Do Your Part, Let Them Know Why

Discussion in 'Second Amendment and Legal' started by MagBlackhawk, Nov 30, 2016.

1. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

When you encounter a business that has a no gun sign posted what do you do?

Do you just walk away?
    Do you go to a different store that allows open or concealed carry?
    Do you 'cheat' and go in anyway and spend money with them hoping you won't get caught with a gun?

None of the above is wrong IMO but we could do better.

One of the banks I USED to bank at recently put up a 30.06 sign, the Texas no concealed carry sign.
    They did not have the 30.07 sign, the no open carry sign. I decided I shouldn't fight that battle.

At the door I saw the new 30.06 sign, got back in my truck and drove around to the drive thru widow.

At the window I told the clerk I needed to close out my account. She said I had to come inside for that.
    I informed her that I could not come in because I was turned away at the door.

No, the lobby is open, you can come in.

No I can't, you have a New no gun sign.

You can leave your gun in the truck and come on in.

No, I'd rather not do that.

I need to close out my account. We'll have to do that right here at the window.

I believe she understood and maybe even agreed with my position. (She doesn't make policy).
    I was polite the whole time and gave her a smile and thank you as I left with my money.

Let them know why you have stopped spending money with them but be nice while you're doing it.
    Remember, we are the good guys and it needs to show.... ;)

I hope there is a lot of talk in the bank about the nice guy that closed an account over his gun. :Cooltu:

2. conservative

conservative New Member

I work at Walmart and wish I could carry on the job. Especially when walking in their dim parking lot. Wish I could just say bye and work for a pro gun employer. Their active shooter policy is joke. If they would at least let their ap people carry, but no their afraid of a lawsuit.

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

^^^The fear of a law suit is the just of it all which I think is stupid for customers anyway. It shows me they couldn't give a rats tail about my safety. If some of these no gun places were to be sued if a customer got hurt then maybe the signs would come down.
    The last place I worked at had the 30.06 sign but it was in a back room that basically only employees used. No signs at any store entrance. IMO that was just to tell employees they could face jail time if they carried a gun while at work. Yes I had a few customers that did carry a gun but evidently the company wasn't concerned with them since no entrance was posted 30.06.
    I got to thinking the company really sucked when it came to my security especially when I was handling money at night. No they wanted me to know they would fire me and possibly bring charges against me for protecting myself.
    LMAO Surely if they had the 30.06 signs posted at the entrances then I would have been safer. It's all about the money not anyone's safety.

My bank has a sign stating no hats, hoodies or sunglasses allowed in lobby. If they put up a no gun sign my money will go elsewhere for sure.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Local restaurant I been eating at for many years, Put a sign on front door, "No Guns".
    I walked in , asked the manager , what's going on,
    he said owners wanted it.

I said , I will not be eating here anymore,

Next week , the sign was gone,
    I asked the manager what happened ...he said everybody complained and they took it down.:cool:

I suspect business dropped off drastically..:cool:

Jim

5. havasu

havasu In the army now..

I ignore the sign. I have a CCW license and they wouldn't know whether or not I am carrying.

6. phideaux

Me too...

I just would not support ,with my money, their dumbiss idea.

Just another victim zone.

Jim

7. conservative

conservative New Member

Well I am not going to ignore signage cause if I accidentally expose my firearm, then I'm in trouble because of the sign. I have some customers and police come in with guns and if they appear not to be gun nuts but responsible it makes me feel safer that they are there. People who ignore signage are not what I consider responsibly armed. They are just rebels who want to flout the rules. Those kind make me nervous.

8. havasu

havasu In the army now..

As a retired law enforcement officer for 25 years, you sure don't have to worry or be nervous about my actions. I'm not a rebel and I'm not there to flaunt anything, but if crap hits the fan because all of the sheeples inside were prohibited from carrying, you will hope to God I decided to carry both of my high cap magazines...

9. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

^ ^ What havasu said. (Except I'm not a retired LEO, just a responsible, straight thinking "gun nut").

Responsibly armed is when you carry a gun in a responsible manner. A 'No Gun Sign' can not change that.
    Irresponsible is the business that will not protect you but would try to stop you from protecting yourself.

When SHTF, just drop to the floor and hope someone like havasu is around.....
    Don't think he's afraid of some stupid sign.

