Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since getting out of the military I found that getting some good practice in on a regular basis to be a little more difficult than it was when I was getting paid to shoot. I have some previous experience in marksmanship based shooting competitions and some fun stuff like cowboy action shooting and cowboy action fast draw, but recently I have really found the benefit in multi-gun (mostly 2 gun) and practical rifle matches as a way to get some valuable practice. Out here in AZ there are matches running every weekend with one club or another.

Anyone else on here shoot much competition?

·
Registered
685 Posts
I shoot competition here locally as much as possible.

My first competition was egg shoots. Sitll donthem but use golf balls now.

Then I got into bowling pins and plates. I particularly like pin top matches with the .22.

One of the local ranges here put on a cowboy action shoot several times a year. Tons of fun, but I'm not so good at it. Those folk are fast with a lever gun! The same range has sporting clays which I very much enjoy.

And my brothers church has an informal shoot every month. Pins, 2-gun, 3-gun, clays, even 3D archery.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I have a question. Is a lot of western style competition shooting performed by point n shoot?

I was watching an old western and Fonda was teaching a youngster about drawing a gun from a holster. He said as you go for your gun your first move as your hand goes to the gun is to be cocking the hammer so when the gun is fully drawn you only have to pull the trigger. He said if you don't do that then you will probably lose the draw. I notice that most shooting seemed to be point n shoot, especially in a draw situation.
I have been practicing PNS with my laser pistol and it surprised me how often I was right on a 4" target.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Maybe that's why I always lose!

I always do aimed fire. Slows me down maybe?

And the judging is pretty liberal too. Instructions given to me once when I was asked to judge. If you know it's a hit, it's a hit. If you think it's a hit, it's a hit. If you think it's a miss, it's a hit. Only if you know it's a miss, is it a miss.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
When you say, point and shoot are you talking about shooting from the hip or just shooting without acquiring a proper sight picture? In cowboy fast draw everyone shoots from the hip.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I just look at the targeted item not at the gun. I might be pointing the gun from shoulder but I am not sighting on the gun at all. The gun is not in front of my face. Then I pull the trigger. If I am off target, still not looking at the gun, I move accordingly to get on target.
If I am off target the first shot I am usually on target the second shot and the third is usually on target also.

A guy at a pawn shop showed me this many years ago and also a few years ago at an Gander Mountain training facility. Not till recently had I tried to PNS though.

LOL I know with a shotgun I really suck really bad at hip PNS. That dispelled the myth you only have to be aimed in general vicinity to hit your mark with a shotgun.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that type of "threat focused" shooting is very valuable, especially since that what is likely to happen if you have to use your SD gun. I will say that happens for sure in some competition shooting. Have you tried a red dot on a handgun? The biggest benefit of having a dot on your pistol is that you can threat focus on the target and just superimpose the dot.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I have Crimson Trace red dot laser grips on my 1911 but during the daytime or bright light it doesn't show up very well on a target from a 10 yard distance. Perhaps because the dot is so small also.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I should have been more specific. I meant a red dot sight like this.
IMG_1120.jpg

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I do have a red dot sight like that also. It actually works much better than the laser sight does. It is on my Ruger MKIV when I do use it. For storage among other reasons I seldom leave it on a gun.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Point 'N' Shoot. (At arms length, not from the hip).
The only way I practice with any SD handgun. If I can hit center of mass at 50 ft, that's all I need.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts