Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My mother was born in Wahiawa, Oahu, Hawaii and she remembered when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. She was 14 yrs. old. She said at first they heard the planes and looked overhead and she thought some of them were so low that they would hit the trees. The whole family stood in amazement at the number of planes. The finally saw the red circles on the planes and didn't realize what was going on until the bombs started exploding, yet they really didn't realize what was going on. Grandpa told them to run to the church across the street. Then the second wave of planes came over and they stood in the church while more bombing went on. They waited for a 3rd wave of planes but none came. They went home that night and Grandpa was told to not turn on the lights, paint the windows black and then they lit candles for light. He had an old rusty shotgun that stood by the door with only a couple of rounds and he was up all night waiting for more to happen. Later on, and I don't remember how long she said, the government was rounding up a lot of their Japanese friends telling them to take a little clothing because they were moving. They knew not where they were going, but would be leaving soon. They had little time to say good bye and then they were gone. They kept the windows black and for a long time they used candles for light at night. Hard to believe that friends were gone and so was the peaceful life style they used to have. Next day Pres. Roosevelt announced that we were at war. Hopefully this will never happen again. Yet it did- we call it 9-11-01.

Tommy

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
A day that has lived in infamy...

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Tojo had it figured wrong. It ain't just politicians, generals can have their heads up their butts too.

Within a month my oldest brother was recalled to active duty and the other three went to enlist. North Africa and France for the oldest, Sicily and Italy for the youngest. The other two were 4F, and several doctors wouldn't change their minds.

I was 4 y.o. at the time. Basically that meant cowboys and Indians changed to Japs and Germans in our games.

·
Banned
5,591 Posts
My dad, a proud WWII veteran, passed away 7 years ago tomorrow. Ironically, I know he planned this himself, but damn, I sure miss him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts