Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this article and thought it goes along with a dead man doesn't lie. It is a pretty long article but I thought it was pretty interesting. It pretty much tells real {dead} life experiences from the morgue which sheds some light on the 9mm vs 40 or 45 debate.
http://www.gunthorp.com/Terminal Ballistics as viewed in a morgue.htm
I also read some time ago an article by an ER doctor that also had the same conclusion that ammo caliber with a 4, IE: 40, 44, or 45 produced deadlier consequences with less shots.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Buster,
I read this article sometime ago and he gives a very good explanation of his theories and ideas. And it goes back to the same thing we all recognize which is the BG. Today they all carry whatever they can get their hands on, usually stolen or off the black market and just to have one in their possession is a big deal. They can wave it around, show it off, but keep their hankies over their faces so they are not recognized. As far as practicing, the only practice they get is either at a 10 foot range or driving by in a car. However, this is what the antis will believe: that if you get those guns away from the general population, we won't have a gun problem. I occasionally, and I mean occasionally watch the gang shows on TV and it about makes me puke. They are big, rough and tough, but do they have the willingness to die? What happens then? Their mamas and daddies come out and say "my boy was a good boy! He only had 13 arrests." Then they want a federal investigation. I will continue to carry my .45 Commander and hope to God I never have to use it, but I will if something happens. I think all of us on this forum have the same sentiments, although I can't speak for them, just for myself.
Tommy

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep the idea of shooting a BG is bad enough but for the BG to keep firing back scares the heck out of me. That's why I carry a 357 or 40 or 45. Knock on wood I never have to use any of them. I also carry a zapper to maybe use first against gun less threat. The main point is to stop the threat.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've had several people ask me the question. And I say the same thing. I have my firearms for fun and defense, and I hope I never have to use it, but if I need it it's there.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I've seen that article. It's interesting, but the data ends in 2006. Bullets for defensive ammo have improved since then. Quite a lot, according to some studies.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kind of surprising finding a few old posts come back to visuals today.
VT you could be right about ammo improving over the years and for that reason it would be interesting to read some new morgue stats. I sort of still lean toward the 357, or "4" calibers possibly having better stopping power, but that can all change from one situation to another as well as one shooter to another.
That new round from Ruger looks interesting for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Kind of surprising finding a few old posts come back to visuals today.
VT you could be right about ammo improving over the years and for that reason it would be interesting to read some new morgue stats. I sort of still lean toward the 357, or "4" calibers possibly having better stopping power, but that can all change from one situation to another as well as one shooter to another.
That new round from Ruger looks interesting for sure.
Yep, and that ain't the only recent bullet that sort of mimics the flechette principle. I think some of it comes from concern about 'collateral damage', but the result seems to be 'unfixable' wounds.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I saw it and not Cabela’s recently. If I recall correctly, they ran about a buck a shot.

I wish they offered the bullets for reloading..........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts