Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, here's the story-
the old guy at the gun store, been shooting for 60+ years, made himself a leather holster for his commander size Nighthawk, it's got an old time look to it. trigger and trigger guard are fully exposed, grip is fully exposed, strap goes between the cocked hammer to a thumb break.
"well that looks dangerous". "it's supposed to, it's a gun". "what's with the exposed trigger?"
"I want to get a full grip with my finger on the trigger, coming out of the holster". "but you could shoot yourself". "no, maybe you could, I know how to run a 1911". "but". "look, you get a grip, finger on the trigger, ready for business, you come out of the holster and as you get on target, the thumb pushes the safety down, in that position with the thumb resting on the safety in firing position, you press the trigger. the gun is totally safe until the thumb does it's job."

so, unlike a single action revolver, where the thumb cocks the hammer, on the 1911 the thumb throws the switch from off to on. I don't have a problem with this.
I do have problems with single action, striker fired guns that don't have a switch.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Me three...

Jim

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://www.willghormley-maker.com/1911.html see these holsters. don't know how old this info is or if Tandy still has the patterns. in the "old days", the Tom Threepersons holster was popular, fitted("boned" around gun). some LE carried exposed trigger revolvers, fitting was so tight the cylinder would not turn and a DA couldn't be fired in the holster. the 1911 holsters are take offs on the Gen. Patton holster. the picture with 2 revolvers and one 1911 in the middle is very much like the one I'm talking about. it's a belt holster but not high ride. (I think the gun and holster go in the waistband for the walk to and from the car and then onto the cars console).

Attachments

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Old thread but thought I would comment on it.
I like the strap over the rear slide blocking hammer but I don't like the exposed trigger. I guess while the gun is in the holster with the top strap on then the open trigger isn't a problem. But when the strap is taken off for a code red then that trigger exposed in the holster bothers me. The biggest reason I don't carry my 1911 is because of my thoughts about the safety lever accidently getting pushed or knocked out of safe position and the 1911 trigger having such a light trigger. I guess this also follows why I don't care for Glock's trigger center lever safety. I consider that to be almost like no safety whatsoever. This is just my opinion which could be un-warranted and I am sure I feel some heat coming my way saying it.
I know the flame throwers have been lit up before about the cocked and locked 1911 and the Glock safety being so safe and only a person just to dumb to understand how safe it is would be concerned. Just like I have heard people say being Glocked was just by people that made mistakes. Well you know what? That is what safeties are for.........to stop mistakes from turning out very badly. IMO safeties were made because the safety between our ears sometimes fails also. So it doesn't hurt to have another protection, a better mouse trap, against an accidental discharge. I have seen 1911 safety malfunctions so I know it can and does happen. IMO the only safety is to keep your booger finger out of the trigger guard until gun is sighted on target to be destroyed.
look at it that we all should do what we believe is safest for our own safety. That's why I carry a revolver with a good trigger action as my daily CC. That's why I don't knock someone's belief in the 1911 safety lever or the Glock trigger safety. If it satisfies their safety beliefs then have at it.
I would love to carry my Kimber but I just can't get over my safety issues concerning cocked and locked carry with it. My left knee tends to hug my right knee when I carry a 1911 cocked and locked. Different strokes for different folks doesn't make anyone right or wrong over another. Or should I say what is right for you doesn't have to mean it is right for me.
Opinions are just personal beliefs that we have to deal with ourselves.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I noticed something that made me laugh. You know how sometimes you might be watching a commercial that had a pretty girl in it but you couldn't tell afterward what the commercial was about. But you could remember the girl. Well I realized I was looking more at the guns then the holsters even though I could mostly only see the gun butts. LOL

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
I am like Buster. I carry my Ruger SR1911 in condition #2. There is one in the pipe but the hammer is not cocked. Should a BG approach I might be in trouble as I would have to cock it to use it. But I am not completely sure that you might not run against something and the safety would come down leaving you with a cocked gun and ready to fire. It it takes me a second and a half then that's what I'll do. Safety comes first!!!
Tommy

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
The venerable 1911 was made to be carried cocked and locked...I carry it condition 1...Round chambered, full magazine, hammer cocked, safety on.

That 1911 holster is nice...but I still go with the above statement.

·
Banned
475 Posts
If you have a proper holster, condition 1 isn't a problem, as far as I'm concerned. A safety, a grip safety, what more do you need? If you can't carry a firearm in the manner that it was intended, maybe you want to re examine your carry firearm. There is no time to take off the safety, and cock the thing. JMHO.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
If you have a proper holster, condition 1 isn't a problem, as far as I'm concerned. A safety, a grip safety, what more do you need? If you can't carry a firearm in the manner that it was intended, maybe you want to re examine your carry firearm. There is no time to take off the safety, and cock the thing. JMHO.
Only problem I have carrying it in a conditon 1 is the safety is on the left side of my 1911's which we all know. With my back in the shape it is in, and I wear OWB, I am afraid when I get out of my car or cars the safety COULD slip down into changing it to a #1 condition and I would be unaware. I just have to hope that the BG doesn't spot me first or I would have time to cock it. Remember I do have 1 in the pipe so it's a matter of cocking the hammer. I am too old to run and don't have the flexibility I used to have 20 yrs. ago. That is my reasoning. It may sound stupid to some, but safety has to come first for me!! Not contradicting you, just expressing my view point.
Tommy

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Tommy , are you left handed, carry on your left side?

Also, have you ever looked into , IWB ,Remora holsters?

I never did like IWB, until I got the Remora, now, thats the only way I carry. Left handed here.

Its magic..:), how this thing sticks in place and is soooo comfortable.

Just FYI.

Jim

·
Banned
475 Posts
Only problem I have carrying it in a conditon 1 is the safety is on the left side of my 1911's which we all know. With my back in the shape it is in, and I wear OWB, I am afraid when I get out of my car or cars the safety COULD slip down into changing it to a #1 condition and I would be unaware. I just have to hope that the BG doesn't spot me first or I would have time to cock it. Remember I do have 1 in the pipe so it's a matter of cocking the hammer. I am too old to run and don't have the flexibility I used to have 20 yrs. ago. That is my reasoning. It may sound stupid to some, but safety has to come first for me!! Not contradicting you, just expressing my view point.
Tommy
The safety on my 1911 is also on the left side. I have never had the safety lever move. I am in the habit of checking it when I have to make certain moves like getting out of a car. If you could get in the habit of checking after certain movements, I don't see a problem.................

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
The safety on my 1911 is also on the left side. I have never had the safety lever move. I am in the habit of checking it when I have to make certain moves like getting out of a car. If you could get in the habit of checking after certain movements, I don't see a problem.................
beretta,

Problem I have is I am right handed and like I said I don't have an IWB. I have an OWB without the safety strap. That means as I pull the pistol out of my holster I have to have my thumb on the hammer as I pull it out. It makes it a little slower but I can get it out fairly fast (for my age). As soon as the hammer is back I use my boogered up right thumb and push up on the safety until I am ready to shoot. I have an old Vette (88) and it sits way low so it is really hard to get out let alone get out in a hurry. It's like everything else in life, we have to take our chances and hope God is on our side. Thanks for your thoughts though!!!
Tommy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts