Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I shop at Pawn Shops more than I shop at LGS.
I keep my eye out for a unique , low mfg numbers , oddball guns.

I stopped in a local pawn shop on Tues, they always have a bunch of guns.

I spotted a little H&R revolver 32 S&WL, that I knew of, but not a lot about it. Its same as brand new, beautiful , asking $299.

The guy there knows me really well, so he brings this knife over , says "bet you never seen one of these", I said oh yes I have , that's a Buck 110U, yep, but has a special feature , the little push button on the side , opens like a flash. holy crap, never seen a Buck 110U like that, fastest switchblade operation I ever seen, Asking $80.

Then he says let me show you (he knows how I think) this little 22 lr semi auto that's same as NIB. Its an Ithaca X-15 Lightning. I have to admit , I never seen or hard of it. It sure is gorgeous, and it is LNIB, not a scratch or mark on it, with a nice Simmons 3x9x40 scope (LNIB also), and a beautiful mil type leather sling. Asking $189.

Did my homework that night, went back and haggled for an hour.

Brought all 3 home...

The H&R is VERY,VERY rare with 4" barrel, almost unheard of, mfg in 1978. $188 + tx. Gotta get some ammo.

The Ithaca rifle even more rare, Mfg in 1964-1967 only, $113 + tx.

The Buck knife was a special conversion done to very few , $35 + tx.

heres a couple pics.

I may be going to work for him, for a few hrs a week, 12 hrs a week. The fringe bennies may be worth it.

I might do it just for the fun of it..

Jim

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Usually guns I have seen at pawn shops were pretty well beat and put up that way. Then they want top dollar for them. Your guns look in really good condition.
If I knew as much about guns as you do I would jump on the part time job. Only problem is you might buy way more guns than you already do.

·
Registered
992 Posts
That might be the only job you get where your paycheck ends up in the negative every month!:D
Seriously though, I shop for ammo at pawn shops sometimes. Guys sell the stuff they have left over after they pawn the gun. I got a bunch of .22 mag that way in 2013 when there wasn't any on the shelf anywhere else.

·
Banned
558 Posts
I stop by pawnshops and out of the way gun stores when I have time. Hard to find something special. Insiders get most of the good stuff. Oops, prolly shouldn't have said that. :D

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I become his employee, that means Ill be an insider...that means I will get the good stuff.:D:D

He owns 7 Pawn Shops in west Ky., its a big operation, and they rotate the guns from store to store on a regular basis...:cool:

Jim

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Usually guns I have seen at pawn shops were pretty well beat and put up that way. Then they want top dollar for them. Y
I can tell you for a fact, the Pawn Shop WILL make double to 1/3 on everything they sell, but 25% on guns if they need to move them.

You seen what I haggled down to, from their asking price.
They will come way down if you ask.

I been buying guns from tis guy for 15 years. He treats me right. NOW.

Jim

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
I have only been in a couple of Pawn shops here in Mesa and the things they sell, I would sell for scrap metal. Plus their pricing is sky high. I would rather go to Bass Pro (which I won't) as the prices are about the same, but at least at Bass Pro you could buy something new and not a boat anchor.

Tommy

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got one pawn shop around here that's like that,
They sell garbage....more like a yard sale/flea market,

Needless to say , I don't visit that one.

But I have bought many guns at Pawn Shops, good ones , and never ,ever, pay what they ask.

They got LOTS of wiggle room.

Just don't act too excited about it, when you see an item you like, ;)

I do love me some serious hagglin/negotiatin..:D

Jim

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ya the only pawn shops I've been into that have guns are pretty run down stores n the guns aren't anything special. If I found a nice place I would though. I'd rather do business with local stores or privately. Or gun shows.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts