DIY Blowgun

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by buster40c, Aug 5, 2015.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I like that,,

I actually might try that,

:cool:

Jim

3. buster40c

I went out to my shed looking for an electrical box and dang if there wasn't a 18" piece of 1/2' PVC and the 1/2 to 3/4 adapter sitting right in front of me. I just had to take them into the house and put it together. I need make some darts for it now.
    I know I have an old saw blade out there also. I might cut myself throwing them though.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hey, make some with nails, and let me know how it works,

If I can get some time I want to try that.

Jim

5. buster40c

I made 6 darts using stickies and panel nails. They hit with more force than I thought they would. I was shooting into a pillow covered with a towel and the darts were sticking in the pillow for sure. They hit with a definite thud. I wouldn't want to be hit by one. I set up an air freshener and from about 11 feet I hit it. I am going to add the laser and the dart holder. Need look in the shed for some pvc insulator tube.
    I found out if I had the diameter to large then my cheeks sure took some recoil puff since the dart didn't go anywhere. Also be careful and take a deep breath before you put your mouth to the pipe. LOL I was careful not to do that.

Attached Files:

6. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

I couldn't get a pic of my blowgun......6' is too long for the camera...aluminum, covered with a camo sheath, and has rubber on the top half about 2'. This is one of my darts.........3 1/4 ".............I've made and shot them up to 6". They hit so hard that you can only use them a couple of times, and they are not straight any more. My blowgun has a natural curve, and you shoot it curve down..............it's damn accurate.

Attached Files:

7. buster40c

Stand the bg against the wall and take the picture. What do you make the darts from?

8. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

I bought a blowgun that used those exact darts 50 years ago at Jensens Gun Shop in Tucson. I was 10 years old and they wouldnt let me buy a gun. The guy said...son this is the only thing you can buy here. :)

9. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

I wouldn't do this for just anybody;)......I took a couple pics in sections........so you can get an idea.............not the greatest camera, not the greatest light, but you'll get the idea. The darts are made out of spring steel, tips sharpened on a grinder, super sharp.............you can actually get them so sharp that you cannot touch the tip without bleeding. The beads are plastic, and come on a waxed string, which is pretty much dead center through the beads. You just pull a bead off of the string, heat the end of your spring steel, and slide it right into the center of the bead. You end up with a very well balanced dart, especially if your spring steel is straight. A friend of mine shot a pesky rabbit from about 25 yds........when the dart hit, the rabbit flew about 5' in the air, came back down, took a couple of steps, and was done. Personally, I prefer to use mine in a more social work situation, but they are fun to play with. If you want more speed, you can use a cone end instead of a bead...................lighter, faster, but doesn't hit as hard as a bead. If you want to go to the dark side, you can heat your spring steel, and then, when it's red hot, let it go cool for about 3 seconds..............this will still be enough heat to attach the bead to the steel, but, when shot, when it hits, the bead will pop off. I would venture a guess, that if you used this weapon on a human being, you could bury the dart into bone, and if it doesn't hit bone, it will go in quite far. If you bury it in bone, and you use the loose bead trick, I guarantee that they will not be able to pull it out very easily without something to hang on to. When you stand 30' away from a wall made of drywall, blow into the blowgun with your mouth a couple inches away from the mouthpiece, so it gets a minimum amount of air.........that will be enough to have to use pliers to pull the dart out of the wall. One main reason why bush people use them so effectively...........they are usually very fit, and can generate a lot of wind..........very powerful weapon, and you don't disturb the forest.

Attached Files: