Desert Eagle Update.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by squirrelhunter, Dec 22, 2015.

1. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Last April I sent my Desert Eagle 44 mag back because the Weaver rail on the barrel was .020-.025 undersized and the clamp on reflex sight I have won't quite tighten up enough,almost but not quite so in the process of trying to figure out if it was the sight or gun I found out the rail was undersized. The email I got from them verified it was undersized but the entire stock was undersized,I suspected they had their specs undersized. They said it would be maybe 6 months before they ran any more and when they got more in they would send a return label so they could replace the barrel free of charge,which I thought was a bit strange knowing all the guns they assemble in the meantime would be undersized. Most quality control department fix or scrap defective parts when they're brought to their attention but I know barrels can't be cheap. Anyway,it's been over 7 months now so I thought I'd check to see if they knew anything about when they'd get some. Their reply was it would be a MINIMUM of another 6 months because of their current inventory and that unfortunately they've never changed their specs,but when they got more they'd send a return label. I don't think they have any intention of changing it myself and guess I'll have to try something else because I'm tired of the gun just sitting in the cabinet and not being able to use it. I've had it almost 2 years and have only shot 1 box of factory ammo through it trying to figure out why it wasn't shooting groups at all. I with the reflex sight.now I COULD use it with open sights but I can't shoot open sights at a very far distance accurately and this gun's for deer hunting which could easily be shooting at 40-50 yards.

P.S. For the price they charge for their guns you'd think they'd care a little more about their quality.

2. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

From what is sounds like, they really don't care about your situation. They are going to keep producing products which seem to be sub standard and letting the customer find out the hard way. If it were me, and this is me, I would become a real pain in the butt on fixing your problem. There is no reason for a manufacturer to have a customer who has pointed out a problem, admitting it and not taking the time to fix the problem. How long would it take for them to set up a lathe, die, or CNC machine to make the correct measurements and get one to you? I would hound them until the gates of hell froze over, by daily phone calls to the management requesting that your problem take top priority and get the darned thing fixed. Just MHO is all but I can understand your frustration.

Tommy

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Tommy, not everyone has your silver tongue.

;)

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Maybe what is needed is a silver bullet. That's about p poor service to their customers. I would sell the piece of crap or ask the company to refund my purchase price. A piece of junk is just like a big hole just sitting there. Sounds like a pretty crappy company. You might ask for general manager or CEO and give them an ear full. That's ridiculous.

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I think what I would do is modify the clamp on my sight - like take a fine file to the top clamping surfaces (the ones that grab the sight).

6. squirrelhunter

I've tried everything I can think of with the sight,it's a quick release sight and tightened as tight as I can get it,it still moves around. Shots are all over the target,with open sights it seems accurate,I just can't shoot open sights more than about 20 ft. accurately though.

7. squirrelhunter

It's not really a piece of junk,other than an undersized rail there's nothing wrong with it,good solid gun just can't use a reflex sight on it,at least a quick release sight,haven't tried one with screws and don't want to spend the money not knowing if IT will work.

8. buster40c

Gotcha on the piece of junk. More like a problem than a piece of junk.

9. squirrelhunter

Yep and a sight with actually rings instead of a clamp with a tightening lever might solve the problem, but then again it may not and with my finances I can't afford to blow a $100 and it not help. The replacement barrel won't cost me a thing.

10. buster40c

It does seem strange they say such a long waiting time. I find it hard to believe they don't have dozens of barrels sitting on the assembly line. I would be calling their customer service for sure. I guarantee because I have had it happen, that Ruger pulled parts I needed off the assembly line for me.
    Have you asked on forums for Desert Eagle if any other owners have barrels undersized like yours?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  11. squirrelhunter

I believe the guy I've been talking to is in customer service and they have lots in stock but they're all undersized. I don't know if they mill the rail down there or buy them already ready for assembly from another company. You know how it is these days,parts come from all over then 1 company assembles them and some parts are even pre-assembled at another plant. Not sure how the gun industry is. I'm planning on trying to get to the bottom of it after the Holidays,I'm going to try talking to management if I can. I've got this posted on 5 forums but haven't found any others that own them,doesn't seem to be many Desert Eagle owners out there. I just posted the question on both Facebook pages and went back a year through the posts and nobody else has said anything about it but I only saw 1 with a sight on it too.

12. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Squirrel,
    Desert Eagle is owned by Kahr however the rights to the pistol is still held by Magnum Research Inst. who first developed the pistols. I remember looking at them years ago. Kahr purchased them in 2010 and the guns, from what I have seen are made and manufactured in Minnesota. Kahr however is manufactured in New York and are opening a plant in Pennsylvania. This is some contact info in case you don't have it. I will contact you with Desert Eagles service dept. by mail and maybe it will help you out. I will also send you their phone number. I would be on the phone constantly with the management expressing your concerns and DEMANDING service on a product you already own. Do not be shy when talking to them and make sure you document all your calls and e-mails and who you talked to. Keep a complete log at hand so if they call you back or correspond in any way, you have all the info in front of you.
    I would ask for one of the following people as you have gone through customer service and have NOT received any help or assistance when you make the phone calls. Explain to the operator that you are having problems and no one has helped and you want to talk to who the hell is in charge. Now that you know the names, they can't give you the runaround you have been getting. I mailed you the phone # and contact info.
    Best of luck and keep us posted please.

Tommy

Following info: Owner of Desert Eagle Jim Skildum
    Chief Operating Officer John Risdall

13. squirrelhunter

If my research is right the rail falls between a weaver and a picatinny,they may have made it this size on purpose so you can use equipment designed for either rail,unfortunately my reflex doesn't have much of an adjustment on it like scope rings with screws,mine just has a tightening lever. I decided to go with a pistol scope instead so I wouldn't have to worry about the battery going dead at the wrong time and found an old set of see through scope rings in 1 of my shooting equipment boxes and they tighten up just fine. All I need now is to get a scope and see how it does. So in the meantime I'm not going to pursue the matter until I try it with a scope but it looks like it will be good to go. I also noticed on their Facebook page that the ones coming out this year have a weaver rail on top like mine and a picatinny rail underneath so they may have had other people complaining,don't know for sure. I am going to call and ask if they're suppose to be this size for the reason I mentioned earlier at least to get some peace of mind,maybe they are actually suppose to be the same size as a weaver rail,who knows.

14. Willieboy

Willieboy New Member

Maybe many people have the problem and just don't realize it. Maybe if they know their gun was out of spec, more people would squawk. Maybe if more people squawked, maybe the company would get on the stick, correct the specs and take care of their customers. Maybe.

15. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR New Member

I bought a new Magnum Research BFR in 44 Mag last summer . I shot the gun a lot and have had zero problems with it (love the thing) . But Magnum Research is less than poor on customer service . When I got my BFR the rear sight was not right it would not zero at 50 yards and the front sight was to tall . So I sent it back to have the rear sight replaced and front sight made shorter . When I got the gun back a note said it had been shot to point of aim and shot fine . The first thing I seen was the rear sight blade notch was way to small and I could not see around the front sight ? I found a new old stock blade that was ok .

I call Magnum Research and found that the sight a Meritt was no longer made and It was fine when they worked on it . They had bought all the stock and was using them up . They more or less called me a lier and ask for a picture of the sight blade that I THOUGHT was to small .

I really like the BFR but think I may sell or trade it as it makes me mad to look at it .

16. squirrelhunter

Here it is with the new 2-6x scope.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. squirrelhunter

I got it sighted in for the most part,will fine tune it after I get loads worked up.

18. gumpy

gumpy New Member

That's a nice looking setup you got there. You love it, don't you.

19. squirrelhunter