Case Colored Hardened Vaquero

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by Pgattas13, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Pgattas13

Pgattas13 New Member

Hello,

I came across a used 45LC colored case hardened Vaquero for $250. It appears to be in pretty much excellent shape. I had read that these had the tendency to rust easily since they weren't actually "case hardened" but treated to look like it, and Ruger discontinued it shortly after because of the rust issue. It does have a Bisley grip. I was thinking that the price wasn't too bad, and might look into having it blued, since the color hardening will eventually fade with use. apparently the previous owner just didn't use it enough.

Anyway, your thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated, and especially from anybody that has one or had one at some time.

Thank-you all very much.

2. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

Sounds like a great deal.

3. trainman

trainman Member

Sounds like a steal. I have had one since they came out in the 90's. I have shot it a lot and it looks and shoots just like it did when it was new.

4. Joew

Joew New Member

I agree, sounds like a great deal to me.

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Get it for sure...then post a picture, cause I would like to see it !!

BTW...I paid $500 back in 2005 for my stainless Bisley Vaquero.

6. dandzivi

dandzivi New Member

I agree with all those above, GO BACK AND BUY IT!

If you want the color case hardened look (and done CORRECTLY) send the frame to Turnbull Manufacturing.
    They do beautiful work and their prices are reasonable. I plan on sending the frame for my single six to them myself!

Dan

7. Grizz12

Grizz12 New Member

my ex brother in law had one and he couldnt hit the side of a barn with it yet everything I point at, I hit. He wouldnt sell it to me :cool: