Can I Show You All My Single Six ?

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by jpsbgt, Nov 9, 2017.

1. jpsbgt

jpsbgt New Member

Hello everyone this is my first post on your fine site. I wanted to show you my pride and joy ! It's a Single Six three screw I found sitting in a pawn shop in Wallace ID. Not being familiar with them I didn't realize how special they are by not being tampered with by folks. The gun was basically untouched when I got it except for a lot of the bluing being worn off from holster wear. It came with two LR cylinders but I did locate a mag cylinder soon after. For having fixed sights it's a real shooter. Figuring I will never sell it I decided to refurbish it a bit. I sent it to a well respected gentleman in ID. He suggested doing nothing more then re bluing it but I did ask that he polish the back strap and ejector housing plus reassemble using stainless screw where possible. When I got it back the stock grips looked terrible against the jet black blue so I found and installed a set of water buffalo grip in stead. I know some feel you should not play around with a classic but I do like the way it looks now and i plan on handing it down within the family in the future....thanks for letting me share my thoughts...Jack

Attached Files:

zippo9 likes this.
  2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Looking good, Jack. Welcome to RT

3. 67stingray

67stingray Member

Nice looking Single Six, something to be proud of.

4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome,

and that is a great looking single six,

Yep, one to be proud of.

Jim

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the R/T Jack !!

Nice "Six" shooter...

6. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Very nice!

Welcome to the RugerTalk! :welcome:

7. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

Skeeter Skelton used to polish the grip frames of some of his Blackhawks.

8. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member

I'm just going to call this a beautiful Pinto Single Six revolver. :cool:

Shooter likes this.
  9. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Stunning! Thank you for sharing and Welcome!!! Happy you’ve joined us!

10. zippo9

zippo9 Member

That Sir, is a nice looking six-gun. Makes me wonder about it's back story.

11. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

That makes for a very nice Six. I've seen a few in person that have been polished like yours.

It makes a plain old Blackhawk, or Single Six, into something special you can be proud of. :Cooltu:
    (Of course we're proud of every Blackhawk). :D

:usa:

12. jpsbgt

jpsbgt New Member

13. jpsbgt

jpsbgt New Member

Thanks everyone for your comments ! I first thought about just leaving it as I found it, but figured I couldn’t hurt it much by personalization a bit...jack

14. Frontiersman

Frontiersman Active Member

The old three screws are my favorite, I enjoy listening to those extra clicks when you cock the action. Assuming yours is an unconverted model, I expect you have been told to use caution when loading all chambers. In theory you can drop the gun on the hammer and have a round go off. I have no doubt this is possible, but have never seen it, or known anyone who has admitted to it. I personally will load six when actively shooting. If I intend to holster and carry, I will load 5 resting the hammer on the empty chamber. That revolver will bring many years of enjoyable shooting.

15. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I would think most newer guns have the hammer block so can have a full cylinder safely.

16. Frontiersman

Frontiersman Active Member

You are correct, New Models have a transfer bar safety. They have a two pin action.

The OP stated a 3 screw, which would be an Old Model. Old Models do not have a transfer bar safety, unless sent back to Ruger for conversion. The recall and conversion is still in effect today.

17. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

If sent back they convert it and return all removed parts so you still have all original parts. Once they convert it they will once again work on it if needed. There is no charge for the conversion not even shipping, but without the conversion they will not fix it. All that said, I have the 45 Colt unmodified. Load one chamber skip one and load the rest. Cock it and lower onto the empty chamber.

18. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Almost forgot, allot of us change grips, just keep the original case you ever decide to sell it.

19. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member

20. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Now just what would you have done if we said NO you can't show us your single six? LOL I see you are a believer in do it then ask forgiveness later. Just pulling your leg....sharp looking six you have there and it makes nice eye candy.