Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The gas that we are forced to buy today becomes garbage in a short time. I am surprised cars get as good gas mileage as they do. If you don't drive your vehicle much then the gas mileage has to drop drastically. I know any small engine yard machine will barely even run on gas that is a month or so old. No thanks to the government for making every gallon of gas have at least 10% ethanol and very soon that percentage could be closer to 20%. Supposedly older cars will not hardly run or the engine will corrode real bad when they go to the higher ethanol % gas.
If you have a weed eater or tiller or lawnmower and it will not hardly start or it just has very little power then drain the gas and fill with fresh gas. More than likely the engine will again run better and have power again.
I have heard use higher octane gas because it supposedly will last longer before it becomes garbage corn liquid.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I use Stabil (not the red , the green) year round, it works.

Yeah its an added expense, but it makes a difference with all my mowers and outdoor equip.They run good, they start good, even after
sitting long periods of time.

It dont stay in my car and truck long enough to worry about it.

Junk gas.

Jim

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Obama has already proposed upping the ethanol in cars but I can't remember when the mandate starts. I know this, if it were up to 20 percent, you would wipe out every auto engine out there. Years ago they used to run Model A Fords on kerosene but you to get them start with gas first and then turn the switch over to kerosene. They had very little power (didn't have much to start with) and when it came to hills you were on your own if you were going uphill. With the brake system, well, you were on your own again. Model A's weren't known for having good brakes. Best have an anchor in the rumble seat with a rider to throw the anchor.
Tommy

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What is really stupid is it takes like many gallons of water and fossil fuel to make one gallon of corny ethanol. Cars have to meet more and more stringent MPG but then they make every gallon contain ethanol which has less produced power than 100% gas has.
Just when you thought government subsidies were a total waste you can read here just how stupid it is for mandatory use of ethanol in gasoline. No doubt ethanol is totally a back room deal done by lobbyists. Many wallets again get fattened totally at the expense of the public.
http://news.cornell.edu/stories/2001/08/ethanol-corn-faulted-energy-waster-scientist-says

1 - 4 of 4 Posts