Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before doing any actual reloading, I am experimenting and getting familiar with my equipment.

To be specific, I am working with the powder dispenser and scale.

The first thing I noticed was just how LITTLE 4.3 grains of gunpowder is.

And that that tiny amount is enough to send a 230gr 45acp bullet out to a reportedly max distance of 500 yards.

Incredible !

Other thing I noticed was that there is so little difference in the amount to load a 9mm cartridge.

In fact, staying within the 2 tolerances, if you wanted, you could use the same amount and not have to change the metering setting.

Also it is for the 40s&w that I would have to change the setting by actually adding MORE powder (granted only a couple hundredths of grain) than I do for the 45 and the 45 being 40% heavier!

Amazing!

I am loving this all and haven't even assembled my first cartridge yet.

Doc

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
That is probably tenths of a grain. Hundredths of a grain are only theoretically repeatable.

You will note that the heavier the bullet in a specific cartridge, the less charge of a specific powder you can put behind it. It's a pressure thing.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right of course. I did mean tenths.

Yeah, figured it had to do with pressure. It is all so fascinating and scientific.

I am having a blast!

Doc

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
You get your first batch of ammo reloaded and you will think it wasn't all that involved or hard to do. At least that was my experience anyway. Ha! I was also weighing and checking OAL of each finished round as well. I would see the scale go from 194gr to sometimes 204 and whether that was due to more or less powder metering or shell weight or bullet weight or just the scale fluctuation I am not sure. I did notice a couple rounds that seemed to have had a little louder bang to them when shot.
If it wasn't for my bullet trap sitting in a low area and all this rain I would have been out there shooting more of my reloads.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Sounds like you are catching on Doc. It's not that hard if you mind your P&Q's. Establish a routine when you start out, adjust so it works for good for you, and then set that routine and keep it that way. Everybody does things in a certain way, you just have to find the way that works for you the best. You will have it down pretty quickly however, DO NOT take anything for granted! 4.3 grains of powder (depending on the powder) will send a 230grn. RN down the range about 750-800fps. And yes, 4.3 grains doesn't look like much inside the casing before seating the bullet. Keep up the good work and best of luck!!!

Tommy

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I agree with Tommy in get you a pattern that works for you and if you get distracted then stop what you are doing with that round and start your pattern all over again. That is better than having a bad KABOOM when firing the ammo.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
You guys just got a new hobby, reloading.
Soon you'll be shooting just to test out your handloads.

When I bought my first 25-06 it was only so I could reload for it. At the time I didn't have a place to hunt but I had a good place to shoot.
Every once in a while somebody would invite me to go deer hunting so that was my excuse for owning the rifle.
(Truth is I just wanted to learn about loading for bottleneck cartridges). Now I have a good caliber for anything I would want to hunt.

I still shoot the 25 a lot more than I hunt with it. Well, I would if I had the time that is. My new 25 still is in waiting...... :(

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I'm excited for you to load that first round , and shoot it, and see how it shoots.

I will be anxiously waiting to hear about it.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts