CCP .22 caliber

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by pmdoit, Oct 5, 2017.

1. pmdoit

pmdoit Member

Does anybody carry a .22 or other small caliber for personal protection? I have medical restrictions due to brittle bones which makes me shy away from larger caliber. Any special ammo?

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

There are a lot of people that carry a 22 caliber handgun for protection. Ammo can be very picky from gun to gun. My two Ruger mk 22lr pistols can shoot just about any brand ammo but they will jam when shooting Aguilar Supers. My SR22 will shoot the Aguilar Supers no problems but the gun will jam when shooting Thunderbolt ammo which shoots fine in any of my other guns.

The good thing about shooting a 22lr handguns is you can practice till you can't pull the trigger anymore since the ammo is so cheap. 500 round brick of 22lr ammo can be bought for under $25.

Can a 22lr handgun be used for self defense? Yes it can and if you can hit a quarter size target multiple times with a 22lr then you can be fairly assured you can stop a bad situation and protect yourself.

The other plus for shooting 22lr handgun is you probably will not go deaf from shooting it or not nearly as quick as shooting a larger caliber. Most 22lr handguns are fairly light and recoil is about nothing to handle.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

pm, brittle bones are one thing, hand/wrist strength is another. If you can hold 30 ounces steady, a medium-size gun in 9-19mm, 45 auto, or 38 Special w/medium-power loads hadn't ought to stress your bones. Those cartridges also provide the option of non-metallic self-defense bullets [Ruger ARX for instance], which, because of their light weight, have significantly less recoil than standard bullets cause.

4. pmdoit

pmdoit Member

Thank you to both of you. Buster that's what I wanted to hear. Vthillman, imagine the 2x4's that your house is built with. Now build that house with 1x2's that's what my skeletal system is like. My oncologist warned against any impacts. Even driving a nail into a board could cause a stress fracture. I haven't had any in my arms yet but have had three stress fractures in my lower legs in the past for years. I fired several 9mm's at the range today and I think that that was pushing my limits. I am concerned about kill impact with .22 though. I know that bullet design and powder can make a difference also. I have no problem shooting straight out holding the bigger guns just worried that I could break a bone that would keep me from shooting anything.

5. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

There are a couple other options out there. One would be a 22 Magnum. You can buy ammo from Hornady and CCI/Speer that is loaded specifically for self defense. Another option might be the 22 TCM. I'm not sure how the recoil stacks up to 9mm but its got to be less.

6. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Maybe try a .380?

7. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

My dad, who lost his 9 year battle with bone cancer this year, had the brittle bone issue. His edc was a Ruger SR22. Carried it for 2 reasons. He could rack the slide and he shot it well.

His choice of ammo was basically anything except Federal bulk pack, his SR22 choked on it.

Was it the best choice for personal protection? For him it was. He had confidence in it and he shot it well.

pmdoit likes this.
  8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

OK, I get the picture, pm. 22LR it is. 22magnum would be OK for your bones probably, but not for your hearing. I still think 9mm in a steel gun shooting ARX would be OK in recoil, but that ammo is pretty expensive to practice with, and the noise level is iffy.

Good luck and smooth sailing.

9. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Bang for your buck....32acp,
    Potent enough, low recoil, lightweight guns.

Always got one in my pocket.

Jim

10. pmdoit

pmdoit Member

11. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Jim that a 32 is a good round as far as recoil comfort but the 32 ammo can be sort of costly, $20 for box of 50, and around here it is rather hard to find.

12. pmdoit

pmdoit Member

Sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad for years ago. I appreciate your input on this question.

13. mrmike7189

mrmike7189 Member

I agree a 22LR, 22 magnum or ,32acp,will be fine for concealed carry protection. One that was not mentioned is 25acp. I carried a beretta 950bs 25acp for 20 years until I sold it for a 380acp bodyguard. Loved that gun, recoils same as a 22lr

14. gwpercle

gwpercle Member

Mine is a S&W model 317 (kit gun) AirLite , w/ 3 inch barrel and adjustable HiViz sights.
    Reasons are : no slide to rack , HiViz front is easy to pick up, very light ( 11.7 ozs.) , just as easy to conceal as 2 inch barrel model , Adjustable rear sight ( BIG +) will shoot any 22 that chambers , short, long, LR , hi-velocity , standard velocity , target ammo...even blanks. Sight it for whatever your carry ammo will be ( mine is the CCI Mini-Mag )
    easy to render safe (open the cylinder) , no safety to fumble with no magazines to load (weak fingers ) no failures to feed or
    eject . Every round I have chambered , fired and were ejected (100 %)
    Holds eight (8) rounds and when I draw it it's ready to fire...pull the trigger.
    Slips in a belt holster or pocket with ease, it's so light and compact you hardly know it's there.
    Gary

SGW Gunsmith likes this.
  15. pmdoit

pmdoit Member

Interesting, I am going to check into that Gary.

16. phideaux

If cost is an issue, and if you can handle the recoil of a .22 , or .22 magnum ,

Im sure you woudn't have a problem with this one ....at about $200 .

Using full metal jacket ammo, much more potent than .22.

Keltec P32.jpg

Jim

17. pmdoit

pmdoit Member

Reliability would be my first concern. I have been thinking about a 32acp. I just started looking and haven't seen many 32's out there. Seems to be a discontinued caliber. Is the ammo readably available?

18. phideaux

No .32 acp is not discontinued,
    It.'s a very popular round,

All my Wal Marts, around me have it.
    $18.50 a box of 50.

I carry that Keltec every day as my backup.
    Those P32 Keltecs are very reliable.
    Most Gunshops , at least in my area , carry them.

Jim

19. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Surprisingly the .32 isn't very hard to find or expensive. I have one, one of my sweetest shooters:

IMG_1316.jpg

20. pmdoit

pmdoit Member

Ok guys... 8 months later and I have progressed from .22LR,to.380,9mm semi auto pistols. I now carry a .357 SP101 loaded w/ 38 special+p. Thanks for all the input. I just had to work thru the calibers and guns to get comfortable with them.