Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for actual (measured) dB levels for different ammo with a standard 10/22.
Specifically looking for the quietest possible ammo (that will give decent groups).

I would be really interested in some dB readings for the following:
CCI CB long or short
Colibri Ammo 22 Long Rifle 20 Grain Solid Point
Aguila SSS Sniper Subsonic Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 60 Grain Lead Round Nose
Aguila Super Colibri
Aguila Colibri
BB caps
CB caps
Remington CBee 22

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Guy at work told me about the Aguila Colibri being so quiet and just uses the primer but still had surprising power to it. He gave me a few and I tried them in a Marlin 60 rifle and the trigger made more noise than the cartridge did. I tried it in a 4.5 inch barrel revolver and oh crap it was not quiet as in the rifle. Though it was maybe half as loud as a normal 22lr. cartridge.
I haven't tried the others.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Is the CCI quiet just use the primer for propellant or does it also have powder charge? Does it cycle a semi auto slide?

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
CCI quiet moves at about 700 fps. It has powder for sure

·
Banned
5,591 Posts
Here is a footnote about CCI Quiet ammo...

68 dB @ shooters ear

These cartridges may be used in semi-automatic firearms, however manual cycling of the action may be required.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Wow 68 db is quiet for sure. I wouldn't mind hand cycling the slide as that would be much better than the slide jamming because of the round.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just got done shooting some Aguila Super Colibri and CCI Quiet-22. I have shot both out of my 10/22 and Ruger American Rimfire. My 10/22 has a 20" barrel, my RAR has a 22" barrel. The 10/22 will not cycle either one. Manually cycle them and they shoot fine out of a 10/22. The Quiet is a 40gr bullet and the Super Colibri a 20gr bullet. The Super Colibri is quieter than the Quiet. Over the Chrony the Colibri 10 shot avg from a 22" barrel 624fps (adv 590fps) and the Quiet 755fps (adv 710fps).

Using my Android phone and db meter app this is what measured from my 10/22, Super Colibri 85db and Quiet 87db. Shorter barrels will likely be louder as my RAR shoots them both a bit quieter, Super Colibri 80db and Quiet 82db. Both of these rounds are substantially quieter than any subsonic ammo I have shot.

Can't help you with the others as I don't currently have those rounds. Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts