Did I make a bad purchase?

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by stevenkyle96, Mar 16, 2013.

1. stevenkyle96

stevenkyle96 New Member

I went into the pawn shop today and purchased a Ruger Mark II target pistol with a leupold M8-2X EXTENDED E.R. scope for 600 dollars. The pistol is in good condition and they had it marked as a Mark III target pistol. I assumed it was and didn't actually look at the markings on the gun until I got home. I just wanted to know if this is around the price range I should have paid for a Mark II target pistol with this scope set up.

2. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

It might be a high price, depends on a few variations.

Is it a stainless or blued model of MKII?

Bull or slab barrel?

Does the scope have a gold ring?

What brand of scope rings?

Any trigger or action upgrades you know of?

3. stevenkyle96

stevenkyle96 New Member

It is the stainless model with a bull barrel. The scope does have a gold ring and I don't know what brand the scope rings are. And I don't know if their is any upgrades but the trigger does feel extremely smooth.

4. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

I'd say you did fine. Congrats on the new ruger

5. CajunBass

CajunBass New Member

Anytime you get something you want, at a price you're willing to pay for it, you got a good deal.

Enjoy it.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
    Oldmick likes this.
  6. FrogSwatter

FrogSwatter New Member

Sounds nice! How about some pictures?

7. weblance

weblance New Member

8. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

MKII target in stainless run $400-$450 on Gunbroker used. The scope runs about $200 used.

You paid a reasonable price, and got a firearm you like, you did good.

9. stevenkyle96

stevenkyle96 New Member

Thanks for the help guys! I'm happy with this one and I'll be looking to get a 22/45 lite pretty soon as well!

10. weblance

weblance New Member

Dont pay $600 for your LITE

11. KMO

KMO Northern Arizona

As the owner of two Mark III's, I believe the Mark II was a superior design. I would say you paid top dollar for a good pistol/scope, but the shop owner misrepresented the sale. If you had bought a car marketed as a 2012 model, only to find out later it was a 2011, I'll bet you'd be beating a path to the dealer's doorstep. As a matter of principle, I'd confront the seller about this pistol transaction. He owes you something back in my opinion.

12. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

You did buy it so it couldn't have been that bad in your opinion - you went through with it after all. ;) More than I'd have spent but that's me. The scope...looking at auctions, is going for $160-200 used so that puts the gun at $400...about $100 to high. Bottom line is if YOU are happy with it though. Worrying about if you overspent, got a bad deal, or even a poor choice in the gun itself is all kinda moot after the fact. Shoot it and enjoy it. :)

13. Red-Ryder

Red-Ryder New Member

I will chime in ,
    I own more than 1 ruger MK II and most people ( including myself ) feel the MK II is higher quality and better trigger
    A longer bull barrel is a target version - what does it say on the Side of the barrel ?

A gold ring around a variable power scope may indicate its a Leopold - if it is you did very well as a MK 2 + nice scope

Please join the NRA ,
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. ccryder

ccryder New Member Lifetime Supporter

22/45 Mark III Lite are running $319.00 then tax and bkg check.

15. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I would really like to see some pics of it as I have never seen a stainless MKll.
    I have a MKll and it even makes me look like a good shooter.
    Sounds like you got a very good top notch gun and scope to match. The more you shoot it you will think you got a great gun deal. The scope could make for quicker sighting than the irons and probably be even more accurate than it already is. You are going to love that gun.