Cutting the pay TV cord.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by phideaux, May 17, 2015.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Ok, I need some advice....input....suggestions on what type...size... brand of rooftop antenna to look at getting.

Ive had it with paying for satellite Dish Network, when they dont put anything on that interest me and the wife.

Been reading a little , and seems that we can get quite a few stations , all in HD from an antenna.

You guys got any experience with antennas?

Jim

2. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Years ago I used to install antennas before the "satellite age" hit us. Of course satellites took over and very few in my area have antennas any more however a buddy of mine (he's 77 yrs. old) still uses an antenna. Problem is that you are very limited to what you can receive although many more stations are available than used to be. I have the same problem. I have Dish and every night they load the stations, regardless of which one with reruns. Also every month they want me to update as I have the basic package and I pay $57.00 a month. I limit myself to the History channel, Fox news, Nat. Geo., Velocity and maybe one or 2 more. Check to see what the antenna channels that are offered before you change. It seems expensive to spend almost a grand a year to watch TV when all that is on is crap!
    Tommy

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I have had dish twice and ripped it off the roof and returned it because it sucked and was to dang expensive. I got over 120 channels of which I watched maybe 10 at most. I basically wanted it to watch drag racing, movies and get the sports channels. That cost me close to $80 a month for crap I didn't understand the language or there were dozens of copied programs. When I had the new roof put on I told them to trash the dang dish.
    I have an old TV that I have to use a converter for and then I use an HDTV indoor flat antenna made by RCA that I bought at Walmart. I get all the local channels which now under HDTV is more channels than were available before the change over. I may have to move the antenna a few feet in another position to get a few of the channels but for most it stays in one position sitting on top of the tv. Now I have channels that show many movies new and old time flicks. Channels that show old time TV programs that aren't crap like todays programs and regular local channels for zip nada no cost. I can go to RedBox and rent a movie for $1.25 which probably will not be on cable or dish so quickly. Besides that dish and cable run the same movies over and over for the whole month. They would have to give me dish or cable before I would think about having it again.
    My brother has a TV and appliance store that's been in the family for over 60 years. I am going to contact him about what he suggests using for an antenna.

Meanwhile here is a link rating many HDTV indoor and outdoor antennas. I have an older version of the RCA antenna listed in this link.
    Perhaps if you went with their #1 rated antenna it would work fine and you won't need an outdoor antenna.
    http://hdtv-antenna-review.toptenreviews.com/

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

As in most locations in Vermont, I am in a valley. No local channel signals make it in. If I could just wean myself from baseball and football, my TV set would be used only to watch movies on DVD. As it is, I am trapped in an abomination of a contract with Vermont Telephone Company. Its owner is damn near a caricature of Mr. Sharp Business Practice, including misleading small print. (Just typing that pissed me off.)

5. phideaux

I guess I need to mention, that Im sitting high on top of a hill, but the nearest broadcaststation is Paducah Ky about 35 miles away,
    Im sure there are others around , some may be out to 100 miles.

Im 110 miles from Nashville Tn.

I watch any movie I want at any time I want. free thru my laptop ,piped into my TV thru HDMI cable.Movie Tube.com.

I just want to see the daily news, The Voice, Americas got Talent, all local , I like The Rifleman, Lone Ranger, Andy Griffith, Happy Days, Honeymooners.:cool:

But I do like History Channel.

Just cant figger out what type antenna to put on pole on top of house, big medium, small, cheap, spensive..:confused:

Jim

6. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm using the antenna dad put on a tower when I was a kid,it gets Ft. Wayne-50 miles away,Dayton Oh-60 miles away and Indy-90 miles away. I don't really know much about the newer ones but I've noticed around here a lot are putting up this antenna that looks like a white round one that looks like a fly saucer. My next door neighbor has one and it picks up really well I guess,he's got it mounted to a small pole fastened to the side of his house,but it might not be a HDTV antenna not sure.I know it rotates like this one but it's also thicker.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Supersonic-360-Degree-HDTV-Motorized-Antenna/29130889

7. buster40c

I saw there is an outdoor antenna on the link of reviews and it was inexpensive. Your sitting up on a hill is very beneficial for your reception. I am about 60 miles out from towers and I get fairly good results with my cheapo indoor antenna. The picture is as good as being on cable or dish. I don't have snowy or rough picture. Like you I like watching the oldies like Burns and Allen show and those you mentioned. So much better than the crap new programs. I would suggest going with the first place indoor antenna on the review site because it has an amplifier built in. My RCA antenna doesn't have any amplifier and it still works good with my being over 50 miles from TV towers. I think weather conditions do cause me to move the antenna position occasionally.
    I will say I agree with what some say on the reviews in that some indoor HDTV antennas have trouble receiving signal going through some walls. My antenna doesn't work very well in my living room but works good in my pc/bedroom. I noticed the number one rated antenna on the site says it works good in most any location in the home. Possibly due to the built in amplifier.
    I talked to my nephew and he said they don't sell much antenna stuff anymore since about everyone has cable or satellite. He said best just use the reviews like on the link and go from there. He also said if go outside antenna then go as high as you can. I really think the indoor antenna would work fine for you being on a hill and close to towers.
    When I had Sprint cell for internet I had to use an outdoor antenna because I live in a fringe area. BTW Sprint sucks so bad it is pitiful and don't believe their ads that they don't throttle because they do big time. Anyway I bought two sections of galvanized pipe connected with a joint. I put it up from ground and attached at top of roof eave peak with a clamp that allowed me to rotate the pole by hand. This would be really inexpensive way for you to have an outdoor antenna. You might not even have to rotate it but if you did it would not even need a rotor motor.

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Just think of all the ammo you'll be able to afford now Jim !!! :D

9. phideaux

Yep,

At least, more reoading supplies, maybe some .22, or some 7.62X25 X39 X51 X54..:)

Sorry guys , but I just cant get into all the new sitcoms, and drama drugery, and bad rerun (1000 times) movies.
    Im even gettingtired of Pawn Stars and American Pickers.

What the heck am I paying $70/mo for?

Jim

10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

$70 a month !!!!!

HELL...that's cheap here in Philly !!

11. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Get a Google Tv adapter and add Netflix as your only pay. Watch YouTube and lots of others using the Chrome browser.

12. phideaux

Seriously guys....for movie watching ...go to Movietube.com.

Stream movies to your TV through your laptop.

I see movies (dont ask me how they do it) before they hit the theaters.

Full length and HD.

I just need something to watch other stuff.

Jim

13. phideaux

14. buster40c

Myself I would keep the money. I myself due to reading some of the lower rated reviews I wouldn't spend the money. The one review said he even called the company and they said an old style uhf/vhf antenna has more db than the cv-2. They even told him return the cv-2 and use his old antenna. Another review said when the trees got back their leaves he lost most channels.
    A friend of mine has an outdoor antenna which I am not sure what it is but I get more channels with my cheapo indoor RCA at my house and I am about 5 miles from her place. My RCA does have an amplifier as I just checked. Like I said mine has big difference in performance from room to room.
    The one indoor antenna rated number one in that link I sent said it worked well in any room location. It does have an amplifier.

15. phideaux

Yeah, darn it , I seen those low reviews...

I may just try a cheaper one first..

Jim