Do you have a code word?

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Tommycourt, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

My wife and I have talked extensively about S/D and what would happen should someone come from behind and grab her and I wasn't by her side. Perhaps at a grocery store and I am pushing the cart back and she is standing by the car. Now, she has her .38 Smith Airweight and can't reach inside her purse to get it. She is only 5'3" and a lightweight. If I had my .45 out and aimed, what do you say to the BG in order for your wife to understand what you want her to do? Our "code words" are: Please, do NOT hurt my wife or family. That is her way of knowing that I want her to just fold and drop to the ground. She weighs (don't say I said this) about 130lbs. Now even a big BG will have trouble holding her if she folds and he is not expecting that. 130lbs. of dead weight is a lot of weight if he has 1 arm around her neck or head and trying to hold her. Hopefully that will give me time to get my shot or shots off. Understand this is hypothetical, however do any of you have an sign or signal you give your other half should a situation arise or have you even talked about it. We live in a sanctuary city and Ole Lame Brain Obama is now talking about bringing 250K refugees into the states and I am sure that we will get some here. You can't prepare for all scenarios however we try to prepare as much as possible. I am too old to try to manhandle some young punk or bad guy and I never travel without my .45. Would you mind sharing your thoughts?

Tommy

2. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

I think this is well thought out and could save her life and yours too. I really like the plan. Hope you guys never need but if you do you'll be more than glad you set it up in advance.

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

You might yell Allah Akbar. They might think she is Islamic and let her go. Then you fill him full of holes.
    I have a friend that likes having me go places with her. I am sure it is because she knows I am always packing. I really need discuss with her what to do in a bad case scenario.
    When we were having all the racial stuff going on here her mom said he has a gun doesn't he. She said yes he does all the time. Her mom felt more at ease then. I hope I never have the need to use it. Punching paper hardly prepares us for a bad situation.
    If we get swamped with Muslim refugees then I bet gun sales will make Obama's cause of increased gun sales look little in comparison. Other countries have already had horrible problems stemming from the refugees. Our one advantage will be in these people knowing many citizens here are armed and like they say don't take a knife to a gun fight.
    We all should be training more for what to do like Tommy does. Even one little thing might save a life.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  4. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Now that's funny!!!! I'd be in trouble. I'd never remember those words
    Seriously though. You've brought up the fact that you are better prepared than us. We should have a code word(s) and we just haven't made it a priority. Shame on us!! It's at the top of our list now. :)

5. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Well, the wife and I are into our 50th year together.

We both have been packin for over 30 yrs, and we are your proverbial preppers.

We seem to know each others thoughts , most of the time.
    Yes we have discussed what to do , how to handle many situations.

Our code word to each other, ONLY in a serious emergency, is simply the word "down", that's it, that means theres a threat,

Get to the floor, behind cover if possible.

Hope to God , I never have to say , or hear it.

But everybody, should have some plan...

Thanks Tommy for bringing this up.

Most people we know, think we are nuts ya know.

Jim

6. havasu

havasu In the army now..

I also have spoken to my wife about this. I have instructed her to listen to my words carefully and if she hears the word "down", she needs to get down immediately because lead will be flying right after this.

7. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

May I also suggest that the 'downer' drop straight down in his/her tracks if 'the joint hasn't been cased'? Looking to see where you are going to fall provides a visual clue to an attacker.

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

"GO TIME" is our action word(s)....

She knows a head shot will follow if she's being held hostage...

She knows an intruder is downstairs if it's the middle of the night...get "your" night stand gun / cell phone...

She knows to retrieve 1st floor gun if a breach of front / back door(s) is imminent...and we are downstairs.

It's something we have practiced...the Sergeant Major and I...

Training makes it a reflex...practice makes it fluid.

9. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

We have three code words, none are words we would use in our normal conversations but would not sound out of place to others.
    If one of us uses a code word................

10. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

Whole family practices, like a fire drill. Different scenarios, night/day, about twice a month. Everyone old enough to shoot, practices at least once a week- live fire/dry fire/draw-clear-engage drills......should be more, but I'm lucky they put up with it now....No code words/no noise.

11. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

We have a word which is her most hated vegetable. It could be on a phone call or her or me just walking or sitting, maybe in the form of a sentence, question on the phone etc. Just like an attack dog.

12. havasu

havasu In the army now..

I'd love to find out the name of the vegetable!

(please PM me with it!)

13. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

That's the way our code words work.
    No one will know we just used a code word.

Sorry havasu, not tellin. ;)

14. RavenU

RavenU In the army now..

Who do you think you're fooling? It's either broccoli, turnips, beets, or brussels sprouts! :D

My wife and I do, indeed, have a code word. If I say it, she knows exactly what to do!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  15. Ernesto

Yeah that word is the most forbidden word and certainly never bought or brought into the house.
    In a sentence if theres time, do we need ______?
    Phone call - Where are you, whats up - I'm out buying groceries do we need___________? (track phone immediately)
    Or just - ________________!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  16. havasu

havasu In the army now..

I now know what veggie Ernie is talking about. Maybe I'll have to send some for Xmas.

17. Ernesto

Ha ha, she may send you something back you'll not like Hav.

phideaux has no sense of humor. He should get a job banning books or something. Prolly had one when Ronnie was in office. :p

18. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Oh I have a sense of humor. :)

I also take my job as Moderator serious .

Jim

19. Ernesto

................. :D

Attached Files:

20. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Guys,

I wasn't trying to have a veggie throwing contest here. I just wanted to know if anyone did something similar to what my wife and I do. There are many other things we need to work out but not at Wal_Mart in front of the vegetable stand. And Raven if you really want to know his word: the magical word they don't use it's "okra and grits". Hate to upset you southern boys but I can't handle either one of those. I'll take teriyaki beef or pork anytime. You white boys and girls have strange tastes. In Hawaii you would be starving to death!!!!:p

Tommy