Ruger Talk Forums banner

Community Feedback: New Forum Software Is Live!

5K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  MagBlackhawk 
#1 ·
We are excited to announce that we are live on our new forum platform!

It’s been a long time coming. Let’s face it. Sometimes older forum technology lags behind other parts of the internet. Although seeing the same format for a long time is comforting, the member experience shouldn’t include dealing with outdated, unsafe, slow software.

The transition to a new platform will never be 100% smooth but the days of dealing with out of date forum software are over. We have teams dedicated to building a world-class community for you. The development has been steady with regular software releases since May 2019. Asking members for feedback and coming up with ideas for improvement is what we want.

Speed and Reliability Are Key
No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

New Homepage Experience
Our algorithm will serve a personal customized feed based on your prior engagement with content on the site. If you’ve liked and or commented, or are following certain topics that are of interest to you, similar content will appear at the top of the homepage.

Search
We have introduced new search algorithms, powered by an industry-leading AI platform, to help you find information faster. We plan to roll out new features to continue improving search, and to power many additional areas of the forum.

Due to the volume of content, our search platform may take some time to complete indexing over the first few days after migrating. During this process, you may see a limited number of posts until indexing has been completed. We appreciate your patience.

Finding Your Way Around
We have made the design clean and simple to use. Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts. On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics.

Clicking the list icon next to “NEW” will bring you to the full forum listing.

Clicking your avatar will give you a drop-down menu for all things related to your account.

You can also navigate more by clicking the 3 vertical dots.

Dark Mode
We have introduced Dark Mode. One of our favorite features allows you to access the site with a power-saving, and easier on the eyes dark mode. You can access it in the drop-down menu under the 3 vertical dots.

Save Bookmarks
Now you can save your favorite discussion threads and posts! Bookmarks are a handy way to remember and easily find great content or stuff you want to read later.

We also wanted to make it easier for new users to understand the lingo of forums. We have cleaned up various language to more commonly recognized phrases including:
  • Following - Thread subscriptions, and Watched are now known as Following
  • Conversations - Private Messages or PMs are now conversations and can be accessed from the user avatar drop-down in the main navigation
  • Showcase - Showcase is designed for users to "showcase" items/projects through the use of uploaded images, text descriptions and custom content categories. It’s a way to visually and textually provide detailed information on the content you wish to share. The showcase would be similar to a catalog, whereas the gallery would be like a photo album. It can be accessed from the drop-down menu with the 3 dots.
Take a tour and look around! Check out the Help section for some quick FAQs about the new platform.

Please keep all feedback, questions, concerns, requests for help, etc. regarding the new platform right here in this Feedback thread. This will help us make sure not to miss a request for help and also let us pass along your thoughts to our Product team. The Admins and I will be here to help along the way taking note of your comments.

- Community Support

See less See more
#2 ·
Very modern looking, I'm glad it's still around. Might take a little while to get the new flavor down but I'm not afraid to try something new if it's worth it and Ruger Talk is a good gun forum, occasional a--holes but for the most part good people.

Thanks Ruger Talk ..

#3 · (Edited)
Very nice. The XenForo forum platform is widely becoming the norm for firearm related discussion forums, which although different from previous formats is actually more user friendly and easy to use.

*Edited to add: be sure to visit your Account Details (in the upper right hand corner of the webpage just to the left of the 3 vertical dots) where you can set your level of Privacy, select your Preferences, hide your Birthdate, create a Signature, etc.

#5 ·
Thank You I like the new platform , Looking Good Just like RUGER FIREARMS ! Now if you could remove ban members posts it would be nice and save bandwidth .

Reactions: RTAdmin
#12 ·
Let's hope he doesn't turn into a pseudo pimp using gun forums to promote crap. (hint hint) The kick-backs must be buying the ammo, who knows maybe paying the car note. A lot of post that say very little. Another warrior living off past memories.
Yet you continue to violate the TOS of this web site you continue to degrade and disparage veterans and others who don't agree with you .

Reactions: 0311
#7 ·
'LT, gaps already exist in threads throughout this website/forum because of those who make their way onto ones "Ignore" list.

I would tend to believe that if a member was banned from RugerTalk that they were banned for good reason, for violating the forum's Terms of Service policies, so why must these individuals be "rewarded" by allowing their unacceptable commentary/behaviour to remain amongst the commentary of those members who are mature enough to conduct themselves in a helpful, respectful, and civil manner?

Noone is so omnipotent that the information they provide isn't available someplace else...

#16 ·
AMEN BROTHER , HAPPINESS IS THE PLEASURE ,PASSION & PURPOSE OF JESUS CHRIST !

#17 ·
Please keep all feedback, questions, concerns, requests for help, etc. regarding the new platform right here in this Feedback thread.
Does this new format mean you will now have moderators on duty that will actually be moderating?
I have seen name calling, insults and more go unchecked over the last few months and even years.
I've seen at least one new member say he will not come back because of the name calling and insults that occurred in a thread that he started. These days I rarely stop in because of the unchecked trolls. I hope to see a new look in this new look.

Check you later,
Mag

#18 ·
These days I rarely stop in because of the unchecked trolls. I hope to see a new look in this new look.

The mods are here, however this forum is a chance at redemption because the truth is we are here because we are rejects banned from most other gun forums. The real danger are the 'clicks' you will see on those other gun forums and without mentioning any names (hint hint) we can see it here.

The tag teams who try to sway the moderators to get people banned because they are so easily offended, which in layman term means people for the most part who are full of sht to begin with.

RugerTalk is in fact the only honest gun forum out here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.