Cast Bullets

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by SGW Gunsmith, Mar 15, 2019.

1. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith Active Member

Back in the day, my shooting partner's father worked for Western Publishing down in Racine, WI. Some of you 'ol farts may remember the "Little Big Books" they produced, along with tons of coloring books.
    When they quit doing printing with type metal, Tim and I went there and picked up some of the best bullet casting composition stuff that I've ever encountered, including lead wheel weights. Driving home I swear, the rear bumper on my 1975 Ford F150 was throwing sparks into whomever was behind me.
    This hard lead rang like a bell when hit with a hammer and had a composition of 9% antimony that provided some really great cast Keith style 250 grain semi-wad cutters in .452 diameter for my Ruger Blackhawk.
    Does anyone here know of a supplier, either commercial or home grown, who cast hard bullets sized to the above described character?

2. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

You can still buy linotype!

3. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Cast Performance maybe?

4. noylj

noylj Member

Almost all commercial casting companies use alloys that are WAY too hard--18-22 BHN.
    Tell them the size you want or order them as-cast (no sizing or lube). I just lube 'em and shoot 'em.

5. MARYANN

MARYANN Member

I have bought From SNS Casting and like the bullets a bunch . I buy coated and mostly 240gr 44 Mag very hard . The Size is right good .431.