:GadsdenFlag:

10. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

I am only an armchair lawyer, I know.

But, my thinking is that a cardboard sign is not even "enforceable" is it?

At the most they can refuse service right?

If you are lawfully carrying, then a store owner cannot make you disarm, but they can refuse service if they want, I would think.

Is there anyone that knows absolutely the legal result of a posted sign in a non private property situation?

So, I figure go on in, if they make the gun, fine, if not just go about your business.

The exception would be as what happened with Magnum. A bank with an armed security guard (possibly) is a place I would not take a chance on the guard acting appropriately, I would just, like in his case, do business elsewhere and let them know why.

Good post, Magnum

Doc

11. hodge

hodge New Member

Generally, I think you are right. Different states, different laws. But, it's my understanding that not every sign carries the force of law. A simple "no gun" sign means, as I interpret it, that they can ask you to leave, but you haven't broken a law. Signs like what are posted at the post office, though, do carry the force of law. I don't ignore those.
    Generally, though, I don't grace the doors of businesses with "no guns" signs. It isn't fear of reprisal, it is out of principle.

12. phideaux

Sorry guys,

I been in the hospital every day this week , all day long, sitting with my mom after surgery,

There are signs everywhere that say "NO guns allowed and you MAY be prosecuted to the full extent of the law".

My sheriff told me that "Posted" no hunting signs on my farm are useless , mean nothing as far as prosecuting someone...huh? Possibly a deterrent only.

I considered the hospital a VERY big victim zone....so I was VERY irresponsible all week. I will be again today.

I ask my wife .....what law are they going to punish me with? I have my CCW and KY is an open carry state. huh?

btw, mom is not doing so good.

Jim

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  13. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Sorry to hear this Jim.

14. conservative

conservative New Member

Phideaux's post is what is the type of thing I am referencing . If it it says the establishment may prosecute then I'll just trust God to protect me and thereby avoid being jailed/fined. I am not afraid of people armed or otherwise . Just suspicious of people who are "nuts". There are more ways than a gun to kill/injure someone . And if something goes down, I am not cowering in the corner regardless if I am armed or not. I am not afraid of being shot. I have always said, if your going to kill me then don't do just half a job or leave me disabled. Understandably, Fear is a lot of the reason people have guns on both sides good and bad. The difference is one is legal. But fear has gotten people killed. I would prefer to take a chance and save my life or someone else in a situation were I am not armed.

15. gumpy

gumpy New Member

+1!! She is still on my prayer list and at church also.

16. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I'll be keeping her in my prayers, Jim.

17. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Mom IS in my prayers Jim !!

18. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

As far as the signs...don't even see them here in Pennsylvania....no where !!

If I did...I would ignore it.

Open Carry IS my right in PA...Concealed Carry IS my paid privilege in PA

Best they could do is ask me to leave...which I would do...never to return.

19. allenr

allenr Member

The PA gun laws do not deal with no gun signage. They do restrict carrying in schools, courts, prisons, state offices, and gambling establishments.

From my research the only law that applies to no gun signage on a privately owned facility is the trespass. It is difficult to get precise information about how the trespass laws apply. Lawyers seem to disagree about the force of trespass law when a no gun sign is posted.

I am told that if a sign indicates no guns and states violation is trespass, then it is likely you can be arrested for trespassing.

If the no gun sign only states that, it might or might not be considered trespass depend on the LEO on sight responding to a complaint or the district attorney.

Whether there is or is not a no gun sign, if you are carrying and asked to leave because of that it amounts to trespassing unless you leave on the order.

If you enter a no gun location through an entrance that is not posted or is posted in a manner that makes it difficult to notice then you are ok unless you refuse to leave on order.

I mostly carry IWB. I have not come across any businesses on my area that have visible no gun signs. So I enter without concern. I do know that some of those places have a no gun policy and if they see a gun on a person they ask them to leave. That has happened to me several times. I registered a complaint with management in those cases. I do not patronize them again.

20. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I don't see any signs around here except for Banks,the Hospital,Courthouse etc. I usually go ahead and carry in the Hospital anyway and occasionally the Credit Union which I haven't noticed a sign there but thee probably is somewhere. If I ever did see 1 in a store or restaurant I would go somewhere else.