Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a high capacity semi auto with a 5" or 6" barrel. The catch is I don't want to spend an arm and a leg but I still want something known for being pretty accurate as well as dependable. I would like some input from ya'll. It doesn't have to be new as long as it is in very good condition. I really don't want a 1911 and not thrilled about Glocks either. I am not ragging on them I just don't want one. I am thinking less than $400 range.
LOL I know I might well be needing a magic genie.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That Taurus has only a 3.2" barrel. Springfields are good guns but they cost a bit more than I want to spend unless I could find an inexpensive used gun. Glocks are good but I really don't care for them. I had a G27 for maybe 4 months before selling it. I wasn't impressed with anything about it. My biggest problem is going to be finding a gun with 5" or 6" barrel in semi auto other than a 1911.
Thanks for the input as that could be a big help.

·
Banned
475 Posts
I think your right about the magic genie........................................................used, you could probably find a Beretta 92/96.........................................................S&W M&P...........S&W SVE..........Walther P99..........Sigs....................... I've got a Beretta 96 and it's on the top of my list in firearms. Check out the Kahr line................................

·
Special Dance Instructor
924 Posts
You didn't say what the main use of the pistol would be.
Home and self protection and maybe target shooting I'll guess.
My suggestion would be to take a little time and save up enough to get a new dependable unused gun and by doing a little searching you can get one at a reasonable price.
I can attest to having both a Sig 226 MK25 9mm and a Sig P320 and the latter you can convert from 9mm to either .40 or 357 by buying a conversion kit so you would have 3 different calibers and the quality of a Sig Sauer is well known..
JMO

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The gun would be used as a backup to my Sig P226 for home and self protection as well as fun target shooting.
I got a deal on my P226 for only around $350 total. I would like to find another good buy like that. I had two 9 mm S&W pistols I sold. One was a S&W model 59 that was probably 95%. I should have kept that one but I had also read that the model 59 did have some problems.
Well the search is on for who knows what. I probably will be buying a used gun. I think I would like a Beretta 92FS.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I suspect that thar barrel length is not realistic for a semiauto 9. You can get a new Tanfoglio Witness hi-cap 9 with a 4.5" barrel or a hi-cap Grand Power K-100 with a 4.2" barrel in that price range, both reliable, well-made guns (the GP has a better DA trigger) - or a Ruger revolver that will handle 9mm and has the barrel length but not the hi-cap - or the price. Or some semiauto Rugers that ain't got the price or the barrel length. I'm thinking those are your choices, Buster. Well, Hi-Point may have something that fits both the hi-cap (if 10 is OK) and barrel length - but those are 'truck guns' ain't they? I'm talking new gun here; used guns can be a crap shoot.

·
Banned
90 Posts
The Glock Model 19 has a 4.02 inch barrel. They've also got those new BTF extractors in them, too. I like my G-19; but the MIM extractor has caused me a lot of trouble - Trouble that's taken me a long time (years, actually) to finally resolve. This is the Ruger Forum; so how about a nice SR9! My G-19, also, has a 5 1/2 inch Bar-Sto Precision barrel in it; and, for a fact, it is very accurate - Better than me, actually! At 10-12 yards I can put everything into a clean 1-1 1/2 inch diameter hole.

Maybe someday I'll get used to the high bore axis on Springfield XD's; but I doubt I'll ever recommend them. Your SIG P226 is a sweet pistol; but, again, the barrel is only 4.4 inches. I understand money is an issue; but, why not simply get another one and keep it forever! (This time with a DAK short reset trigger.) :)

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I searched the Star and I think not for me. Some are possible jamamatics on other than ball ammo.
I am leaning towards a Taurus PT92. I have never been a big fan of Taurus guns, except my two Rossi snubs I really like, but after reading the reviews I believe I am going to go for the PT92. It is a clone to the Beretta 92fs. I see Bud's has one for $378 new so I pretty much have given up on finding a used 5" gun. New with lifetime warranty from Taurus. Actually I haven't seen a bad review on this gun. LOL Watch as soon as I buy one I will se a negative review. I guess I will research that now instead of later.
Any comments on the Taurus PT-92?

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I done did it! Delivered to my FFL for $383 brand new lifetime warranty. What I found is many of the used guns were darn near as much as a new one so done deal now.
I just got $240 for my shotgun so it isn't much more out of bank to get this gun.
Ha! I still got it! The addiction that is. This will be my last gun purchase. LMAO.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
I done did it! Delivered to my FFL for $383 brand new lifetime warranty. What I found is many of the used guns were darn near as much as a new one so done deal now.
I just got $240 for my shotgun so it isn't much more out of bank to get this gun.
Ha! I still got it! The addiction that is. This will be my last gun purchase. LMAO.
A friend of mine has a Taurus 92. It runs well and works every time.
And the safety is in the correct place unlike the Beretta 92. Not that a safety is even needed on a DA/SA pistol IMHO.

If I'm not mistaken, Taurus bought the machinery from Beretta to make their own version of the 92 pistol.
Pic's man we need pic's. :D

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just read that about Taurus buying up an old Berretta factory with all the tools.
Pics will come when I get it. Probably not till next week is when I am guessing it will show up at FFL.
I used to have a Beretta 84f which is basically the cheetah version of the 92FS. I am going to have fun seeing which I shoot better, the P226 or this 92.

·
Banned
90 Posts
Back in 2005 - 2006, and just for the pure love of the sport, I took a part-time job, working weekends, in a very busy gun store. It didn't take too long for me to notice that the one brand of firearm returned for warranty service the most frequently was, ....... Taurus.

After the first several customers came back to the store to complain, I decided to, 'make the smart move' and simply stayed away from that section of the handgun display case where the Taurus pistols were laid out. I stopped selling them to people; and I have never regretted the decision.

A new Glock pistol can give a new Glock owner a lot of problems too; but, at least with a Glock, if you can get your hands on the right parts then you can fix it yourself, and don't have to wait 6 to 9 months for a factory that often won't even answer the phone to finally return your, 'repaired' pistol to you.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Back in 2005 - 2006, and just for the pure love of the sport, I took a part-time job, working weekends, in a very busy gun store. It didn't take too long for me to notice that the one brand of firearm returned for warranty service the most frequently was, ....... Taurus.

After the first several customers came back to the store to complain, I decided to, 'make the smart move' and simply stayed away from that section of the handgun display case where the Taurus pistols were laid out. I stopped selling them to people; and I have never regretted the decision.

A new Glock pistol can give a new Glock owner a lot of problems too; but, at least with a Glock, if you can get your hands on the right parts then you can fix it yourself, and don't have to wait 6 to 9 months for a factory that often won't even answer the phone to finally return your, 'repaired' pistol to you.
Have never owned a Taurus, though some of the bigger revolvers are interesting. I can't quite understand the apparent state of Taurus' QC department, its policies or procedures. Maybe they don't have a QC department? Reminds me of Detroit cars in the '70s, that supposedly came off the assembly lines on Mondays and Fridays. Does Taurus have a similar 'bad day'?

·
Banned
475 Posts
I just read that about Taurus buying up an old Berretta factory with all the tools.
Pics will come when I get it. Probably not till next week is when I am guessing it will show up at FFL.
I used to have a Beretta 84f which is basically the cheetah version of the 92FS. I am going to have fun seeing which I shoot better, the P226 or this 92.
It's probably the ONLY Taurus I would think about buying. A Beretta copy for sure, that's why they work........................their other semi firearms, not so much.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I hear all the slap on Taurus being a hit or miss gun. I have to say when I checked for complaints or bad reviews on the Taurus 92 I did not find anything but good reviews.
I did just read of a class action law suit against Taurus on several models for the gun still able to fire with the safety on. Thousands of guns being recalled. I didn't see the 92 listed as one of the problem child models. The class action law suit settlement was humongous. Supposedly owners of the problem guns will be notified for repairs or replacements.
I even read several reviews giving positive ratings on Taurus service and warranty work. Perhaps Taurus has come a long way in customer service since 2006.
I hope I have a great experience with this gun instead of having bought a junkamatic. I will let you all know my real time honest experience with it.
I have to say my experience with Rossi 38 spl revolvers has been great in spite of the negative reviews of Rossi guns. They are made tight and surprisingly accurate for little snubs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My only advise per experience is stay away from Diamond Back Firearms, even if they do make a NEW FULL SIZE 9MM, the DB9 I bought fell apart just after 60 rounds of Blazer Brass 115gr. I sent it in for warrenty repair or replacement and was told it would take 8-10 weeks. I called at 9 weeks, it hadn't even been evaluated and was told it would take 10-12 weeks, later I was told there is no specific time frame. Week 11, I sent an 11 page fax containing all the conversations via e-mails demanding a replacment. I was called by the Customer Care Supervisor and was told she requested it be moved to "head of the line" and it would be "resolved" in 10-15 days. If it takes 15 working days, that will mean they have had it for 13 weeks, 11 of which it just sat there, waiting to be evaluated. You get what you pay for!

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
A guy I know bought a Taurus, I think it was called the 24/7.
It had a problem of some sort, can't remember what right now. Not going into battery or FTF's maybe. Don't know, anyway.................
Back to the factory, turn around time was about two weeks as I recall.

He's the same friend that has a problem free Taurus 92 that he loves.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts