Convincing

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by conservative, Jan 7, 2017.

1. conservative

conservative New Member

I was wondering how I should go about convincing my parents on the positive roves of gun ownership. Since I live with my parents, I have discussed with them about my decision to pursue a firearms interest since I felt I needed their approval if I were to purchase a gun. They are not against the idea, but are not sold on the notion that guns are good. My mom sees no point in gun ownership and my dad is concerned with the safety aspect i.e. Keeping the gun locked up when children are present . Any advice? I am taking a class and learning more all the time, but my mom thinks I am obsessed with the idea topic when I listen to firearms related radio programs.

2. havasu

havasu In the army now..

I only have two tidbits of opinion.

1) If it's your parents house, it is their rules.

2) If kids EVER go into that house, all firearms MUST be locked up.

3. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Absolutely, a secure storage option is vital. Doesn't have to be fancy or super strong, but strong enough to keep curious little fingers away from the guns. And you would need to maintain diligence about using the storage if kids are around. "I forgot" isn't much comfort if something bad happens.

And yeah, guns tend to be a subject that pushes people's buttons. I'd get a very clear, "we're ok with guns in the house" before I did anything. I doubt any of us on RT can say how best to convince them. You know them and their personalities best so my best advice is, to keep having honest talks about it, and don't get into any arguments that might set their attitude against you. And stress that you will be responsible. Hope it goes well for you!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  4. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I would say, stress that you will be responsible and diligent about safety and secure storage. Keep having honest talks with them and try to not get into any arguments about it. A locking metal case for 1 handgun can be had for 30 or 40 bucks and is a great option that would keep any child from getting to the gun, and that might help ease any fear about safety.

5. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Some folks just don't see the need for a gun, any gun.
    I always hope they're able to live a long happy life without ever proving themselves wrong.

Before you get your own gun, maybe get your own place?

:GadsdenFlag:

6. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

If one of my kids wanted to keep a pet Rattlesnake,
    Even in a great cage,

In my house..

Well, that will not happen, they need to keep it at their place.

Not comparing a snake to a gun, just mindsets of parents.

Jim

7. gumpy

gumpy New Member

Wow Mag. I had to read your post several times. For some reason the first word kept coming out "Sorry"! Knowing you, it was freaking me out!!!

8. allenr

allenr Member

Conservative,

Here are some suggestions.

1. Explain to you mom that you are learning about the ownership and handling of guns. You read about it and you listen to it. A desire to be well informed is not fanaticism.

2. Tell your dad that when the gun is in the house or when children are in the house you will use a trigger lock so that the gun cannot be fired with the lock in place. (Those locks are relatively inexpensive).

3. Be patient and inform your parents about the facts that are distorted by the gun control groups. Facts are that most gun deaths are suicides. After that it is gang warfare and criminal activity. That is followed by murder by gun and then by neutralization of gun wielding assaulters. There is a lot of data on the Internet to back that up.

4. Explain and demonstrate that the hype over assault rifles is misleading. Any weapon used offensively is an assault weapon. It could be a gun, knife, club or fists, elbows, feet, etc. point out that difference between a military style rifle and a sports rifle with the same specifications is just design. You can demonstrate that via listings on the Ruger website.

5. Show that the major difference between those rifles is a handgrip which provides a better ergonomic grip and consequently a likelihood of greater accuracy. Why assault rifle opponents want less accurately fired assault rifles is incomprehensible

6. Ask them point blank whether they fear you are mentally incompetent to own a gun.

9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Get a Job...Move Out of your parents House...End of Problem !!!

10. conservative

conservative New Member

Have job but not the money. They don't mind my having a gun, they just don't understand why I want/need one.

11. gumpy

gumpy New Member

It does not take long watching or reading on the status of life around us to understand the need!

12. conservative

conservative New Member

Right but then as a Christian , the question would be whether it is trusting God to have a gun for protection. The Bible does not prohibit owning weapons nor protecting one's self . So then I guess the question is whether I rely on a hunk of metal for protection more than relying on God. I do not enjoyed the prospect of having to beg a criminal for the life of myself or my family.

13. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

^^^:dunno:^^^
    ST. LUKE 22:36

:GadsdenFlag:

14. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

“He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.”
    Luke‬ 22:36‬ NIV

15. uscg721

uscg721 New Member

This is an ethical and moral question Christians face - the apparent contradiction between trusting God and carrying/having a gun.

I have arrived at the place where trusting God to protect me isn’t at odds with having the tools to defend myself — not any more than having a freezer full of deer meat is at odds with trusting Him to provide my daily bread.

You ride in a hunk of metal to work everyday yet trust God to get you there safely. You sleep under the shelter of a construct of wood every night yet trust God to keep you safe from the elements. Having a firearm is no different as long as you practice the safety measures mentioned by these other gentlemen.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  16. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

God also gave some of us brains...to use...wisely.

Go stand in the middle of a busy highway, see if God will protect you...

Brains, man ....Brains.

Jim

17. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

There is no Lucifer-Satan — but there is a Primitive in all of us, telling us foolishness. God is waiting for you to come to him, but He is in no hurry. There is still time for you to be a responsible adult.

[The above is my personal opinion, not to be confused with Ruger Talk policy.]

18. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I couldn't have said it better myself..........

19. conservative

conservative New Member

Actually have stood on and beside roadways as a traffic flagger so the comment on that was humorous. I agree with what you guys are saying and have done some study on the question . My position on the matter is that I trust God , but I don't like being near defenseless. And if I had the opportunity to stop an evil act by using a gun , then I would feel guilty for not being equipped to do so. But I also am not going to be out looking for those types of encounters. So in short, just getting others opinions.

20. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

God would WANT you to protect you and yours...be confident in THAT !!

Now...I could quote you some scripture...but my Bible is upstairs on the bed stand...with my 1911a1 on top.