Cheap fix for sights on 1911 Rugers

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Tommycourt, May 16, 2015.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

On my full size SR1911 and my Commander the sights seem to be getting a little dim from what they used to be. On my Colt Commander (built in 1975) and with military sights, it's black on black and it hard to hit a black target at the range. Today I tried something to repair the sights. I went to our local Wal-Greens and picked up some liquid paper (the kind they used to use to wipe out typewriter mistakes and redo the paper) and got a tube of that. The tubes come out in a nozzle on it like super glue does and I used that to lighten my sights. It just so happens that the tip of the nozzle exactly fits the sights on my Rugers. I put it on and let it dry 3 times and can see they look a lot better. I don't know how long it will last but at $2.50 a tube, if they last a month that's better than changing out sights. Another thing I would like to know, has anyone changed out their sights on a Ruger and if so, what sights did you use or what sights would you recommend??? I know I don't want the fiber optics but would like other opinions about your likes or dislikes. I am going to try it on my Colt Commander and see how it works on military sights.
    Tommy

2. hodge

hodge New Member

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I agree with hodge in that Glow ON paint works really well. I got mine right from Glow On for less than $10 for the little bottle which lasts a long time because it takes so little on sights. I have had it pop off on my LCR 357 and my Kimber .45, but then again I just apply a toothpick size drop of Glow On again.
    This stuff is fluorescent and IMO it is good stuff. I got some of their tape and put it on my flashlight and cell phone so I always can see where they are at during the night.
    I think RTF should contact them as a sponsor merchant. I found them on another gun talk forum.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lXixhA6Kds&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I have used the glow paint, still do.

I have used a tooth pick to apply it, works great.

I also like the Hi Viz fiber optic sights on some guns.

My old eyes need all the help they can get.

Jim

5. brushunter

brushunter New Member

I used a glow type paint on a Mini-14 some years ago....it yellowed after a short time. Didn't like it at all. Perhaps this particular stuff that buster40c is talking about is different. May work well. TommyCourt , I know you said you didn't want fiber optics , but I had Springfield put them on my Rnge Officer ( green ), It really made a difference. I like them. Now I've got the green fiber optic on a GP-100 , and my SP came with them. I'm hooked on the fiber optic sight. BTW , I'm probably older than a lot of folks out there ....my eyes need all the help they can get.:D

You might try a gold dot , lot of people like them.

regards , brushunter

6. hodge

hodge New Member

I've had the Glow-On on a number of my weapons for more than a year, and it hasn't yellowed or popped off.
    Once applied and dried, if you put a drop of clear nail polish over it, it will protect it and keep it from coming off.

7. buster40c

Here is a related glow-on story.
    A friend of mine bought a used SUV and the headlight lens has a small hole which was letting moisture inside the light assy. I said just use some clear nail polish to cover the hole. She said she didn't have any and I said I did. She said what the heck do you have clear nail polish for. I think she believed me when I told her I use it for protecting Glow-On paint on my gun sights.

8. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Bright sights?

When fully charged, is glow-on paint applied to the sights so bright that it could effect your night vision in total darkness? I'm concerned that it could be a distraction or blinding in complete darkness when it's fully charged.
    Have used tritium night sights before and was well pleased with them. But the sights can"t be changed on my current application.

9. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Magnum,
    Jim said he used a toothpick to apply some of that paint to his guns and he thinks it works well. I can only tell you this: I talked to a gunsmith last week and was asking about sights. I explained that back in the 60's(military training) every one of our lights were red so your eyes wouldn't get out of focus and your pupils dilate. He said that green were the easiest to pick up focus with and the green won't mess up your night vision. I have only had one chance to look at some green sights and Glockmeister put me in a closet and shut the door and I had no trouble seeing the sights but it was only for a few seconds. I am going to look into that paint that Jim was talking about. Found it online for about $13.00 per bottle. Something to ponder on.
    Tommy

10. hodge

hodge New Member

Not in my experience. I have Sig pistols with tritium night sights, and some with the applied paint. They both, when the glow-on is charged, have about the same luminesience. The Glow-On glows very nicely, but it isn't bright enough to effect my night vision.

11. brushunter

brushunter New Member

Wow , quick thinking ....good thing she didn't see the nylons ..........:)

12. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

hodge,
    Thanks for the reply. Glad to know the tritium and the glow-on work about the same in the dark. Having used tritium sights in the past, looks like the glow-on paint will be what I need.
    Magnum.

13. buster40c

The Glow-ON is not in any way blinding at night. I will say that looking directly into a bright light or sunlight the Glow-On looks almost invisible or even black. If you are outside in the direct sunlight and then walk indoors to a usual daytime lit room the sights will be illuminated giving a very beneficial sight picture.
    If she says anything about nylons I am not going to answer. LOL

14. hodge

hodge New Member

What's kind of cool is that you can use the Glow-On for other things, like a light switch, etc.