Cell phones in your loading area

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tommycourt, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

From my understanding the new cell phones are posing a threat to the airlines and other places. They seem to ignite instantly without reason. I also read an article (from which I can't remember) that stated that cell phones put out static electricity. That includes the old flip phones of which I have. I know lithium batteries are prone to ignite, or so say the airlines. Normally I have my cell phone in my pocket or near my loading bench. Only time I won't answer it is when I am pouring powder. Is there any validity to what I am hearing or thinking?

Tommy

2. allenr

allenr Member

I have looked into the cell phone dangers in general not specifically in regard to ammo loading.

It is a fact, as recent news reports indicate, lithium batteries can combust. That is not a new phenomenon. However the incidence of that is very rare, and battery overheating is very recognizable to the aware user. If your phone gets uncomfortably hot yo hold it is telling you something.

Cell phones rely on microwave transmission which is not considered an incendiary catalyst unless the microwaves are contained as in a microwave oven. So one should not load ammo or store ammo in a microwave.

That said, consider this. If your phone gets to hot to hold in your hand you need a different phone not a rule to exclude your phone from a loading area. Radio waves can set off blasting caps, but loading ammo is not rigging explosives with blasting caps.

You might want to direct an inquiry to the companies that make reloading supplies like powder and percussion caps. I bet that they have the data you seek.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

^ ^ allenr covers it. Tommy, please make that a phone call. And how I wish I could kibitz on it.

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

So I shouldn't put my powder in the microwave to dry it out? I didn't see that in the microwave warnings. LOL Do not try this at home.

5. allenr

allenr Member

Buster,

It's OK to dry out your powder in the microwave. Here is how you do it.

Set up power cords and microwave in an open field and have help to secure the area to keep people away.

Put powder in microwave and put on flack gear.

Set timer to start microwave.

Start timer and wait for the finale.

Surrender to the police when they arrive and arrest you.

Defend yourself by telling the judge that the microwave had no warning about not drying out gun powder in it.

You then get off and are free to sue the microwave maker and seller for emotional distress.

Need a partner? I have a spare microwave. You have the powder. Anyone have a field?

6. buster40c

I repeat don't try this at home or in the neighborhood for that matter. That's funny and I wonder if someone will try it now.

7. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I'm guessing that the gunpowder loose in the microwave will go 'foof' (whuff?), not bang, with more smoke than you'd expect. You could do that in your kitchen if The Little Woman ain't around.

8. buster40c

Let's try it in your kitchen then. Better yet you just report what happened.

9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Next time I fail to keep my powder dry.

10. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Hey Buster,

When you do that, would you please make sure you do a video. Like Savage says: if you don't have any pictures, it didn't happen". And I want pictures!!!!!! Allen deserves a cut of what you get in your law suit against a microwave company and the rest of us will get a good hard tummy laugh!!!!

YANK***************************************YANK*********************YANK!!!!!!!!!!:cryinglaugh::cheesy::spot::thankyou:

Tommy

You gotta admit---------Allen is a gooooood yanker!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  11. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

^ ^ ^ Now that right there is funny, don't care who you are. :cheesy:
    But it did get me to thinking. Would a microwave oven ignite gun powder?

Our microwave just gave up, we need a new one. The new one will come with a warranty so........

:GadsdenFlag:

12. allenr

allenr Member

Well the gun community has its share of idiots but if they follow my instructions in detail no one will get hurt.

They may get arrested but that would be because they were/are idiots.

13. allenr

allenr Member

Let me know the date, time and location for your experiment so I can be somewhere else.

I did read that if you wrap yourself in layers of aluminum foil you are not susceptible to microwave radiation but it will not protect you from the blast. That fixes half the danger. The other half is fixed by a large life insurance policy.

14. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I was thinking, just a pinch of powder and a LONG extension cord.
    Kinda like plug N play. :rayoff: My guess is that it would burn and not blow.

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME. :duck: We're just kidding here.....

15. buster40c

You know when you tell someone don't do this that is just like a double dare you to some people.
    I worked with a young guy that did the dry ice and water in a ltr bottle. He said it was one hell of a KABOOOOM. Brought everyone out of their houses.

16. buster40c

Somehow I think I might not be around afterward to file a lawsuit. That's why I will wait for VT to report on it.

17. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Are you assuming that I frequently fail to keep my powder dry?

Once upon a time I drank some wine, and later peed into a bottle. I used the urine while stodging back powder. The old Encyclopedia Britannica had a recipe that included 'the urine of a wine drinker'.

That's the last time my powder has not been dry.

18. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Hmmmm, I have been known to try unorthodox things.........

19. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Funny, I thought of you ^ ^ during this discussion.

20. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Now, (not that I'm actually going to try this) why does everyone seem to think that the powder would explode, not just burn? We're talking modern smokless powder, not black powder, right?