Case gauge vs chamber of barrel

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Tommycourt, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

During my reloading experience I case gauge ALL my rounds to ensure that they are not out of specs. I used a Wilson case gauge. When doing my .45 I have noticed that some fit tight in my case gauge. To make sure that they will chamber properly, I took my Commander 1911 barrel and did the "plunk" test on about 100 rounds. They fit ok in my barrel however since these are range rounds, I will tend to discard them after my next shooting. The rounds will drop into the gauge almost all the way and then get tight on the base of the gauge. I am wondering if others have had this occur and what would your suggestions be? I use a "half way" powder charge as these are practice rounds. Some of the rounds I gauged have only been fired once as I mark my rounds before going to the range and those happen to be Remington RN 230grn. Any advise is truly welcome. Note: I have also experienced this with 9mm and shot them without any incident although I have some reluctance to do so.
    Tommy

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Since this post is about reloading and ammo....off it goes to ammo and reloading..

Jim

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I freely admit I don't concern myself with either the case gauge or the plunk test. If something shows up during the 'standard procedure' of reloading, I'll pitch a case into the recycle box. Otherwise I follow the Alfred E. Neuman philosophy.

4. jeeper1

jeeper1 New Member

Two possibilities come to mind, improper sizing or spring back after sizing.
    The case gauge is sized for the tightest chambers and obviously your chamber isn't. I would not worry about it.