Cleaning primer wells when reloading

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Tommycourt, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I am just wondering, if any besides myself, cleans out the primer pockets prior to reloading. My Dillon Square D does not have a port to clean the primer wells, it just resizes and deprimes. As for myself, and since I have a single stage reloader, after resizing, I clean ALL my primers wells. I have seen a lot of rounds with "soot" built up inside the primer wells and some of them are not reloads. I guess it depends on which powder the manufacturer is using to determine on whether to clean or not. Do any of you have reservations about using shells without cleaning them first or have you thought about it. I am just curious as it takes me quite a while to load up 100 rounds of .45 cal. Would love to hear some responses and what kind of reloaders you have.

Tommy

2. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Tommy,
    When I'm working out a new load I clean the primer pockets and the flash hole as a way to keep any variables to a minimum.
    After I'm sure of the load I never clean the primer pocket again, never had an inconsistent ignition.
    I will do a visual inspection to be sure no polishing media has found it's way into the primer pocket/flash hole.

Bench rest rifle shooters do much more than just clean the pockets so I clean the primer pockets on my rifle loads hoping for the best accuracy.
    Never tried not cleaning them for my rifle loads to see if accuracy suffers.

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I clean 'em. Takes less than 5 seconds per, so what the hey.

4. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

Tumble them, check them, clean if needed.

5. RavenU

RavenU In the army now..

You can also get yourself an RCBS, 'Case Prep Center' to speed things along. That's what I used to do; and, yes, I always, 'dusted out' my primer pockets.

6. thumbuster

thumbuster New Member

I give em a quick turn with a Lyman primer pocket cleaner after depriming.

7. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Gunslinger,

Are you hand loading such as myself? On my progressive I deprime and resize at the #1 station so I have no idea of how clean the primer pocket is unless after to move it to station #2, then I would have to pull the round out, re-insert and then prime and drop my powder in station #2.

Tommy

8. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

I deprime through a single stage press first.