Dillon Square Deal B

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by buster40c, Jul 19, 2014.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I am thinking of getting into reloading as a retired and bored hobby. I like the Dillon Square Deal B as it is rated very good quality and ease of use. I also like the progressive action. I really don't want a single stage press.
    I am thinking of reloading 9, 38spl, 40, and 45. All just pistol ammo. People are saying if doing more than one caliber then get the 550 Dillon. Would that really save me much money over getting the Square B? Does the 550 come with some set up to do various calibers? I know the SB only comes set up for one caliber? I would still have to buy the different caliber dies for either model wouldn't I? From a you tube video I saw it isn't hard to change out the SB for another caliber in like 10 minutes. I do have more time than money available.
    Another question is are the supplies more available now that the big buy has subsided? On that note is there a better vendor to buy all the supplies from?
    I see there are many experienced loaders here. Anyone looking to sell a good used Dillon?
    Appreciate the help.

2. jeeper1

jeeper1 New Member

I'll sell my Dillon Square Deal B for a thousand dollars. Yeah I know that is double plus the new cost but I really like mine.
    I am planning on and saving for the 9mm conversion parts because I have maybe 6000 empty cases and only about 2000 still loaded and I've shot maybe a thousand this month and this month isn't over yet.

3. buster40c

Well they say everything has a price. LOL yours sort of sucks though. I don't guess you will be getting any takers.
    What do you have to buy for the 9mm conversion? Is that using a quick change out tool head so can be a quick change to another caliber? How much $$ for ready to use 9mm change?

4. jeeper1

jeeper1 New Member

That was meant as humor and to say that I wouldn't part with my SD-B at any price.
    Prices start at about $90 and goes up from there depending on the extras.

5. buster40c

I know what you meant about the double price same as I was kidding you about your price sucks.

6. buster40c

I checked today on some 38 cases, bullets and primers. Geeze they aren't cheap when you add all together for per round. Maybe there are places to buy the components a lot cheaper. I probably wouldn't need the cases but I wanted to see how much per round it would cost me for all. I must have been looking at wrong vendor because I just bought some reloads 38 spl for 12.95 per 50 including freight which is .25 per round. Granted reloading with my own casings it would be cheaper than that.
    I priced a Dillon 550B new for around $700 but I really would need add at least two more die sets to that price to have what I want.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  7. buster40c

Is it feasible to sell reloads or is the liability and expense not worth it?

8. jeeper1

jeeper1 New Member

To sell reloaded ammo legally you must have a manufacturers license ($1000 year if I remember right) and one heck of a lot of insurance ($10 million minimum) and a bunch of things all of which cost money.

9. buster40c

I figured you were going to tell me that. So much for paying back for the press that way.

10. Grizz12

Grizz12 New Member

I got my 550 in the 90's and will never part with it. Do some searches on the net and you will find just about every other brand for sale (used) but very few if any dillions because they are just that good.

11. buster40c

I checked out the Lee just to see the reviews and most said it was a fix daily press. No wonder they are so cheap to buy. I also checked the RCBS and it sure got less than desired reviews also. Looks like the Blue is only way to go if I do buy one.
    The reloading supplies are more expensive than I anticipated and I wonder about the availability of them again also. If I can find a good used machine that is already set up for a good price then I might click for the buy.
    I was following two used 550b's on Ebay and they were going for almost what a new one costs. $50-$100 less than a new one.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  12. billt

billt In the army now..

I have a Dillon Square Deal and I'm not that thrilled with it. I don't like the bastardized dies, and it's small die cast frame. If I were to do it over I would get the 550. It's well worth the few extra bucks.

13. jeeper1

jeeper1 New Member

With the SD-B you insert a case, insert a bullet and operate the handle.
    With the 550s you rotate the shell plate, insert a case, insert a bullet and operate the handle.
    That extra step slows down the round count per hour. The plus is you can use it for rifle cartridges which you can't do on the SD-B.
    If I could have afforded it I would have gotten the 650 but I don't load rifle cartridges in the quantities I do pistol cartridges so I'm fine using an antique Lee 3 hole turret press for what I can't do on the SD-B.

14. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I live about 15 miles from Dillon and own a Square D press and have it set up for 9mm. To buy a new set up without all the bells and whistles you will invest about $400.00 plus or take a few bucks. The 550 runs quite a bit higher and it is a hand indexing machine meaning that every round you load you must turn the shell plate or you could over charge your round. You have to be extremely vigilant when using the 550, meaning no distractions, (TV, wifey interruptions, kids, neighbor and the list goes on). The Square D indexes itself so when you pull the handle, it will turn the shell plate to the next station. YOU DO have to use Dillon dies and to change calibers you have to order the size you want, they will put it together and ship it to you along with a complete instruction/parts book. To change calibers, the set up runs about $90.00. Now regardless where or how old your press is, Dillon will guarantee everything on the machine. Mine is an older machine and I took it up for an complete overhaul and paid $40.00 and everything is refurbished. If I need a part, they send it to me N/C and pay the freight. Once you are in their system, they will completely take care of you. With the Square D you can easily reload 250-300 rounds per hour. One more thing, when you buy a Dillon, if you have ANY questions at all, call them and they will walk you through your whole system free of charge. I would not change out my Square D for any other machine unless I get another to load my SR1911.
    Tommy

P.S. Make sure that you order a case gauge when you order a Dillon so you can check all your rounds and depending on the round size, they cost about $15-18.00

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015