Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Sure, why not? I really like my SP101, but that cowboy gun deserves to be open carried. I would feel much safer if everybody OC'd.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Many years ago, I carried a Colt SSA .45 Colt with a 4.75" barrel concealed in my waist band. As a fat boy, I can conceal almost anything and no one ever new I was "packin". At that time, I shot that gun a lot and figured that if six 250 grain lead slugs at 950 fps didn't get the job done nothing else would either. My currant single action is a New Model Blackhawk 45 Colt/45 acp Convertible, and while it would not be my first choice for concealed carry, I still wouldn't feel "under gunned" with it either.

·
Banned
558 Posts
I just got a shoulder holster for my New Ruger Blackhawk .357. Works great, hangs under my armpit.
I'm getting one of these for the wife. [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8r6CY5UZyw[/ame]

·
Banned
475 Posts
Hey E............................how bout those Packers................................the rest of the league is looking so bad, that they may have a chance to go all the way.........................................;)

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
It would be a real trick to conceal my 6.5" barrel Blackhawks. A shoulder holster might work but requires a coat for cover.

No, if I carry a S/A it's gonna have to be open carry. In January we get the new open carry law in Texas.
I may (?) open carry a S/A in the more rural areas but never in a crowd.

Problem is, to be effective I would think it should be cocked coming out.
I can and have done it but NEVER loaded. My foot doesn't need any holes in it so............. :duck:
What is the safest way to draw a S/A fast? I figure keep the trigger finger straight while drawing but I'm just guessing.

Don't know if I would ever be brave enough to try it loaded. (Or with the gun loaded either, LOL).
Any ideas on a way to draw safely and fast using magnum ammo?

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I found my shoulder holster very hard to position that the butt didn't stick out to the point anyone would figure I was carrying a gun.
Magum I guess watching cowboy quick draw matches would be a good place to learn to draw a loaded 6 shooter safely. There are few new members here that have been in those competitions that could chime in here. Hint hint.

·
Banned
558 Posts
I guess a Dirty Harry type holster thats tilted down would help fast draw. But still ya gotta reach across your torso. Cant see it here but ya know.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0lvp7a7pmk[/ame]

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Whats taking so long over there? Geez you'd think Texas is a backwards conservative state. A state with such a history of gunslinging cowboys and such.
Well back when Ann Richards (D) was the Governor she kept vetoing any and all pro gun or carry bills.
I still remember her saying "we don't need every fender bender turning into a shoot out".

Then we got Bush, he signed concealed carry into law. We were happy just to get that much.

Next was Perry, he wanted no part of open carry. He said "I'm more of a concealed carry type of guy".
When pressed, all he would say about open carry was "we're looking into that". LOL

Then Greg Abbot ran for Governor saying if an open carry bill got to his desk he would sign it, he did after we elected him.

People outside of Texas seem to think we've always been gun totters. Not the case.
I think they outlawed carrying guns way, way back when......... well, I don't know.

Maybe a Texas history buff can tell us.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Best thing to do is watch a few videos, buy the right gear for you and practice, practice, practice.

I started off with an A4 speed rig from Alphonso's, front cut, steel lined, rear cant. I practiced dry for weeks to work on muscle memory, then started shooting primed cases only with an old white sheet 6 feet in front of me. Squared hips, slight upper body turn towards the holster.........

You know, watch Chris Gordan's videos on you tube- it's close to the way I draw-but I've enhanced a few things for me, specifically.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Wear long johns and thick jeans, heavyweight boots....at least for a week or so. Trust me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Once. So far. Just to prove to me I could. Vaquero 45 5 1/2" Mexican carry with the loading gate open to keep it from running down my leg.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts