Deer spotting

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by buster40c, Oct 18, 2015.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

A friend has about 5 acres heavy thicket with about 2 acres cleared and we have seen quite a few deer tracks. Her son had walked down to the almost dried up creek at back of property and he was surprised what tracks he saw. He saw hog, deer, and he got really excited seeing some really big cat tracks.
    Her son set up a feeder and also an 18' tree stand. Bow season opened last week and he saw some deer but couldn't get a shot off. I was out there a few hours in the afternoon and when we were leaving around 5:30 P.M. I said let's go look at that felled tree across the lower driveway. I wanted to see if someone had cut it down or what happened. It appears it had been dead for a while and a good wind took it down by breaking the trunk off about 2' above the ground. While we there we saw 4 doe and one fawn near the feeder. I am guessing the buck might have been back in the thicket. We left before seeing if he was even there.
    Well it looks like I just might get to use my Marlin 336c 30-30 and take a hog or a deer this year. It will be my first if I do get one. I am looking forward to getting out there. I need do some sighting in my scope.

Attached Files:

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

You murderer...;):D

Hey keep us posted on how ya make out.

We are in bow season now, I just cant get time to sneak off to the woods with my crossbow.

Jim

3. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Cat tracks! :eek:
    You know they say we/you/us are supposed to have Mountain Lions in this/your/our area these days.
    Not that they would want anything at all to do with humans, but are you gonna take a sidearm along just in case???
    If you just had some sort of a .357 Magnum or something............ :D

Of course Bobcats are common in all of Texas. Some of them can get pretty big.

4. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

The last time I was up nort, I scared up a big buck..................luckily for him, I don't hunt.;)

5. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Usually when I am out I have my LCR loaded with 357 on me. I am not to thrilled about killing deer but hogs I have no problem shooting them. The old saying "going hog wild" is really referring to Texas as they are really over running the state.
    I have a cheapo crossbow that I wonder if the arrows wouldn't bounce off the deer. Is there a separate season for bow, compound bow and crossbow?

6. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

In the Catalina Mountains just north of Tucson the Fish and Game found out we had an overload of mountain lions, over 30. Not sure how they figured or counted heads but this came up after they introduced http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014...servation-arizona-mountain-lion-catalina.html

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I don't hunt with a bow so I don't keep up with the reg's. But they did make it legal to hunt dear with a crossbow a few years ago.
    I believe any type of bow is allowed in the bow season.

Anyplace that sells hunting licenses should have a booklet covering hunting regulations.