Do you have an LCR

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by buster40c, Aug 1, 2019.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I was wondering who here have an LCR 38+P, LCR 357, or LCR 9?
    Do you use it as your carry gun?
    On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 the best how do you rate the gun for your intended use?
    Have you changed the front sight and if you did what did you replace it with and do you like it more or less than the stock sight?
    What ammo do you carry in it when you do/if carry it and what ammo do you usually use for paper punching practice?
    I had replaced my front sight with the small XS white night dot. I didn't like it even a little bit. I reinstalled the original sight.
    I carried mine loaded with 38spl. +P and I usually only use 38 spl for practice.
    I haven't carried it since I started carrying a Charter Arms Bulldog 44 spl.
    I rate the LCR at a 9 for concealed carry. Shooting 357 magnum ammo it is a bit stout but is definitely doable. Shoot a 357 magnum box of 50 for practice, most likely not. I like the 357 model more than the 38+P basically because it is a bit heavier built which helps in felt recoil for me.

Pancho_Villa, rugertoter and quirky like this.
  2. rdec873

rdec873 New Member

I have one I rarely carry it though on my person but usually throw it in my glove compartment when I am going somewhere. I’m a lefty so getting to my gun in a hurry is tough in a car. Its a great backup gun. Hard to find a good holster for it. I have the 357 and I changed the front sight to a big dot. It honestly shoots really well although I only put 38sp or +p through it. I have a S&W 642 as well and the fit and finish is way better but the ruger has a slightly better trigger. A couple down side is the transfer bar rattles. I wouldn’t get rid of it because it is a solid gun that you can really beat the shit out of. I want to get a G10 grip for it. I carry a Glock 43 mainly but like I said I wouldn’t get rid of it.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019

3. quirky

quirky Active Member

I had both the .38 and the .357 if I do it again I'm getting the 9mm. They were both my primary carry even when I carried two guns. Shotgun (front pocket)
    G30 inside. Yeah you read right, I simply don't trust auto-loaders.

But I am rocking with the EC9s now shotgun. I got one in the tube and hope it goes off again if need be.

Believe it or not I found the .38 brutal to shoot and sold it because of that. About 2 years after that I buy the .357 version and on opening day with it shoot 300 rounds of nothing but magnums out of it (not full house loads) go figure right. However the .357 and the 9mm use different materials than the .38 special does, but all except the .22 versions have a great trigger.

4. buster40c

When I first picked up the 38+P I thought this thing is a feather light. I figured it had to be a handful even with 38spl. let alone +P. The gun was pink so I passed on it.

When I handled the 357 at another store I thought this was the one to get. It was about $200 more but I am still glad I went with it rather than the +P.

I had heard the LCR 22lr trigger wasn't as good. My LGS let me pull the trigger on one and I didn't think the trigger action was that big of a difference. To each their own though.

I am considering having a drawing to give away the XS sight kit. It will only work for the 9, +P or the 357 models.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  5. Magnum.357

Magnum.357 Active Member

I don't have an LCR, but here is what my opinion is.
    I think revolvers are great and rate them high. Their triggers aren't so great especially for rapid fire. Two three shots in two seconds is what I would like from the LCRs or any revolver.
    Ammo, Shoot 38 special for target practice. The cheapest ammo from Walmart will do. Even the aluminum and steel casings are okay for revolvers. Stay away from TULAMMO. That ammo gets stuck in the cylinder. Unless you shoot two or three at a time then extract them and reload. I always buy Winchester or Remington. Federal is a little pricey but very good ammo. American Eagle.
    For self defense, Federal in +P and Remington Gold dot +P all in Hollow point
    .357 ammo, any ammo on .357 with the 110 gr. or 125 gr. That round is potent enough.
    sites, I have the green fiber optic on my GP-100. I don't care for it but it is better than the site it came with.
    Try the Tritium sites they are great. They use gaseous tritium which is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen to create visible light. Tritium emits electrons through beta decay and when they interact with a phosphor material it lights up. Great for either night or day. This is something I want for my GP-100.

6. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

LCRX 38 Spl +P. Both the 1.87" and the 3". 125 grain Hornady XTP’s loaded to +P levels. XS standard dot.

Mine were purchased for a purpose. Ease of carry. The snubby for an EDC, the 3 incher for a trail gun. They serve their individual purpose well.

I have absolutely zero interest in one of these chambered for 357 magnum. I would consider one in 9mm, simply because the 308, 223, and 9mm are my primary cartridges and the 9mm LCR would just fit in. However, I prefer my revolver cartridges to have rims and the extra weight defeats my primary purpose for the LCRX which, as stated above, is ease of carry.

7. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

I have the LCR in .38, and the LCR in .357 Magnum. I carry them in either a Galco Kydex Paddle Holster, or a leather Tigua I have that is specific to the type.

I have the XS sight on the .357, but just used some red fingernail polish on the front sight blade of the .38 Special.

I use a Remington 125 grain Jacketed Soft Point, in .38 Special +P, for carry in both of them. I have carried some Hornady .357's in the .357 LCR...they have the "flex-tip" in the nose of the bullet, but mainly stick to the .38 + P's. If I can't get it done with that, then I'm in over my head. JMHO.

How do you like the Charter in .44?

8. buster40c

Since I got the Charter 44 I have basically carried it over any other.
    I have not had even a hiccup with it. It is built tight and for the price I think I got a good inexpensive revolver. It fits into holsters that the LC9s fits into. It fits decently but not as deep charter44spl 009.JPG into my Talon holster made for my LCR 357.
    I was watching a Charter Pitbull 45 acp on GB but it went for more than I wanted to pay. High bid was $375 but that would have totalled about $420 so I passed on it. I figured I didn't want to pay that much for the 45 since I have the 44.

rugertoter likes this.
  9. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I would like the CA Bulldog in 45 Colt.

Actually I would like it in the GP100, but don’t think the frame/cylinder can handle the 45 Colt size wise. It’s plenty stout.

10. rdec873

rdec873 New Member

Do you reload 44sp? I have been considering picking one of those up.

11. buster40c

I do reload my 44 spl. If someone already has a press then it will not cost much to be reloading 44 spl. A lot cheaper than buying ammo off store shelves.
    I was out shooting 100 rounds with it last evening. No discomfort shooting those 100 rounds. As long as I follow through holding front site on target the gun shoots POA. I did file down my front site because I kept shooting low. I like this gun.

12. rdec873

rdec873 New Member

I reload 44mag but don't have any 44sp brass. I have both a 7.5" Super Redhawk and a 4" 629 both in 44 magnum but have bene thinking about reloading 44special. I can't seem to find a 44mag load that has the 44 special feel to it. I almost bought a 45 colt because I know you can load those light, but then decided I didnt need another caliber.

13. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

I only have the .357 JCR, mostly cause I got it off an old man back in 2013 at a gunshow. It Was LNIB. Said hd had fired it two shots with magnums and didn't want it no more. So, he took 3 and a quarter for it. I had not been able to find a new one, just the .38 spls. for about 369+ back then at the shows. Thinking that it could not really be that bad, I tried some 158 gr Winchester JSPs outta it. Well, I made it through the first 5, but was reluctant to shoot any more of those or any of my handloads that I use in the gun pictured with it. A late 70s vinage Speed Six, the fixed sight version of the Security Six. And being medium frame guns like the S&W K frames, recoil could be pretty stout with my handloads. Anyway, it was a bit more controllable with Remingtion 125 gr. .357s. So, that is what I carry in it if I carry it. Use it in the winter or cooler monrhs in a coat pocket. Sometimes around the old rancho in an upside down, leaher, Bianchi shoulder rig meant for a J frame S&W. A spring loaded clamp type that the gun has to be pulled free from. Don't ask me the model # cause I don't know. It came with a used J frame I bought. Yeah, I don't buy holsters. They come free with guns. Keep the ones I like and sell the ones I don't.

The LCR is usually with me when I am on the riding mower cause it doesn't fall out of the holster or my pants like some have. The Speed Six was ususally with me when we worked on fenches and were walking. It goes out in a Bianchi high ride, thumb break leather holster behind the right hip. That one usually has my home made hard cast handloads or the Winchester 158s in it. It is a 2.75'' barrel and has Hogue grips on it. Recently got some Hornady 158 gr. Critical Defense ammo, but have not tried it in eithr gun yet.

The LCR is box stock. Don't plan to make any changes to it. Sight is plain black tamp and which I like. DA is one of the best I have used.

100_0096 (4).JPG
    These 3 see more use than the others.

100_0085 (2).JPG

Top to bottom

Taurus Tracker, .44 mag, 2.5'' barrel. This gun has taken the place of the Speed Six as a field gun. A 5 shooterm, it fits in the same holster and is much easy to control with .44 spl. loads.

Taurus 85 UL, 2'' barrel, 38 spl. house gun for wife, 125 gr. Rem. JSPs +P

Rossi mod 88, 150 gr. hard cast wadcutter @ 900 FPS. Yard pest gun. Still needs rubber grips. My stash it anywhere kinda gun.

14. Magnum.357

Magnum.357 Active Member

Nice collection Pancho. I love revolvers in double action.
    I once had a Rossi 4" .38 spl. I carried in the field for self defense. It was a police special version or something like that. It was passed on from my grandfather. It was straight out of Argentina. I didn't like it because it kept breaking the firing pin and was not reliable. My grandfather took it back and sold it to someone.

Pancho_Villa likes this.
  15. buster40c

I also have a Rossi 88 and a 68. I have had no problems with either and both are actually quite accurate for being snubs. They both are actually clones of a S&W model 60 and a 36. I paid under $200 for each and I doubt there is a better revolver made for that money. The trigger actions on both are actually impressive.
    LOL Yeah the LCR with 357 magnum rounds is a handful but is doable. I wouldn't care to shoot even 10 rounds of those. For kicks I would have someone shoot the LCR after I loaded it staggered with 357 magnum and 38 spl. They got as much a kick, sorry for the pun, out of it as I did just watching them.

Pancho_Villa likes this.
  16. Magnum.357

Magnum.357 Active Member

Rossi gun company was sold to S&W, not sure when that time was. The Rossi company has had their struggles and eventually changed their name. Not sure but I've heard they are now Taurus.
    The gun my grandfather had was an early model. Either late 60's or very early 70's.
    It was a comfortable and soft shooter. I carried it for about a year, until I decided to shoot a few rounds through it. Glad I never encounter any trouble. The gun just clicked on all cylinders. We later found out the firing pin was broken. After it was replaced, it broke again after a few rounds through it.

Pancho_Villa likes this.
  17. Pancho_Villa

it was Taurus that took over Rossi. The guns were marked ''Braztech.''

Busterm,

This model 88 is a replacement for one I had in the 90s. Had to sell it with a bunch of others when I was forced into an unexpected early retirement in 2005. I used it instead of my model 60 S&W. Couldn't sell that one.

Here is my old 60 at the bottom left with some of it's big brothers.

100_0103.JPG

Topp to bottom.

629-3, .44 mag, 4''
    686-4, .357 mag, 6'' barrel with 'power Port''
    66-4, .357 mag, 4''
    60 no dash, .38 spl, 2''
    10-5, .38 spl, 4''

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  18. buster40c

Rossi and S&W were for a time under the same parent company which is why the 68 and 88 were Rossi clones of the S&W 36 and 60.
    Taurus owns Rossi but Rossi still makes some guns with the Rossi name.
    Knock on wood I have not had a firing pin break off.

Pancho_Villa likes this.
  19. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

I like the grips on my Charter .357 Mag Pug.

20. Pancho_Villa

HOW about a few more? Some Colts. 100_0078 (2).JPG
    Top to bottom

.Colt Troopr MK iii, .22 LR, 4'' barrel, retirement gift to my dad for 26 years of service as a Chuef LEO. Gun is engraved with his name and years of service. 1954-8q.

Colt Trooper Mk III, .357 mag that I gave him to go with the .22.

Colt Cobra Lughtweight .38 spl, gien to dad by a retired jailer friend of his. 1st issue Cobra alloy frame, vintage 1953