Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting a CB radio to use in my p/up and car. I was thinking of getting a radio that also has SSB{single side band} for being able to get out farther and less noise and traffic than the standard 40 channels has.
Thought it might be good for SHTF also.
Anybody have any input for me?

·
Registered
685 Posts
I used to run one in my truck driving days. There was not a lot of traffic on SSB. Don't know how it is today, but I would bet it hasent changed much. Most people use the standard channels.

Get your license and buy a 10 meter radio instead. Much more range. AAnd you are talking to real radio people, not a lot of riff raff.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Somehow I got the notion that CB was deader'n a doornail.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The last three times I got on the expressway I got stuck in traffic and once was for 2 hours. If I had a CB I could have gotten a traffic report about it and then would have taken another route.
The CB is not near as popular as it was except for on the highway. Home base stations I think have pretty much gone by the wayside.
I am not really interested in getting into Hamm radio. My dad had next to the highest license but I never cared for it. CQ20 CQ20 this is W---T. Geeze I heard that so often and so did the neighbor lady on her organ. Sometimes I heard it on my stereo. Sometimes his filters let some get by.

·
Patriot
2,182 Posts
I'm very curious as to how many people are still using CB radios.

I was thinking about getting a ham radio for when SHTF cause you know the net will get shut down and the TV news is well, the TV news.

A CB would be a lot easier than a ham. If you get one let us know how much radio traffic you find.
Break 19 .......

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just ordered a Uniden 980ssb. It has weather channels, 40 channel CB and SSB. I will let ya'll know how it works out.
SHTF might be closer than we have any idea of. To many things are happening militarily here and abroad to think otherwise.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
You can probably go to a thrift store, Salvation Army or antique store to find a CB radio anymore. Back in the 70's if you didn't have a CB radio you weren't worth a darn. I had 2 of them stolen plus on my El Camino they tore out the dash to get the radio. If the SHTF I'm sure we will find out soon enough. But if you think it helps, then by all means get one and give us the feedback. 10-4 good buddy!!!

This is the ole pineapple picker saying: Don't slack off, back off or jack knife. :rayoff:

Tommy

·
Registered
411 Posts
Wow, I have not even thought about a CB in like 25 years.

Remember Vegas and Dan Tanna's mobile phone the size of half a cinder block?

How cool was that to be able to just pick up a phone while driving and call anyone you wanted?

I remember looking into it and finding out that it was like $30 per month and something like a dollar a call.

In 1970 was it? 71? Geesh I can't remember, that was a boatload of money. Hell, gas had skyrocketed to 60 cents/gallon.

Doc

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In the late 80's early 90's a car phone cost thousands and were a hard sale at that cost. Then cell phones came and who could have imagined even kids would have cell phones? Now nobody could imagine being without a cell phone. Heck now people use cell phones as typewriters rather than talking on them.
Yeah this all makes CB radios seem like ancient history but there still is a place for them even if you can't text on them.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Learn something new every day....

I thought CB = Citizens Band.

a system of short-distance radio communications between individuals.

Jim

·
Registered
67 Posts
Still have a couple of them. One in my truck and one in my jeep. Not a ton of traffic on them now, but around the bigger cities you get a lot of chatter. One in my truck has the weather alert system and it will kick on and power the CB up even when it's turned off if the national weather service issues a warning in your area. Handy when your traveling but will scare the crap out of you when you've been driving for hours at 3am lol.

CB in the jeep is used when we trail ride in remote areas so we can keep up with everyone and everyone can stay informed when someone has a breakdown or needing assistance getting thru a nasty area on the trail.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CB is very limited to distance because it only has 4 watt power output but SSB, single side band, can have 12 watts and because of less traffic noise it can be heard much farther. Some people with SSB have talked to people in other states on what is called the skip.
I am willing to bet if STHF happens then CB talk will be on fire with people trying to find out what is going on. That's also my reason for wanting SSB capabilities. For what little it costs for the components it is actually a cheap alternative for communication.

In the old days 60's-70's people had to have a license to use CB but that has been eliminated. SSB needs no license either. Hamm radio can get very expensive with radio, antenna and tower. Hamm also requires a license that does require passing tests for each level licenses. The upper level tests are pretty tough from what I heard. My dad wanted the highest level license and studied and practiced for the test but his doctor said he shouldn't take the test because of the stress on him.

My dad was monitoring Hamm one Sunday when he got an SOS calling for a Hamm radio operator with a phone patch in the Washington area. My dad responded he was in Ohio and he did have a phone patch set up. They responded for him to stand by then gave him a number to call. The phone call went to the Pentagon and the phone patch was completed. They thanked my dad and offered him a tour of the Pentagon for his help.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Take a guess where my Uniden CB was made. Hint it wasn't in the USA.

·
Registered
685 Posts
On a clear night with good atmospheric conditions, you will be surprised how far you might talk. Single Side Band dosent have near the chatter that the regular channels have. Or at least it didn't. Like I said I used mine all the time. I did use a 10 meter tmostly though, the license for them are not hard to get at all.

If SHTF, you will want to be on the regular channels though, if for no other reason than that's where everyone is at. SSB would be for after you find out what's happened, then get by yourselves and talk.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does 10 meter sound like Donald Duck? That's what they sounded like on Dad's radio. I think he mostly operated on 20 meters that was why the CQ20 CQ20.
The hearing from far away is called hearing by the skip.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Does 10 meter sound like Donald Duck? That's what they sounded like on Dad's radio. I think he mostly operated on 20 meters that was why the CQ20 CQ20.
The hearing from far away is called hearing by the skip.
10 meter can be just as clear, or garbled, as any radio. A lot depends on atmospheric conditions. You can get your Technician license fairly easily. The requiment for Morse code testing was eliminated about 10 years ago. Those with a Technician license can operate a 10 meter radio up to 200 watts.

Skip is when your radio wave bounces off the ionosphere.

I used to be big in amateur radio. I graduated in the top 10 of my class (#9) at Communications and Electronics school at 29 Palms California when I was active in the Marine Corps. I worked at a Communications Center and spent a lot of time doing countermeasures and counter-countermeasures. I enjoyed that. I later spent time as NCOIC, mobile communications at my Marine Corps Reserve Unit. (I also spent time there as a small arms armorer, although I never went to school for it. OJT)

I was decreasingly active in CB and HAM until 2009, when I sold my last radio. I guess there is a little spark left though. This thread has gotten me interested again. I just found Galaxy DX94 100 watt for $360. Not bad, but what do I want more, another radio or that X-Caliber .277 WLV barrel and the BCM RKM rail??? :confused:

·
Registered
777 Posts
Learn something new every day....

I thought CB = Citizens Band.

a system of short-distance radio communications between individuals.

Jim
This goes back to the mid 60's among Ham operators(who actually had to take a test and be able to send and receive morse code to obtain a license. Also, they had to know something about Ohms law, radio frequency etc. With CB all you needed to do was buy a license without knowing anything!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I had no idea I needed a license to use my CB

Used em for I guess about 20 years.

Guess I dodged the wrath of any zealous FCC goons. :duck:

Doc

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
The FCC did away with CB licenses in 1983. In fact you can't even renew an old CB license now.
From what I understand the FCC will still crack down on people using linear amplifiers on their CB. But I think there are many that use them. I guess it goes along with catch me if you can.

I was but yet wasn't surprised my radio was made in Vietnam. Absolutely amazing how big business has given away the patents and product information to other countries. Then big business complains they can't compete with foreign imports. It is all about the big $ sign and just having to push paper instead of employees and fighting unions.
My work supplied uniform jeans were also made in Vietnam. Unreal how many people died in during the Vietnam war yet here we are today doing business with them like they are the local sears store. It seems we live in one screwed up country these days.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts