Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took my new Mini 14 Tactical to the range to try it out. No failures to load or eject. Groupings were good.

After firing a couple of magazines, I checked one of the cartridge casings to check the primer strike and make sure no issues. What I found was the neck of the extracted cartridge casings were warped. It wasn’t just one or two, but almost all of them. Have never seen this before with any of my AR-15s.

The ammo is factory new, made in USA 5.56 brass M193 ball.

Anyone see this before or know what’s causing it? Safety issue?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Wow, very interesting. I notice the other day while looking for some ammo that a few of the top tier manufactures have ammo recalls which caught my eye because I have never heard of that. 9mm was one of them not sure about the others. Perhaps check out your manufacture and see if there are any open recalls on it. Who knows where they are sourcing their brass from, could be from Russia or China.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a mix of Frontier (with Hornady bullets and made in Nebraska) and the rest was Federal (made in Minnesota).

I’ve used ammo from the same batches with my AR-15s without seeing anything like that happen.

I guess the question for me is…is this likely an issue with the rifle? What would cause that to happen?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Damn good question Neil, get on the horn Monday to Ruger, upload the picture so they can see it. They'll have it sorted right quick. I'm guessing the brass is junk.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Looks to me like a ding caused during extraction when hitting the Op-rod. Mini 14's are way over gassed, and using higher pressure 5.56 can definitely cause this. There is nothing technically wrong with your mini. See what happens using standard brass case .223.

One way to reduce the chance of your brass getting dinged on extraction would be to install a reduced gas port bushing ( available at ASI ). I would start out at .055" and work your way smaller ( you can buy a package that comes with several different sizes), or another option is to install an adjustable gas block ( also sold by ASI).

A good gunsmith should be able to make these modifications for you, if you are not able to do so.
In the meantime,try to secure some standard .223 rem ammo to break your new mini in with. Break in for a mini is usually 200 - 300 rnds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks to me like a ding caused during extraction when hitting the Op-rod. Mini 14's are way over gassed, and using higher pressure 5.56 can definitely cause this. There is nothing technically wrong with your mini. See what happens using standard brass case .223.

One way to reduce the chance of your brass getting dinged on extraction would be to install a reduced gas port bushing ( available at ASI ). I would start out at .055" and work your way smaller ( you can buy a package that comes with several different sizes), or another option is to install an adjustable gas block ( also sold by ASI).

A good gunsmith should be able to make these modifications for you, if you are not able to do so.
In the meantime,try to secure some standard .223 rem ammo to break your new mini in with. Break in for a mini is usually 200 - 300 rnds.
Thanks, and I do have plenty of .223 REM to try and will give it a try. Prefer 5.56 though which was one of the reasons I got the Mini 14 Tactical chambered in 5.56.

I noticed what looked like brass marks on the outside of the op rod, but can’t figure out how spent casings would have hit in that spot. Can you show with a pic or drawing where the spent casing would be hitting and where I’d expect to see evidence of it?

I also found this thread which seems to also confirm what you said.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another thread that goes into the issue, referencing the same model I own. Seems this has been an issue for some time and the gas block is the most discussed remedy.

Will try .223 next trip to the range after speaking to the Ruger folks.

·
Registered
294 Posts
It's gassed at the factory in spec. for 5.56, try a heavier bullet. The main problem is inconsistency between ammo makers and even after you spend hundreds of dollars trying to find the ammo it likes you still can get inconsistency between batches.
One of the Big reasons people go into reloading is to get consistency.

Nobody should have to spend money on aftermarket parts or hundreds of dollars on ammo to get a gun to function right.
Whenever you see a manufacture say X amount of rounds for break-in run the other way, it's a gimmick, because they don't want you sending your gun in, it cost them money.

Perhaps 90% of all gun problems are related to ammo and in the case of autoloaders the magazines as well.

Good luck to you and lets hope your Mini doesn't turn into a Glock. :)
Money spent for competition is one thing, to just get the gun to work right another. But it's a wide market out there for the aftermarket crap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is nothing wrong with the mini. It functions as it was designed to. Ruger doesn't guarantee that you will be able to reuse spent brass.
My concern has nothing to do with reusing spent brass. I leave that on the range floor. I use factory new ammo only.

My concern was that the mangled casings were a symptom of a problem with ejection or some other issue with the rifle’s action.

Glad it doesn’t look like that’s the case.

·
Registered
84 Posts
One of the Big reasons people go into reloading is to get consistency.

Nobody should have to spend money on aftermarket parts or hundreds of dollars on ammo to get a gun to function right.
Whenever you see a manufacture say X amount of rounds for break-in run the other way, it's a gimmick, because they don't want you sending your gun in, it cost them money.

Perhaps 90% of all gun problems are related to ammo and in the case of autoloaders the magazines as well.

Good luck to you and lets hope your Mini doesn't turn into a Glock. :)
Money spent for competition is one thing, to just get the gun to work right another. But it's a wide market out there for the aftermarket crap.
The OP's Mini does function correctly. The factory manual also warns against using reloaded ammo. You can do what you want with your mini, but there is no reason for the OP to send his carbine back to Ruger.

Changing to an aftermarket gas port bushing enhances the function of the mini, and is this case with different types of firearms, the mini 14 and 30 series carbines benefit from some gunsmithing, but it is not required to function correctly. I have found that reduced diameter gas port bushings cutback on the violent metal to metal pounding on my mini, and I also have a 1911 bushing installed on the receiver end of the recoil spring. I do these things to preserve the life of my optics and dampen the harmonics to improve accuracy of my mini. Good luck

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well, depending on how 'ole Neil handles it (tone of voice) he may just get a free tune-up out of it from Ruger. They are well known in the industry for going far and above. I come from the old school, as in cheap. The last thing I'm doing is spending more money on an over priced gun to begin with.

If Ruger tells him to send it in, I'm guessing it comes back with a note that says, __ "replaced extractor, polished the feed ramp and adjusted the gas system" and maybe even a free mag.(y)

Possibly that line of bulsht about reloads, which is lawyer code for no liability for kaboom.
But yeah it's all good, he'll get it straighten out. Best thing to do is stay off the gun forums.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, depending on how 'ole Neil handles it (tone of voice) he may just get a free tune-up out of it from Ruger. They are well known in the industry for going far and above. I come from the old school, as in cheap. The last thing I'm doing is spending more money on an over priced gun to begin with.

If Ruger tells him to send it in, I'm guessing it comes back with a note that says, __ "replaced extractor, polished the feed ramp and adjusted the gas system" and maybe even a free mag.(y)

Possibly that line of bulsht about reloads, which is lawyer code for no liability for kaboom.
But yeah it's all good, he'll get it straighten out. Best thing to do is stay off the gun forums.
I’m always tactful and respectful. Being an a-hole is never the best first choice. 🙂

But it’s a brand new rifle. So unless the fine folks at Ruger believe there is a defect they need to repair or replace, then no need for anything else.

Not having ever seen brass casings mangled before using any of my ARs, I wasn’t sure if there was a problem. If the rifle is over gassed by design, then not sure there’s much to do, since I doubt I’d pay more to swap out the gas bushing or other aftermarket fixes.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Good to hear Neil glad Ruger clarified that for you. You’ll have to roll with it and accept the mediocrity. Sounds like your thread gave you the confirmation you knew all along.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Looks normal to me. My cases look like that all the time. I get lots of dented cases. The way the mini 14 violently ejects cases 20 feet away, it hits the op rod on the way out and it if hits rocks, walls, pavement it adds even more dents.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts