Compact RAP

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by greg_r, Nov 26, 2016.

1. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Took the Compact RAP to the range today. Put about I don't know how many rounds through it, bit it was a gallon zip lock bag about 1/2 full.

Had a few failures to return to battery the first few mags, but it cleared up. Shot a couple of bad guy targets at 10 and 25 yards, plus an IDPA target rapid fire at 25 yards. The rest were on the plates and target tree. Pretty satisfied with it and the LCP II I bought with it.

2. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I thought you had to wait till Christmas?

3. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Hey greg,

Muy buena pistolas. Looked at the compact RAP at a gunshow recently. Thought about getting an LCP, but already have the LC9s. Kinda stuck in the middle of those with the LC9s. It ain't much bigger than the LCP. And the recently aquired Shield isn't much bigger. Still I can always use another Ruger.

Did ya get rid of your TCPnow that you have the LCP II?

Ain't seen ya much on the other forum. Gets a little slow at times.

4. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

SWMBO decided each of us got to open one gift Friday. Guess what I chose?

5. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

No, I still have the TCP, kind of hard to get rid of something that has been so reliable. Plus it's a Taurus, dosent really have any resell value. I would be lucky to get $150 for it even though it's the BSS model. I still have the Taurus PT809 too.

Actually, I'm still carrying the Kahrs, and the LCRX, depending on my needs. They are, IMHO, the perfect carry guns, except for capacity, which is one of the reasons I went with the RAP Compact, nearly double the round count even with the smaller magazine, remember the post I made on the other forum about the experience I had? Don't want to get into it here, but it changed me. I now subscribe to the "I wish I didn't have as much ammo said no one ever" group.

I go to the other forum daily, don't post there much anymore. It's a shame really, as I like the folks there as well as the firearms, or at least my token example of! Honestly though, it's more of the same here, just not as bad. I am here daily too, like this forum, and hey, I am a Ruger fanboy, but it's hard to stir up a conversation.

6. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

There are two mutually exclusive characteristics of members here: rambling and taciturn. After you ramble on with Tommy and Buster, you are left with us taciturns.

7. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Tommy and Buster are certainly the easiest to get to talking!

8. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

[
    [/QUOTE]

I hope this is a compliment and not a leg puller. Yes I am on everyday but mainly to monitor Buster, Magum, Spike, Savage and VT. Those are the devious ones and I manage to somehow quell them down. But in all honesty, and in fairnous they are all great guys and many on here are. Shooter doesn't talk much but when he does, he is well worth listening to and Jim and Tango will keep us in line. Yes we do a lot of leg pulling but you have to remember that it's all in fun and I feel that's what makes this forum the most interesting.

Tommy

9. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Bob,

Where did you learn that fancy word "tactiturn"? Is that something that Buster and Jerry are trying to teach you?:rayoff:

Tommy

10. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

^^^ I thought "taciturn" was some kind of new combat maneuver. Apparently I need to keep the dictionary handy...

11. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Remember "High Noon'? The marshal was taciturn.

12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

You (and apparently Tommy) are reading 'taciturn' and seeing 'tactic' in it. The word is pronounced as if it were spelled 'tassiturn'. If you hear that in your head when you see the word, it gets less tactical.

13. spikedriver

^^^ Haaahahaha! I know quite well what it means. (I don't admit it much but I actually am an educated man. 4th grade was the best 3 years of my life.) I need to figure out how to use a special leg yanking font so people will know when I'm full of...stuff!

14. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

:D

I guessed as much, Spike. Leg pulling can go on and on, you see. I may not be expert, but I am persistent.

15. RedSoxRugers

RedSoxRugers Member

I'm waiting to handle a RAP Compact.

My full-sized RAP 9 was a bit big for a 9mm, and the trigger was ho-hum
    and a bit flat for my fingers.

Hope they worked on the trigger when they shrunk the RAP.

Let me know how yours are shooting?

Also, do you think the LC9-S Pro or the regular LC9 with
    it's long DAO pull is better for a beginner?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  16. spikedriver

I was Christmas Shopping at Bass Pro a couple weeks ago. For some reason my cart wouldn't push straight and the wheels kept turning toward the gun case, leaving me no choice but to follow their path. While snooping around said gun case I got the bright idea to compare the SR9c, the RAPc, and the S&W M&P9c all at once. I was really disappointed in the RAPc. The grip felt awkward, it pointed poorly, and I had to turn the gun sideways in my hand to reach the mag release with my thumb. (I have short thumbs...) The SR seemed to be much more ergonomically sound and a little lighter although probably not enough to make a difference. TBH the Smith was the clear winner for ergonomics and was much more "pointable" for me than the Rugers. But it was also 100 bucks more, and I don't think it's worth 100 more than the SR9c.

17. spikedriver

Red Sox - unless you are experienced with DA revolvers, I'd say get the LC9s. The trigger is much easier to handle. I have owned both. I was used to DA guns so it wasn't that big a deal for me to use the long trigger on the LC9. But it was hard to shoot accurately and double taps were an exercise in futility. I traded it for the 9s and haven't looked back. I will say, my personal opinion is that the Pro model isn't best for a beginner. I would start with a gun that has a safety. I am guessing that not everyone here will agree with me about that though.

18. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I have shot the RAP and the LCP II extensively over the last couple of months. I have become very fond of them both.

They both have pretty much the same trigger, except the RAPc's trigger is much lighter. It's very much like the trigger on my 1911, except it has a bit of takeup. Every one who has shot either of the Rugers has commented on their triggers, all like them, but a few have said the trigger on the RAPc is too light for their taste in a carry gun.

Both of them are accurate. I like shooting the LCP II at the plates at the 25 yard line at the range. I am able to ring them more often than not. It's fun to show off with the little 380! The RAPc is more of the same, just easier. It's one of the more accurate handguns I own, probably the most accurate semi automatic. I need to shoot it head to head with my 1911. It will be close!

As to the LC9 vs the LC9s Pro. I would personally choose the LC9s Pro. Even though I shoot a DA revolver often, I normally thumb cock them, just like the SA trigger. I never could like the trigger on the LC9 or the LCP. Actually, my preference in a DAO is either LCR or the Kahr. I have a LCRX and 2 Kahrs, the CT380 and the CW45. The DAO triggers on the Kahrs are wonderful, as is the DAO trigger on (are you ready for this) on my Taurus TCP. Matter of fact, my favorite carry guns are the LCRX and the Kahr. They are very light and you can actually forget you have them on!

I have just ordered holsters for the RAPc and the LCP II. They should be here about the middle of January.

19. allenr

allenr Member

Having owned an Lc9 and now having an LC9s, I can say without doubt you want the LC9s. It is much easier to shoot than the Lc9. The choice between the s and sPro is arguable, and there have been several threads here over time with advocates for each. I got the LC9s because I wanted a safety. I recently posted two links to videos showing people shooting themselves due to the lack of a safety. I'll see if I can find that thread.

This is the URL of the thread I mentioned above:

https://www.rugertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6018

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  20. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Thanks Allen, I missed that post before. Looks like in the second video, his gun hung up in the holster some, and his trigger finger got ahead of itself in the draw&present process. Not sure if a safety would have helped a lot, that step could get ahead of schedule too.