Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if there may be any accuracy difference (at say 25 yds) between a New Model Blackhawk in .357 and its stable mate, a New Model Blackhawk 'Convertible' when you have the .357 cylinder installed (i.e., are those identical revolvers)? And if you buy the convertible, are you just paying another $75 or so to get the 9mm cylinder (which I know has a smaller bullet diameter and is inherently less accurate than a 9mm pistol)?

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Welcome to RugerTalk,

Thanks for joining. Im sure someone will have an answer for ya.

Jim

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Long time ago I had the Ruger "convertible" and had good luck with it. You might find that you will be shooting the 9mm more often due to the cost of ammo. And don't knock the accuracy of the 9mm as it is a good shooting round. I also have a Glock 19 gen 3 and it's chambered in 9mm and you would be surprised with the accuracy. Of course the .357 will have better knock down power if that is what you need also. Good luck and hope you will be happy.
Tommy

·
Registered
157 Posts
In a short answer to your question yes they are the same revolver, you are paying the $75 for the extra cylinder and to have it timed correctly to your gun. Yes the 9mm round is slightly smaller than the .357/.38 but at short range (25 and less) you shouldn't see any big difference in accuracy. If you are a reloaded you can always load lead rounds in your 9mm's they will expand better in the barrel. Hope that answered your question.

·
Registered
2 Posts
With the .357/38 cylinder the gun will be identical to a non convertible.
Within 25 yds, accuracy is almost identical between the three calibers.
I have found that my BH's prefer heavier bullets of any caliber. My Blackhawks are old models though. The frame size is smaller than the new models, so NM'S may be different

·
Registered
2 Posts
With the .357/38 cylinder the gun will be identical to a non convertible.
Within 25 yds, accuracy is almost identical between the three calibers.
I have found that my BH's prefer heavier bullets of any caliber. My Blackhawks are old models though. The frame size is smaller than the new models, so NM'S may be different.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts