Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a big 9mm guy but wheel guns are more nostalgic and romantic, in a guy sort of way

My son dreams of a 44 magnum, but never shot one

So I thought a combo revolver like 9mn/357 mag was the best intro possible

Thoughts? Ruger model suggestions?

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
This one is a Lipsey's' Exclusive "Flat Top" model in SS.
The blued version is a regular cataloged "std" Ruger model and costs less $$$.

DSCN2677.JPG

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Wait a minute
Are 357 mag and 38 special compatible cartridges like 5.56/.223?
Yep,
After you get the .357 Mag convertible you can shoot .38 Spl, .357 Mag and 9mm.
How cool is that.
However, I never shoot .38's and I rarely shoot nines. So...

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
The plus for this gun is being able to shoot 9mm which is a whole lot less expensive to shoot.

Hey Mag can it shoot 9mm without using moon clips? Having to use moon clips would be a negative in my opinion. But we all know what opinions are worth. What's mine is mine and what's yours is yours neither is better than the other.

The gun being only single action only trigger is the other negative for me. I wonder is the single action trigger really light pull. Like many SA I am guessing it is.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
No moon clips.
The chamber lets the cartridge headspace on the mouth of the case and hold it in place like it does in an auto-loader.

No, the trigger was not very light. A lighter trigger return spring and some minor polishing helped.

Yes, the action of a single action revolver is a negative for SD but works well as a range toy or a hunting tool. (Fun gun).

Unfortunately there is ANOTHER problem with this thing. The 9mm brass is getting slivers 'nipped' from the mouth of the case.
The slivers keep the next cartridge you try to load from fully chambering.
I've tried factory Win white box, Win NATO, Fed HST, Hornady CD, Win silver tip, all nip.
At first I thought it might be an ammo problem in that I'm finding most all 9mm brass that I reload for auto-loaders shorter than the trim to length. (Brass from factory ammo).
Then I tried to chamber some of my handloads that have worked fine in several auto-loaders.
They will not fully chamber. To tight.
I'm thinking the chambers may be cut to small? Before I contact Ruger yet AGAIN ... I'll measure the chambers to compare against specs.
I'm in no hurry, it's just a range toy, not a SD tool... And .357's work well.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Thanks Mag for the heads up reply. Let us know what you find out.
I guess if someone wants a 9mm revolver for SD then they can go with the Ruger LCR 9mm. But it does require use of moon clips.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Anybody that ever shot .38 special in a polished up .357 mag revolver with lighter springs knows it's one of the sweetest things you can place your finger in.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I just don't understand why anybody would want to shoot 9mm out of a revolver that isn't dedicated to the caliber? If I wanted to absolutely shoot 9mm because that's all the ammo that was available I would use a semi-auto.

Try the .38 special you will like it, especially out of an overbuilt .357 mag.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just don't understand why anybody would want to shoot 9mm out of a revolver that isn't dedicated to the caliber? If I wanted to absolutely shoot 9mm because that's all the ammo that was available I would use a semi-auto.

Try the .38 special you will like it, especially out of an overbuilt .357 mag.
Some like the variety of ammo and caliber in the same gun. Make it more fun. Also the ammo for 9mm is much less expensive, $5 to $7 less than .38 & .357

1 - 20 of 29 Posts