Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The migraines became so intense that I had to go and buy the LW Ruger 1911 Commander. As stated before, I felt it the other day and I got shock waves that ran through my body and it kept calling my name. So today, I took what little trading stock I have left and got the SR1911 LW Commander. Now I have the standard, Commander & LW Commander along with a box of shells included on the deal. Jim, unlike you, I have no pawn shops to shop at and I know you said you have them covered for over a thousand miles in your quest. Buster, I promise, well maybe, not to read any more magazines!! Right now I am tickled so it's time to take it apart, check it over and oil it so I can be ready for my Sunday shooting session. Trigger is a little stiffer than my present Commander however we will see how the break in works out.
Tommy:metal:

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
:camera::camera: or it dint happen...;)

Congrats Tommy on the new LW Commander.
You will love it.

In a few weeks .....that itch WILL return... gotta keep scratching it.

Oh Lord whats next..?:tiphat:

Jim

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
start shooting that thing, I need test results. old guy at the gun store says them "lumnium" guns don't last, gotta be steel. I talked to whoever answers the phone at Ruger service and she said after 20,00 rounds to send it back for a checkup. found this online-- http://www.downrange.tv/blog/in-depth-look-at-the-ruger-lightweight-commander/33247/
good luck, good shooting.
I can remember back in the early 80's Colt introduced the steel slide and aluminum frame and after extensive shooting they did have some problems. At first I had those reservations when they came out but my reasoning for purchasing one is that metallurgy has come a long ways in the last 40-50 years. CNC machines were never heard of and the aluminum alloy wasn't as strong or durable as what we have today. All I can say is I will try it and see what happens. I am confident Ruger put a lot of research into the development of the pistol before issuing to the public. I know should I have problems and inform Ruger of those problems, and with the experience I have already had with them, they will stand behind their product.
Tommy

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I can remember back in the early 80's Colt introduced the steel slide and aluminum frame and after extensive shooting they did have some problems. At first I had those reservations when they came out but my reasoning for purchasing one is that metallurgy has come a long ways in the last 40-50 years. CNC machines were never heard of and the aluminum alloy wasn't as strong or durable as what we have today. All I can say is I will try it and see what happens. I am confident Ruger put a lot of research into the development of the pistol before issuing to the public. I know should I have problems and inform Ruger of those problems, and with the experience I have already had with them, they will stand behind their product.
Tommy
I'm thinking you have nothing - metalwise - to worry about. Aluminum alloys ought to do as well as polymer, eh?

·
Registered
65 Posts
the way I get the story is that instead of pushing the cartridge across the aluminum frame to the barrel, Ruger machines that area and puts in a titanium insert that's stronger than steel. I'm not a 1911 expert, but don't some reinventions of this platform just have a barrel with ramp like a lot of other popular semi-autos? for Ruger to stay true to the original design and use the titanium insert is some genius stuff for a CNC machine to do.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
the way I get the story is that instead of pushing the cartridge across the aluminum frame to the barrel, Ruger machines that area and puts in a titanium insert that's stronger than steel. I'm not a 1911 expert, but don't some reinventions of this platform just have a barrel with ramp like a lot of other popular semi-autos? for Ruger to stay true to the original design and use the titanium insert is some genius stuff for a CNC machine to do.
Yeah, the CZ75 clones - including my Witness .45 auto - have a ramp-on-the-barrel. It does eliminate that little gap - which snags some big-hole hollow point rounds.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The migraines became so intense that I had to go and buy the LW Ruger 1911 Commander. As stated before, I felt it the other day and I got shock waves that ran through my body and it kept calling my name. So today, I took what little trading stock I have left and got the SR1911 LW Commander. Now I have the standard, Commander & LW Commander along with a box of shells included on the deal. Jim, unlike you, I have no pawn shops to shop at and I know you said you have them covered for over a thousand miles in your quest. Buster, I promise, well maybe, not to read any more magazines!! Right now I am tickled so it's time to take it apart, check it over and oil it so I can be ready for my Sunday shooting session. Trigger is a little stiffer than my present Commander however we will see how the break in works out.
Tommy:metal:
You don't suffer alone. I was in my favorite LGS today, salivating over the 5" SR1911. Sooner or later, it will join the LW.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I would laugh at you but I have been in your shoes several times. I ended up with the new gun also. Funny how we talk and validate to ourselves into buying things. I have to lmao your description of migraines and shaking all over and it calling to you. I can totally understand that you had to buy it or risk your health. LMAO

I am fairly sure you will be glad you bought the gun. If you don't like it or you see another gotta have it gun then you can sell this one .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts