Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I don't know if it will help you to think of that pounds spec as 'pressure without considering area' with the spring fully compressed. For practical purposes, it is compressed length that should interest you anyway - and only if you are planning to substitute a 'non-standard' spring. If you are hoping to check your current spring for weakening, I can tell you how to measure its 'power' using a kitchen scale (or a postage scale if it is of enough range).

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, yes, that makes.

That is indeed what I want to do, I have a Llalma 1911 that needs a recoil spring and I see now I can't go by relaxed length,

How can I measure its compressed length?

Doc

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Ah, yes, that makes.

That is indeed what I want to do, I have a Llalma 1911 that needs a recoil spring and I see now I can't go by relaxed length,

How can I measure its compressed length?

Doc
Unless you have already determined that it just ain't so that the Llama spring is 'standard' steel slide 1911 of the version Llama copies, maybe you should get one of those first. Wolff Gunsprings (they have an Internet address) will be happy to sell you one, or several in a range of strengths. They aren't expensive.

Anyway, you can measure a spring's compressed length by compressing it in a vise, then measuring the distance between the vise's jaws. The problem doing that with a long spring is keeping it from bending and then going 'sprong'. You can make a tube from cardboard to handle that, trimming it to less than the spring's compressed length (determined by trial). you can use a dowel to push the spring into the tube. When you measure the jaw gap, subtract the length of the dowel.

You can also use dial calipers instead of the vise, but it's hard on the calipers if the spring is at all stiff (this spring is).

I'm not sure what you can do with that measurement, but anyway...

I have a set of recoil springs for a full length 1911 that I'd be happy to send you, but they won't do for a Commander.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the situation.

The spring in the Llama is the same diameter as my other 1911, but a couple inches shorter at 12 centimeters relaxed length.

It feels like the spring is way too light for a 45. I can easily get the cap off and I get jams. So I was thinking the spring has worn.

Wolff has the spring for only one model Llama that I don't have. So I am looking to substitute.

The Llama is 5" barrel, but shorter spring. What could happen if I use the springs you send and they are too long? Is there any damage to occur? or just jamming?

Doc

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Here is the situation.

The spring in the Llama is the same diameter as my other 1911, but a couple inches shorter at 12 centimeters relaxed length.

It feels like the spring is way too light for a 45. I can easily get the cap off and I get jams. So I was thinking the spring has worn.

Wolff has the spring for only one model Llama that I don't have. So I am looking to substitute.

The Llama is 5" barrel, but shorter spring. What could happen if I use the springs you send and they are too long? Is there any damage to occur? or just jamming?

Doc
Hmm. Is the Llama a 1911 copy, or is it a Browning Hi-Power copy instead? I don't think it's a CZ-75 copy. Now I understand why you are thinking about a substitute. My springs are too long as is. Not sure how you could determine which one to cut. I suppose you could measure the wire diameter with a micrometer, and give me that info. Then I could send you the spring with a similar wire diameter (if I have one), and you can cut it a little longer than your old spring. Couldn't hurt, eh?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's the 1911 series 70 set up, with just 2 structural differences. The rear sight comes off to get to the firing pin and external extractor. Other differences are for example the recoil spring length, no detent at bottom of msh, as well as several other things.

Ok, wire diameter is .03 inches.

Doc

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
It's the 1911 series 70 set up, with just 2 structural differences. The rear sight comes off to get to the firing pin and external extractor. Other differences are for example the recoil spring length, no detent at bottom of msh, as well as several other things.

Ok, wire diameter is .03 inches.

Doc
OK, I will do the measuring and mailing tomorrow. BTW the stack-up for a closely wound coil spring ain't much. Before you cut the spring, you could install it and see if the gun will still go into battery. If it does, try firing it.

I think I will send you all of the springs; they ain't doing me any good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts