate categories not the present subject. Some people own Safe Queens that are held as Investments - Those guns are not my subject either. BUT - there are also people who own non-antique, non-C&R, non-investment grade guns - and do not give those guns the respect and relief due them by SHOOTING them at least once a year.

11. Floorist

Floorist Old Timer

I need to tell my kids to get busy. I only have 12 grandkids and one great granddaughter.

12. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

I collect exotic .45 ACP ammo...and Zippo Lighters with Gun Manufacturer Logos:

Here are just a few examples...

================

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

=================

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

=====================

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  13. threetango

threetango Special Dance Instructor

Lets just say I have moved from being a "gun collector" to a "gun acquirer".

14. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Amen 3T...Amen !!

15. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Very nicely phrased!

16. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

I guess I collect. I have been doing the gunshows for over 35 years. Every weekend when I was younger. Not so much now cause I can't drive. I pick up anything I can get cheap. I keep some and I dump some. That way, the guns pay for themselves most of the time. Maybe I am more of a gun trader than a collector, but I do both.

When I was forced to retire in 2005, I sold 80% of what I called a "collection," leaving me with onlyt thirty five pieces. Some I just could not sell due to sentimental value. Some of the others that I may never replace causethey were steel guns that are no longer made or new ones have to come out of some custom shop for an unreal amount of money. But the collection I sold did pay the bills for a couple of years till I got going again. It's just kinda hard buying guns on a fixed income and my trading has really slowed down with my bad eyesight.

Might just have to give it up anyway if I get too blind. Or if all the "everyone has to doa background check B.S. goes into effect at some time. Untill then, I will still be "collecting" or trading or whatever it is that I do.

17. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I don't really collect guns, more like I trade em around so I can play with different types when I get the itch to try something different.
    Like L/A rifles, my favorite kind, don't even own one right now. I'll fix that when something comes along I want to try out.
    My last L/A was a .357 mag, got a smoking deal on it, checked out my pet loads in it, admired it, shot it some more and sold it at a profit.

Guess you could say I collect Blackhawks, only have three at this time, more on the way I'm sure.
    It's been too long since I've played with a 4 5/8" barreled .357 Blackhawk......

Any of my hunting or SD guns aren't really collectibles, more like tools.
    Although at my age some of my "tools" have become collectors items, I move those out and get new and improved "tools" usually with money left over.

18. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Hmmm, for a while it was Ruger single actions but no specific models but I guess that was just "acquiring". Older HK pistols also were a focus. Later it may have been "collecting" when it came to the Bisley Blackhawks. The stainless Acusport ones started that. At some point there was a moment when I realized that wasn't for me anymore, the accumulating the firearms and I've been concentrating more on the Ruger brand memorabilia since. Stared off with the glass and porcelain items - the glasses, the mags and ashtrays. Little by little I had to branch into other areas - playing cards, pins, patches, 10 yr club items, etc. The Bisley's are still there but a lot of the other stuff is on it's way out.

Do have one H&R - a Handi Rifle in .357 max/20 gauge

19. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I started to sell my Handi Rifles earlier this year. A friend reminded me how upset I would be if I did. They quit making them in 2015, and I hadn't bought one since 2014. For some reason I started tripping over Handi Rifles this year.

I have expanded out some, gotten into the Classic series and the Survivor series. Even was able to pick up a N.E.F. R92, (thanks to our good friend Jim who threw a craving on me for the R92 / R73).

All this started because I shot a friends Thompson Center Contender. I used his in several different calibers for metallic silhouette shooting. Decided that I needed one in rifle form to hunt with. (I have a habit of calling his "mine") I could not afford one at the time but ran across a usedvHandi Rifle in 45/70. It was as close as I could get to a T/C. I bought it, loved it, had a 22 Hornet barrel fitted to it, bought one in 30/30, and the rest is history.