Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble seeing the rear sight on my 584 series mini 14 (another sign of old age?) Do other owners have the same problem? I've read about the Tech Sight replacement and wonder if that would be any easier to see. I'm not considering optics; want to stay with iron sights.
Thanks, Al

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Done that; had cataract surgery on both eyes last year. The reason I'm asking is that I also have a M&P 15 with a peep rear sight that I can see just fine, so I was wondering if changing to a different sight might help.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I know I am going blind but.......even I can see the rear peep sights fine on my 584 series Mini 14.
You really shouldn't have to strain too hard. How far out are you shoooting? past 100 yds. you might want a scope?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm mostly plinking, 25 yards, shooting offhand at 6" and 4" bullseye targets. The problem I'm having is that I can only faintly see the outline of the peep sight, so I'm having trouble centering the front sight in the peep. The front sight I can see fine. Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was (have been) having a similar issue, where it seemed a condition came on all of a sudden to my 65 year old eyes where I was having trouble seeing the front and the rear sight, as well as the target. I'm sure it was gradual, but it seemed sudden.

I wear 2.50 power reading glasses and the solution I found was to go to Dollar Tree and get some 1.50 ans 1.75 power reading glasses to compensate for my failing distance vision.

Perhaps a similar solution could help you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
OP, I just got cataract surgery in both eyes, and am just now finally adjusted about a month or so out. I understand your reservations about not seeing the rear sight aperture clearly, but I suggest your concerns are misplaced. FWIW, I understand all about auxiliary "cheater" glasses for close-up work and reading.

With most "peep" apertures, the eye automatically centers itself vice the rear aperture, and as long as the front sight and target are in focus, you're GTG.

It is true that some shooters use rear sights capable of accepting replaceable rear apertures for more precise shooting on the range, and in good light.

Strongly suggest you avoid "overthinking" this, and let your eye/brain do the work for you automatically. Suggest you put your eye in the best possible spot to see through the reap pep sight, and concentraate on the front sight and the target. Your eye/brain will automatically do the rest, unless there is something very wrong with your eyes.

As long as you can see even the faintest Ghost-Ring" of your rear sight, things will probably work out OK for field use.

If wanting a smaller Internal Peep diameter for more precise shooting, then contact Tech Sights and look into the options available.

You may, or may not need optics to replace your iron sights. Suggest some "open-minded" experimentation on your part is in order.

Best wishes to you!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was (have been) having a similar issue, where it seemed a condition came on all of a sudden to my 65 year old eyes where I was having trouble seeing the front and the rear sight, as well as the target. I'm sure it was gradual, but it seemed sudden.

I wear 2.50 power reading glasses and the solution I found was to go to Dollar Tree and get some 1.50 ans 1.75 power reading glasses to compensate for my failing distance vision.

Perhaps a similar solution could help you.
Respectfully, your solution won't work. Human eye gradually loses the ability to focus at short distances. Damn near universal, and a good optometrist can guess your age by the amount of presbyopia you have. You were LUCKY to not have noticed the problem till you were 65, but I'll bet it was a growing (but not-noticed) problem long before then.

Adding "reading" glasses does not help vision at the distance of a rifle's front sight. Can easily make things worse, since such glasses are intended for close-range use.

I just had cataract surgery in both eyes. I can see rifle's front sight and the targer fine. Rear "peep" aperture is not nearly so dependent on short-range vision impairment.

A "Notched" rear sight on the barrel of some rifles is likely useless at some point, since eyes will fail to focus on it. Very different from rear "Peep" aperture.

Forgive me for being a bit adamant, but I have "new" eyes now, and am finally free of glasses for the first time since 4th grade. I certainly DO need many different magnification "cheater/reading" glasses, depending on how close/detailed the work distance might be.

For instance, with newly-corrected 20-20 vision, I can "get along" with a 1X magnification pair of "cheater/reading" glasses for computer/reading phone use, but need nothing for walking around/watching TV/Driving. For much closer, more detailed work, I need higher magnifications of such glasses.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Respectfully, your solution won't work. Human eye gradually loses the ability to focus at short distances. Damn dear universal, and a good optometrist can guess your age by the amount of presbyopia you have. You were LUCKY to not have noticed the problem till you were 65, but I'll bet it was a growing (but not-noticed0 problem long before then.

Adding "reading" glasses does not help vision at the distance of a rifle's front sight. Can easily make things worse, since such glasses are intended for close-range use.

I just had cataract surgery in both eyes. I can see rifle's front sight and the targer fine. Rear "peep" aperture is not nearly so dependent on short-range vision impairment.

A "Notched" rear sight on the barrel of some rifles is likely useless at some point, since eyes will fail to focus on it. Very different from rear "Peep" aperture.

Forgive me for being a bit adamant, but I have "new" eyes now, and am finally free of glasses for the first time since 4th grade. I certainly DO need many different magnification "cheater/reading" glasses, depending on how close/detailed the work distance might be.

For instance, with newly-corrected 20-20 vision, I can "get along" with a 1X magnification pair of "cheater/reading" glasses for computer/reading phone use, but need nothing for walking around/watching TV/Driving. For much closer, more detailed work, I need higher magnifications of such glasses.
Maybe not for you, but it certainly works for me!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts