Copper pin that came with gp100?

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by wingmaster, Mar 28, 2016.

1. wingmaster

wingmaster New Member

Anybody know what the copper pin that comes in a little plastic bag with my GP100 is for? Thanks for any info

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Read the manual, guy. It's in there. Hint: related to disassembly.

3. wingmaster

wingmaster New Member

I found it in some searches, I haven't shot it for a while as I wasn't happy with the cheap rear sights on it and Millett was bought out by Bushnell which I used to have nice Millett's on all my handguns in the past. Had a nice security six back then I wish I never got rid of that had some nice Millett's on and those that came on the gp100 are really cheap junk. I'm wondering if they are even made by Ruger or sourced out because usually the gun manufacturer will want top dollar for a part like that because there in the gun business not after market sight business and they only want $17.00 for a ruger rear. The front sight is cast I'm pretty sure not a clean cut milled put with clean lines which you can't find a quality one of those without spending big money for and I refuse to spend over a $100.00 for a quality front post, luckily the ruger red insert front ramp makes a big improvement at least and backordered some Bowen rear target sights.

4. Carl Crosby

Carl Crosby Member

By now, he's already figured it out, but for those who may be new to the GP 100; when you disassemble the gun, after removing the grips, you cock the hammer, and put the pin in the hole at the bottom of the hammer strut. Decock, and the pin holds the spring so you can remove the spring and strut, with a bit of finagling. Be sure to put it back the way it exited. :)