Do SR1911,s have different sights?

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Tommycourt, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I have 3 of the Ruger SR1911's and it seems to me that the sights are a bit different in height. I have tried to measure with a micrometer however it's hard to get an accurate reading. I was hoping some one on the forum would know so I can get an idea of the difference in sizes and then get ahold of Ruger in Prescott. I am referring to the front sight heights and wonder if they vary, then how much.

Tommy

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  2. Yeagerdad82

Yeagerdad82 ..buyer of arms..

I do not have your answer. I only have 1 SR1911, all stainless, commander. It is my fav Ruger, and my fav 1911. Hope you get your answer.

3. RA17

RA17 New Member

Post pictures? Also, how do you like it? I currently only own Glocks but given my recent and very satisfactory introduction to Ruger I am tempted at exploring my options for a Ruger sidearm.

4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I have to say that I enjoy the SR1911 platform much more than my experience with Glocks. Of course my training goes back over 50 years however, especially with the LW, I am very much pleased. Whether it be a semi auto, rifle or revolver, Ruger stands out with a very good product.

Tommy

5. Yeagerdad82

6. Yeagerdad82

7. RA17

RA17 New Member

Understandable, all of my training involves Sig and Glock. But Ruger has caught my attention.

8. Yeagerdad82

The Ruger SR1911 is obvious, all stainless, the left lane are all ATI, the rt top 2 are Citadels, exact same, cept top is .45acp, below it is 9mm, then a Chiappa 22lr. The Ruger is by far the nicest, best shooting, balanced, and the prettiest!

9. RA17

RA17 New Member

So much beauty! How do you like the ATI? I recently handled a Rock Island? I believe that was the brand, it felt much like a colt I sold...

10. Yeagerdad82

Sr1911

Heres a closeup

11. Yeagerdad82

12. Yeagerdad82

ATI's. Love em, not Rugers, but less expensive. The mil spec has Ruger SR trigger, and those great Recover grips, the officers is still stout enough to have very little recoil. I really like the ATI's. Really feel good, shoot well, seem well built.

13. HootsG19

HootsG19 New Member

Tommycourt I am having a problem with the site height on my SR1911-CMD. I have it adjusted for windage but have to aim 2 full spaces above the bullseye for an accurate hit. This also from a bench rest. Had someone else shoot it with the same result.

14. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Mine was shooting low and had to raise the sight picture. If you are shooting low you will have to raise the front sight or lower the rear sight and vice versa if you are shooting high.I think I got that right. Now this is on my LW Commander. My full size SR1911 I didn't have to adjust the sights. My windage is off as I have a tendency to shoot to the left at 9:00. I might suggest this: try shooting at 10 feet and see where the round hits, then go to 20 feet and then 30. Not knowing how far you are shooting it's hard to tell what the problem is. Before I ground my sight, I ordered a new one from Browning for about $5.95 as I have been known to screw up and they are from Ruger and I still have it. Ruger states that you should get a 2 1/2" group @ 25 yards. Different rounds can definitely make a difference. Not all rounds are standard. I can strongly relate to that as when I reload, different powders and bullets can have quite a bit of difference. Another thing you might have to consider is your grip. Ensure you have a proper grip. Grip size can also make a difference. Not all of us grip the same. Make sure your sights are highly visible. When shooting I ONLY use my front sight. Where ever the front sight is aimed at, that's where it will hit. It sounds silly but it's the truth. When breaking in a new gun, take time, use GOOD ammo and work up your distance. Fire 3 rounds @10 feet and mark your target, then advance farther back. From what is sounds like you are after POA and not a 6:00 hold. Be diligent in your assessments. I hope I have not confused you, however there is quite a bit of research and time it takes to make proper adjustments and corrections. Good luck and let me know how you turn out please.

Tommy

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016