Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog has learned how to get through or under my fenced in 2 acres. He knows how to pull the gate open but for some reason he hasn't figured how to push the gate in to get back in the yard. The problem is he has been going over to the couple of neighbor's that have dogs. He sits in the center of their yards like he is saying he claims it as his. Twice in the last week I heard a dog yelping and I thought my dog maybe attacked a neighbor's dog. Both times it was my dog yelping as he ran back home. This last time he got bit pretty good. Looks like he got bit on his side and really got bit above his tail to where it was bleeding. I think the neighbor where he went to has a pretty big Boxer. I have two acres but oh no that isn't enough room to explore.
I am not sure what to do with him. Chain him to a dog house or get rid of him. He even somehow has been getting the cable hook to release from his collar. I am afraid of getting a lawsuit from him maybe someday biting someone or some dog. He has never bit me but he has viciously growled at me. He usually just loves visitors and he sometimes would lay on back in surrender to people he somehow feared.
He now thinks he is king and trying to show he is in control of the roost. I have news for him, if he bites me he is one dead dog. He is becoming a problem. He doesn't seem to bother small dogs but big dogs he has a problem dealing with. He is getting a sore butt tangling with the Boxer. I can't keep him in the fenced yard anymore and as much as I hate to chain him up that might be all I can do except find someone that can train him. When he was a pup I walked him inside my fence line every day. He is getting an attitude now that he better get rid of or I will have to get rid of him.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Sounds like he spends all his time outside alone now. Bring him in the house and only let him out to do his business and go for walks with you or play in the yard with you.

Dogs are pack animals- either bring him into your pack or give him to someone who can spend the time with him he needs.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Buster,

If your dog ever does anything that displeases you, then you correct him. Usually a dog will stare you in the eyes until one of you turns away. Do NOT turn away first! You must establish you are the master and he is sub serviant. I know you have a bad knee however he needs to be walked on a leash and trained so he knows what is acceptable and what is not. You may need a trainer to assist you so that way he understands YOUR commands. Nothing harder than trying to train a dog when you are mixed up yourself in the correct signals. Work with him and contact a trainer that won't cost an arm and a leg. Plenty of them out there, you just have to find the right one.

Tommy

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This dog is a house dog and he is house trained. I guess I have let him have to much run of the house so now he is thinking he is king of the domain. if I go to another room he goes right with me. I can't even go to the toilet without him sitting right in front of me.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Him staying right with you is a positive. My dog goes were ever I go and when out of the house he is on a leash, and yes I carry plastic bags for his stools. It is the law here but also I see no reason to expect others to clean up after my dog.:cool:

·
Banned
5,591 Posts
I walk my dogs twice a day, they love it and it is good exercise for me. I always walk with a golf club (for balance and protection) and I have a dog poop bag dispenser for it. My neighbors love that I clean up after the little crappers, but I am watching their houses as well. it is a win-win for everyone!

·
Banned
558 Posts
This dog is a house dog and he is house trained. I guess I have let him have to much run of the house so now he is thinking he is king of the domain. if I go to another room he goes right with me. I can't even go to the toilet without him sitting right in front of me.
He prolly realizes your sorta crippled and is ready to protect you from BG's at any second. ;) Prolly faster than you can run to get your pistola. Great dogs follow their masters.

All three of my Ridgebacks would jump the wall when they were younger and chase coyotes. It was their favorite thing to do.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess when he is outside by himself then I will have him on a runner which is what I used to have him on. He went for a long time with run of the land before he learned how to get out of the fence.

·
Banned
558 Posts
I was taking care of my sisters dog for a couple months, a large lab an he would jump a six foot fence and go raid chicken coups. This was on the southside. Angry Mexicans would follow him home. I would get yelled at all the time.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
I would have expected them to make you pay for the damaged chickens. If they didn't you got off lucky.:machinegun:

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe Ernesto just said he didn't understand Spanish lingo. Even if they were speaking English.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts