Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Im sorry RC,
But Im not sure what your referring to ,

bore or muzzle guide.:confused:

Unless your talking about a bore guide for for aligning the bore cleaning tools. or muzzle guide for inserting the boresighter.

Can you give me some more description?

Jim

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Ok , got ya,

Sorry , I never used a guide for my 22s.

Cant give you any help there.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I use a brass cleaning rod nowadays, aluminum before that. One old .22 rifle had too much use of a steel rod, but that was before my time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
+1 for bore snake. Most damage to 22 bores is caused by excessive cleaning and careless use of metal bore cleaning equipment.
IME, most people way over clean 22RF bores and ruin accuracy.YMMV

·
Registered
4 Posts
they're not a bad idea to use but with the small bore and chamber, not so easy. Especially when you might be doing anywhere from 10 to 100 passes, depending! Even on my Stag AR with CMMG conversion, to me the bore has an even worse enemy and that's leading.
For just a fast cleaning, bore snake. This will get out powder crud or enough to keep shooting til its time for real cleaning. I always use some de-leader chemical at some point. Even if it doesnt get it all perhaps it will prevent some of the buildup? Leadaway cloths will find things that would keep you pushing the cleaning rod endlessly if you let it bother you. A brass rod, soaking for no longer then an hour in the so called "lead removers" (I've heard nightmares of people who left such in their bores overnight and came back to a rusted ruined bore so, an hour tops for me!) Then there's always the otis system, probably not much chance for crown damage with that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts