Different Primer Questions

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by DrDenby, Nov 9, 2016.

1. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

In the which primers you use thread Tommy said something during his conversation with CCI that I immediately caught:

Is this implying that there are different depths to which the primer can be seated?

If so, how would you go about setting this depth to make it a consistent seat?

Do you all use depth settings?

I just lift the handle til it stops, take it out of the shell holder and feel the bottom to make sure it is not sticking out.

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

" I just lift the handle till it stops, take it out of the shell holder and feel the bottom to make sure it is not sticking out."
    ^^^^This.

3. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I prime on the press using the Lee system. A lot of people don't prefer priming on the press and use a hand held primer. I'm headed that way myself. I've sorta just never really gotten around to switching to a hand primer. Anyway, I bring the press arm all the way up and give it a good squeeze. As I take the case off, I run my finger over the bottom of the shell to make sure it's flush or slightly deeper than flush. Some precision looong range rifle shooters will measure the primers depth, just to make sure everything is perfectly consistent. You can spend hours making just a handful of cartridges. Most if us won't ever shoot the distances these guys do so primer depth isn't a problem as long as it's not sticking out.

4. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I use the primer on my RCBS Rock Crusher, basically the same, Bring it up to the case and with a two finger hold snap it up. The primers are just slightly below the surface. Only use CCI and no problems here.;)

5. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I use a hand held priming tool.
    If the primer ain't slightly below flush to the case head, I figure it needs another push.

It's my understanding that the anvil needs a good solid seat to the case for constant ignition.
    At least that's what every book I read about reloading got me to thinking waaaay back when I started rolling my own.

6. gwpercle

gwpercle Member

No matter what anyone tells you , you want the primers seated all the way into the bottom of the pocket. They need to bottom out, otherwise the first blow from the firing pin will merely drive the primer into the pocket without firing it , a second strike will then fire the fully seated primer.
    I have never figured out a measuring process....some primers vary in thickness and some pockets vary in depth. If the primer will not seat flush or just a bit below flush, try another brand or primer or use a primer pocket uniforming tool to deepen the primer pocket.
    Best method is to prime off press with a hand priming tool, you can feel the primer bottom out and you wont crush the primer as can happen on a press.
    Gary

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

^ ^ ^ That's why I went to a hand held tool.

8. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

As long as the primer is flush with the head of the casing, you will never have a problem with your rounds. On some progressive loaders you can go deeper than flush depending on how the loader is set up. I use a Lyman hand primer, feel the top of it with my index finger and make sure it is flush with the casing. Glock mfg tried to tell me that their stryker fired pistols will go to a depth of 7/1000ths deep so you won't have ignition problems. My response to them was you don't need to go that deep, you can go 3/1000ths if your progressive is set up that way, but it is not necessary as flush fit will ignite the primer. I was having problems with CCI primers and their explanation was they had changed the design of the anvil inside of the primer (making them cheaper) and I was having FTF (failure to fire). On the box of 500 they indent a lot #, hard to read but you can make it out. I read it to him and he stated that I shouldn't have any problems with that lot # indicating that they had some lots that were out of proportion. I believe this was when they were changing over to the newer style anvil. They won't state they had problems however with my conversation the factory tech had indicated they did. That's when I decided that no more CCI's and I use Winchester large pistol primers only. I should note that I was loading 9mm's when I encountered that problem and it has been about 1 1/2 years ago. Hope I clarified that situation.

Tommy