Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the 125 grain bullet has proven stopping power. However, it has also proven to be a flame cutter. From what I have read, the 158 grain bullet does less flame cutting. I've never shot a 158 grain round... only 100 and 125 grain rounds. Can a case be made for the 158 grain bullet for self-defense?

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Sure. The standard problem for home defense use is over-penetration aka 'shoot-through', but modern bullet designs can minimize that. My .357 Blackhawk (stainless) came to me 2nd hand. The original owner shot a lot of .158 grain bullets through it during the two years he used it in silhouette competitions. No sign of flame cutting, lots of steel beasties knocked over.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, a 158 grain hollow point should be a good defensive round with limited risk of over-penetration?

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
So, a 158 grain hollow point should be a good defensive round with limited risk of over-penetration?
A 'hunting' hollow point still has a significant risk. Golden Saber, in a tailored load, has a better chance at staying put. Over- penetration is an issue with any 'hot' round - including that 125 grain .357.

·
Registered
411 Posts
When I carried my Security Six, it was loaded with 158gr 357 semi jacketed hollowpoints.

There was another thread called "if you could only have one"

That gun and that ammo was and still is, THE one that I would choose.. keeping in mind the premise of can only have one.

Doc

·
Registered
120 Posts
Worried about flame cutting, in house over penetration , blinding muzzle flash inside a dark house ? Could always load it with the ever popular 38 special. That's the beauty of a 357 magnum , you don't have to shoot magnums if you don't want or need magnum performance. It's soooo versatile !
Gary

·
Registered
101 Posts
I know the 125 grain bullet has proven stopping power. However, it has also proven to be a flame cutter. From what I have read, the 158 grain bullet does less flame cutting. I've never shot a 158 grain round... only 100 and 125 grain rounds. Can a case be made for the 158 grain bullet for self-defense?
OMY Yes! Flame cutting is a minor nuisance, usually caused by hot loads and lighter bullets. I shot thousands of 150-158 gr. bullets at +P and better velocities in a Smith 586, and some 125 gr., too. No flame cutting. Given milder loads, which are easier to shoot accurately, more fun, and don't cause a flinch as easily! The 158 gr. lead or jacketed are VERY capable defense rounds.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Don't think Willieboy is around anymore but I'll play anyway...
If flame cutting with .357 / 125 gr bullets worries you try using Win 125 PDX1 ammo.
They are S L O W for a 125gr .357 load.
When shooting them you get a lot less recoil/blast/fire than what you get with 'regular' Win 125 gr ammo.

I recently clocked both from a 4.5/8" Blackhawk barrel:
Win 125 gr JHP PDX1 Defender - 1245 FPS, Newer bonded bullet ammo. Win claims 1325 FPS
Win 125 gr JHP Personal Protection - 1478 FPS, 'Standard' bullet ammo. Win claims 1450 FPS
The above numbers are from a ten shot average.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Woops! I just have to start reading the post dates!:oops:
Nah, the old date of a thread doesn't mean it's over, just on a break.
Like buster said: "Old threads still have merit today."
Because ... A guest or new member might have the same question and would never see it if we didn't post on old threads.
Know what I mean? ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts