Decent load data for 165gr 44 mag

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by chelboed, Jul 25, 2013.

1. chelboed

chelboed Member

For the life of me, I can't find any good load data for the Sierra 165 gr JHP. All that's out there is reduced recoil, slow load data. If we're getting 1850-1900 fps out of a 180, we should be able to get over 2k with the 165.

I know, I know...why pump up such a little bullet for a big gun? Because hyper-explosive bullets against water jugs = tons of fun!

Right now, were experimenting with 20 gr of Unique with a tight crimp for pressures. Will chrony soon. Have to use a faster burning powder because of the limited capacity in the 44 mag case.[​IMG]

2. redhawk4life

redhawk4life New Member

Chelboed:
    This is the lightest bullet load data I can find for a sierra jhp. For a faster burning powder try 2400 but use a magnum pistol primer it is thicker and will withstand more pressures. 1374793676460.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ruger Forum mobile app

3. chelboed

chelboed Member

Thanks. I've already got 180 data. The 20 grains of unique just barely started to show pressures, so I think we'll stick with that. Will chrony tomorrow.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

4. chelboed

chelboed Member

I don't think 2400 burns fast enough to get that little bullet up to speed. The Unique should be a little more efficient.

5. chelboed

chelboed Member

Well the 165's are a bust. There's not enough resistance there to create useable pressures. The best we got was 1800 fps. Heck, we're getting at least that with the 180's. Oh well...the quest for 2000+ fps from a 7.5" Redhawk is a bust. I'll have to stick with 180's and keep an eye out for a Contender or Encore with a 14-15"barrel.

6. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Good info Chelboed,

I like experimenting also.

I might try some Bullseye or Power Pistol just to see what it could do.

Fun of reloading.

Jim

7. chelboed

chelboed Member

Repost results when you're done. If you can crest 2k...I'll definitely load some.

8. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Might be a while,

I usually dont do much reloading untill Fall and Winter, just too busy with Summer , outside projects.

But, I will let you know,
    if I can find some 165gr bullets.

Jim

9. Rob1990

Rob1990 New Member

Hornady makes a special lever action 44mag round that might get you where you want to be. But then again shorter barrel might not get going that fast. But I was looking on there site and was wondering if it'd be safe to shoot it out of a handgun. Maybe y'all can answer that for me. I just got my 1st 44mag.

Sent from my DROID4 using Ruger Forum mobile app

10. chelboed

chelboed Member

Sorry to necropost, but I've been experimenting again. (with 180's) To answer your question Rob...the Hornady LeverRevolution 44 magnums won't be as hot as the 180's I've been loading. You won't find a "factory" ammo that can compete in velocity because I load my shells for my specific gun. Hornady loads billions of shells for all guns. They have to be a bit conservative so they don't blow up any m29's or Taurus's, hahaha.

The Ruger .44 mag's are much tougher than the average revolver...thus you can easily shoot the Hornady ammo in them.

But: FTX bullets aren't the greatest in the pistol. I've loaded 225gr FTX's and I'm getting better results with a 240JHP. I think they're really great for their intended purpose. A carbine.

Back to the 165's...

Anybody experiment yet? I'm going to try h110 next, I think. Note: these are just plinking rounds for bottle-popping and fun.

11. Rob1990

Rob1990 New Member

My 44mag is a ruger super blackhawk. With the 7 1/2 barrel. Seems like a tough gun. Also have a security six in 357mag built like a tank. Anyway im looking into reloading myself at the moment just not sure where to get the supplys any suggestions?

12. bullboo1

bullboo1 New Member

I can get that much velocity out of 240 gr rounds from my Ruger 44 magnum auto carbine. A 160 gr bullet in 44 mag is basically a flying saucer/disk thats why they ahve no usable data like everyone has said its to light. Be carefull with H110 its a great powder but its very unforgiving if you do not follow industry warnings so do not under load it by more then 3% less then written data from the powder manufacturer and do not over load it by more then a grain or so and only in heavy Ruger firearms as some are not so heavy as others these days. I get great results fo it for carbine and revolver so have fun. H110 is not a revolver plinki powder but you will find plenty of light loads with it published I just did some great ones with my 4" inch barrel nickel plated S&W 57, 41 magnum and it shot smooth for the kids they had fun with no recoil and it was really accurate. Excuse my bad tying, spelling and such I never fully relearned it all after brain wounds andat this point itwill never imporve...I keep trying any ways. I am in to casting now anyone got any 30-06 200 gr cast lead loads for the 1903 Springfiled?